Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Mosin Nagant M38 Carbine

Bek
interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Bek interpolator
Latest:

OP:
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Early bakes — I'll likely do some more work on the zBrush parts, as well as NDO in all the little details. Then it's on to texturing. Though as you can see I already jumped ahead and started the 7.62x54R round.

Also there's something that separates the mosin nagant from any of the other weapons in my portfolio. Any guesses? It's not anything super obvious (and there's a little hint for you).

Replies

• Doomathon
    Offline / Send Message
    Doomathon polycounter lvl 4
    Hey there,

Good start, the mechanical pieces are looking good but the wood looks off to me.. The cuts and scrapes make it look way too soft.

Looking forward to the progress on this!
  • Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Started texturing:

Doomathon wrote: »
    the wood looks off to me.. The cuts and scrapes make it look way too soft.
    The untextured pics were in some ways a "worst case scenario" for selling the wood material (it was mostly to show the baked detail clearly). As you can see when textured the damage is a lot less pronounced; a higher roughness mutes a lot of the sculpted stuff. But the sculpt is done in layers so if I do decide I need to tone it down that's no problem.

I think the wood base is okay at the moment; I've yet to add a lot of detail to the metals (only just started really) so that's the main thing I'll be doing tomorrow — the mismatch between the clean metal and worn stock is probably the first thing people will notice currently. I'm also still considering how I want to handle the serial numbers on the bolt; I didn't find a matching font so I might try doing it freehand. Substance painter should also make stamping the various Tula markings quite easy.

Here's some of the material reference I'm using.
  • igi
    Offline / Send Message
    igi polycounter lvl 12
    cool beans. digging the wood details
  • Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Thanks igi! Long time no see. Though I haven't frequented the hangouts that much recently.

Anyway here's some dirty bolt action:

• Har
    Offline / Send Message
    Har polycounter lvl 3
    That last image looks really good, nice subtle marks and some smudge here and there.
  • Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Trying keyshot for a nice highpoly render:

• theSixtyEight
    Offline / Send Message
    theSixtyEight polycounter lvl 7
    thats some sexy-ass mosin ;)
  • Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Thanks Pavol!

Texture update. Still working on the metals. Substance painter's 1.6 update was pretty cool (and rather well timed)
  • Gazu
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 11
    I would say a mix of Trim Dynamic and Orb
  • Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Mostly trim dynamic + clay buildup, maybe a dash of dam_standard and clay tubes. Working in layers was probably the most important thing as it allowed me to easily tweak things without having to redo the whole area. Here are some screengrabs from zBrush:

• Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Decided to change how I was detailing the wood (albedo and normal). Also removed the older png's in this thread in favour of jpeg's. I think next update I'll add a marmoset viewer link.

• Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Set this up in arma 3 for a test:

http://gfycat.com/IdealisticSmugFawn

Unfortunately A3 has no bolt-action animations or support for important features like manual bolting or shell ejection delay so I probably won't take the arma 3 port any further. Still cool to see it in-engine though.
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    Nice, dude. Is getting stuff into A3 much of a hassle? Seems like a good way to present finished guns.
  • Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Unfortunately yes it is difficult and often unintuitive; Real Virtuality's engine has old roots and it shows. There is also a lack of tutorials / up to date information, the BIS wiki is generally helpful but that's by no means a complete reference. Because of that I'm putting together my own tutorial just to have one complete guide from start to finish and links to everything (hopefully) you need to know. It won't be a perfect guide since I'm new to a3 editing myself and don't know everything, but it should at least fill some of the gap.

There are also some unfortunate limitations like no per-pixel coloured spec (I used a second material for the mosin's brass with tinted spec in the material, probs not ideal from a performance perspective)

That aside, it's actually pretty cool to get your weapon in-game and working. In learning 3d art I got caught up in the how and forgot the why; to make awesome content for games (I think my original intent in learning 3d art was to learn to make props for levels, and here I am x years later making guns...). And Arma has so many interesting parameters for weapons it really makes it hard for me to get interested in other games — I did some cfg work for a a3 mod and it was interesting and quite fun how balance and realism was affected just through the weapon/ammo config, like giving old guns a lower coefficient for their muzzle velocity, heavier and longer weapons a higher inertia, getting realistic cycle rates or ballistic coefficients, dispersion, configuring optics and giving them real reticles with working mil dots for ranging... damn Arma's cool.

If I make a weapon more suitable for usage in Arma (Basically this means a DMR since why use anything else ever) I'll likely port that, though I feel for something to really shine in arma it would need custom sounds and mayyyybe custom hand animations, depending on how dissimilar it is to vanilla arma stuff.
  • Bek
  • Bek
  • Tectonic
    Offline / Send Message
    Tectonic polycounter lvl 10
    this looks awesome! the wood looks a little too shiny to me. not sure if its a little high on the gloss, or the spec, but its making the wood look very heavily lacquered instead of just stained or painted. if you're not already tired of the project, I think making the cuts and scrapes rougher/less glossy would help a lot. 
  • ComradeDispenser
    Offline / Send Message
    ComradeDispenser polycounter lvl 3
    Wood looks just fine to me
  • Jaston3D
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaston3D polycounter lvl 8
    I think the wood needs a little more color variation and wood grain running though it. The material looks a little bit fake because of it. Otherwise great work!
  • cookedpeanut
    Offline / Send Message
    cookedpeanut polycounter lvl 12
    I own a real deac Mosin Nagant, let me know if you need any reference images for any specific parts...
  • Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Tectonic said:
    this looks awesome! the wood looks a little too shiny to me. not sure if its a little high on the gloss, or the spec, but its making the wood look very heavily lacquered instead of just stained or painted. if you're not already tired of the project, I think making the cuts and scrapes rougher/less glossy would help a lot. 
    Jaston3D said:
    I think the wood needs a little more color variation and wood grain running though it. The material looks a little bit fake because of it. Otherwise great work!
    Thanks for the crits — I think some of my trouble has come from a lack of focus on one specific look. Realising that I picked one ref I really liked and concentrated on that. So for now I've toned down the heavy wear, re-did the wood grain, and tweaked the roughness. Different HDRI's can affect how rough a surface looks quite drastically so I've been cycling through more environments in order to find a base value that works for more than just one or two. Here's what I've come up with for now:

Marmoset Viewer (11MB)
    I might do a clean variant sometime as well.
    I own a real deac Mosin Nagant, let me know if you need any reference images for any specific parts...
    Thanks for the offer! It's probably a bit late for me at this point, but if you ever feel like taking reference pictures I'd recommend the interior parts and other small details as they were the most elusive. Though the mosin is a fairly common rifle so there's already a lot of content out there. I found the Hickok45 videos quite useful myself.
  • Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    After a short break doing other stuff, I'm ready to call this finished:

Marmoset Viewer + more pics on my site here. Also on Artstation.