Home General Discussion

Advice: Process for designing (or hiring someone) for this sort of 2D Graphic:

Hi everyone,

I'm a programmer, and I'm at the point where I need to start getting some graphics done. I'm considering doing them myself, and on that note, I'd like to ask what the process is for designing a simple (isometric/top-down) 2D character which I want to give a basic walk animation. One such as this: http://vaevictisgame.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/orc-warrior-store-512.png

I'm looking at tutorials, and courses, and want to ask what the best program to use is in my case? I have Adobe CC, so I have Illustrator, Photoshop, Flash, Aftereffects, etc.

Do I draw them in Illustrator and move them to flash, for example? Do they need to be drawn in parts? What sort of tutorials should I be looking at for the animation?

The other question I have is about hiring someone to do that level of graphic. It only needs to be cartoony and quite simple, with a forward walk animation, from a top-down isometric view.

How much should I be looking to pay for said graphic? Is it a time consuming thing on their part, or would what I want be a relatively small task? (I would provide example assets which I like the look of.) I'd need them at a resolution of about 512x512 (or maybe 1024x1024)

I would really appreciate any input on this matter!

Replies