Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Robert Harrison

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
poopstick polycounter lvl 3
This'll mostly be for my low poly adventures, experiments and what not. I'm open to critique as I want to eventually find a commercial style people like :) I really like this forum and the people on it, so figured this would be a nice place to settle down for a while.

You can find me on TWITTER for even more stuff

I'm also on TUMBLR if that's more yo thang

Replies

• poopstick
    Offline / Send Message
    Update #1 "Mic n Amps"

Started splicing together a few bits and pieces over the weekend and slowly started to recreate my bedroom. I really like using solid colour textures at the moment, rather than relying on the engine to create shadows I like to add darker shades my self with materials to accentuate the highlights. So far I'm sticking to the single 2 colour palette with a few different tones for shade. I really want to use real flow and throw sticky green gunk over the scene though :D

Orthographic render

My main goal is to create a style that's replicatable quickly, a style that doesn't require weeks slaving over a single piece to the point that you can't stand the sight of it any more!

Thanks for looking, I'll be trying to keep on top of this the best I can, but my main priority is working on my game at the moment.
  • poopstick
    Offline / Send Message
    Update #2 "You're in a desert"

Decided to take the style and focus on a single asset, i think it came out really nice. At first I started with 2 blue tones and 2 pink tones as my aim is create objects in the most simplest of palettes but with at least two different colours. As I was etching in all my shade I started to feel limited so I picked out two more darker blue tones to help with that.

Since I texture in all the shading myself for compete control, these models take quite a while to produce, but I see them more as art than an asset so it's worthwhile, plus it's so much fun.

Bonus points if you know what this machine actually is :) 
  • poopstick
    Offline / Send Message
    Update #3 "Bishop"

I've started modelling Bishop out of alien, I'll be doing the body soon, but for now I just wanted to test to see if heads work in this style.

So many colour palettes to choose from!

• poopstick
    Offline / Send Message
    Update #4 "Bishop and Body"

Been quite busy lately so not had time to work on anything personal but managed to get this model finished up today, I added the body and guts to bishop, it's pretty gruesome :open_mouth: 

• Coreyh
    Offline / Send Message
    Coreyh polycounter lvl 4
    I really like that last one. Would be awesome to see a game done in that style.
  • Kurt Russell Fan Club
    Offline / Send Message
    Kurt Russell Fan Club polycounter lvl 9
    great fucking thread.  I love that bishop and body diorama
  • poopstick
    Offline / Send Message
    Update #5 "Blade Runner Gun"

Been super busy for the last month, only just managed to get around to starting my next piece. I'm working Deckard's gun from Blade Runner this time. I'm trying to go as illustrative as possible as I don't want it to just be a exact copy.

• nekema
    Offline / Send Message
    nekema polycounter lvl 8
    Love your whole style, it's really unique, don't see much work like it. Definitely gonna sub.
  • poopstick
    Offline / Send Message
    @nekema Thanks for the kind words!

Update #6 "Monkey Island"

Lately I've been moving away from my solid colour unlit style and have been experimenting with rendering and finding ways to improve the image in photo shop. I decided to create some Monkey Island 2 related art as I adore that game.

Here's some progress on the current scene I'm working on.

The render was ok but it lacked a focus so I decided to model Guybrush Threepwood and make him the focal point. 

Not quite finished yet as I'd like to add a little bit more detail and create the bar keep character as well. Overall I'm happy with the outcome so far.

If all goes well I'd like to make a few scenes from my favourite games and films in this low poly style.

Thanks for reading, feel free to ask me any questions here, or over at my http://twitter.com/vandam1989

• poopstick
    Offline / Send Message

Update #7 "Final Fantasy 7 - 7th Heaven"

Ok so it looks like I'm going to be making a set of famous video game bars. When I started working on this you can see I started by making the room exactly like the reference material, but decided to make some creative choices of my own such as size, spacing and colours. I feel like cramming it all in more made it feel more cute, which is a weird thing to describe a model as, but hey I think it's cute..

Here's a more detailed look at my process, each step is essentially me becoming frustrated and taking a break, and the next is me coming back and trying something new. I continue this process until I get something that makes me go. OOOOOH. I achieved OOOOOH at about stage 5.

Thanks for looking! Links in my signature.