Home Technical Talk

MightyBake Tool Announce

Replies

• mightybake
    Offline / Send Message
    mightybake polycounter lvl 5
    Currently I have it where you can tune a global distance for the whole mesh. I don't have any per-edge features.
  • OccultMonk
    Offline / Send Message
    OccultMonk interpolator
    Can you link lowpoly and highpoly meshes by name to prevent intersection baking errors? Like in some other baking solutions? For example with suffix _HP and _LP. Or does the closest search method work as well? (sorry haven't been able to test it yet).

Can you bake HP material ID's to the lowpoly mesh? So when I set material ID's in 3dsmax for the highpoly mesh, are they used or only the lowpoly material ID's?

About the rounded corners: Is this already available in the beta version? Can you add multiple maps each with a different rounded corner setting? Then I would be able to blend them in post (PS/Substance Designer) Based on for example an Color ID map or by hand. An other solution would be to use Mat_ID or vertex color for setting individual rounded corner roundness settings.
  • kman108
    Offline / Send Message
    kman108 polycounter lvl 10
    OccultMonk wrote: »
    Can you link lowpoly and highpoly meshes by name to prevent intersection baking errors? Like in some other baking solutions? For example with suffix _HP and _LP.

+1
  • flipside8404
    I am planning to get Modo 901. Is there a feature like the Maya shelf for modo? Thanks
  • gloriousczar
    Offline / Send Message
    gloriousczar polycounter lvl 6
    Hey Rob, we've been having issues with Mightybake 1.4.4 at work. Whenever someone tries to bake a matID, height or displacement map, the map just bakes black. They bake properly when you bake a normal map and on of those other maps at the same time though. Could we get a fix for that?
  • malcolm
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    Hey, our licenses don't seem to work this morning. The software says successfully licensed, but this stays in demo mode? Please help no one can use the software today.
  • schmaled
    Offline / Send Message
    schmaled polycounter lvl 10
    Same as malcolm, stuck in demo mode.
  • mightybake
    Offline / Send Message
    hey folks, I'm really sorry about the license server issues today. Our ISP force updated some of our website and it caused some issues. It should be back up and running, let me know if you have any more issues.
  • schmaled
    Offline / Send Message
    We are back in business here. Thanks for the fix Rob!
  • Spoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    Neox wrote: »
    whaaa :o

i need time to test this

but how do you handle smoothinggroups then?

Isnt it similar to Xns 'blockers' ?
  • mightybake
    Offline / Send Message
    @OccultMonk - name linking. that's a neat idea. I'm not sure exactly how to do it yet, as checking each surface would slow the baker down, but let me think about it. The closest transfer setting may be what you are looking for in terms of interpenetrating objects.

Multiple rounded corner settings, I'll keep that in mind and see if I can figure it out. I haven't released it yet, still working on some visual artifacts.
  • mightybake
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Folks,

I've just posted the latest Mightybake, version 1.4.5.  It's a small update with some bug fixes.

- [Fixed] Baking maps other than normal maps turn out black if not also baked with a normal map
    - [Fixed] When using a license server, client loses lease on second boot

I'm still working on rounded edge baking and some speed optimizations.

Rob.
  • mightybake
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi folks,

for those interested in bakes using names to attach high to low within a scene, what would you think about the following workflow.

- name your low poly object whatever you want, say box01 and plane01,
    - export the low poly scene 
    - name your high poly objects anything that starts with those names, say, box01high or box01_hp, whatever, even if it had the same name box01,
    - export the high poly scene
    - turn on named transfer option in might bake
    - then any objects that contain the low poly name will be used to bake that object.  

This means you can do a single normal bake without exploding your objects.

• mightybake
    Offline / Send Message
    @neox - when you are doing your maya comparison are you taking that model into a game engine or maya/mental Ray renderer?  MightyBake assumes that you are using a real-time renderer.  If you are using Maya's renderer, or another offline renderer, I will need to add a software rasterizer rather than GPU only to make them match 100%.
  • mightybake
    Offline / Send Message
    @OccultMonk the material IDs should come from the high res already, unless I don't understand your point.
  • MichaelF
    Offline / Send Message
    MichaelF polycounter lvl 11
    The naming thing would be super awesome!
  • mightybake
    Offline / Send Message
    Any other features you'd like to see?
  • kman108
    Offline / Send Message
    will there be an api?  would be nice to plug mightybakes functionality into a ui in max.   and hurray for lowpoly highpoly matching via naming conventions, i use that in my current max baker and makes all the difference when working on complicated assets.
  • kman108
    Offline / Send Message
    another feature that would be great, and forgive me if this is already in the works, but cavity/curvature maps - our texturing process relies on them
    edit:  nm saw all the other posts
  • pOgOstyle
    Offline / Send Message
    pOgOstyle polycounter lvl 8
    The possiblity to cache the highpoly object for faster rebakes like in Knald. As an check option.
  • kman108
    Offline / Send Message
    also the option to bake into pre-existing files.  this is handy if you only need to rebake a small part of your asset and would like to skip baking an enitre 10 mil poly mesh again
  • malcolm
    Offline / Send Message
    We would like the name linking feature that sounds nice.
    Also the caching the high poly would be helpful since we update the low poly way more frequently than the high poly, would save a lot of time especially when doing test bakes.
    We're also still interested in the rounded corner baking and the ability to blend the edges out to surface normals with some kind of distance setting to adjust the fade. That substance video someone posted looked like  good workflow if that was directly in mightybake.
  • mightybake
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone.  It sounds like the name feature & caching are pretty important.  
  • oglu
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    any chance to get UDIM support..?
  • schmaled
    Offline / Send Message
    I would really benefit from the caching the high poly. I definitely update the low more often. It would make iteration way faster.
  • gloriousczar
    Offline / Send Message
    gloriousczar polycounter lvl 6
    I asked a while back but I would also really like to have the ability to smooth my mesh in Mightybake instead of smoothing in Maya first then exporting. And if it could support crease edges too that would be awesome.
  • mightybake
    Offline / Send Message
    @oglu - how do you see the udim workflow?
  • mightybake
    Offline / Send Message
    For those interested in caching, I will likely implement it as an option from the application menus

Caching
    - None
    - File 
    - Memory 

You would pick one of these options.  

File - this option will convert the incoming high poly to an internal format that is much faster to load

Memory - this keeps the high poly in memory between bakes.  This may have performance impact on your other applications for large scenes.

if you change an option that requires a re-cache, it will reload the high poly file.

thoughts?
  • schmaled
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Rob,

These options sound really good to me.

I would probably mostly use the Memory option, depending on the performance hit to other apps; although, if the loading of the high poly becomes fast that may not actually be an issue.

Thanks!
  • oglu
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    the baker should bake all available uv tiles outside the 0-1 space... if the UDIM feature is turned on...
    terrain patches does have multiple uv tiles or even highend chars in games...
    for feature film nearly every asset does have multiple UDIMS...

best would be mudbox and mari naming conventions...

• mightybake
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll put it in the next feature release.
  • oglu
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    thanks thats great...!
  • mightybake
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi polycount,

I've implemented in-memory caching for high poly.  It will only cache the needed attributes for your bake.  If you are switching between types of bakes, make sure to do one bake with all the maps first to cache everything you need.  I'll post an update when you can download it.

Rob
  • malcolm
    Offline / Send Message
    When you say type of bake do you mean different map types or some other settings?
    And could we theoretically just bake all the maps at 128x128 in a couple seconds and then have the high poly pre cached for all future bakes we do after that at higher resolutions?
    What is the criteria for breaking the cache file, is it just the time stamp on the high poly .fbx?
  • mightybake
    Offline / Send Message
    @malcolm It just have to be different map types.  The settings within them, or the global bake settings don't matter.  For example, if you aren't baking vertex colours, they aren't loaded.  If you have a lot of maps set up to bake, just do one bake with all of them enabled, then you are fine to toggle them on and off as you go.

If MightyBake notices that you have added or removed a high poly, changed the path or the files' time stamp is newer than the cached one, it will reload all of them.
  • 2bytes
    Offline / Send Message
    2bytes polycounter lvl 2
    Awesome to hear about UDIM support...this would be the only app that can do that...making it unique indeed.  
  • mightybake
    Offline / Send Message
    @2bytes and @oglu - what kind of bakes do you usually use UDIM for?  normal? material id? ao?
  • mightybake
    Offline / Send Message
    @oglu I have a first attempt at UDIM support.  It supports all map types except displacement and curvature.  It also doesn't support pixel blur.  I don't know how to use mud box.  How can I test it?
  • oglu
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    thanks will give it a try...
    we bake displacement and the hard nut vector dispmaps... :dizzy: 
    there should be a demo version for mudbox... what do you like to know... only the mudbox naming conventions or how to use it..?
  • mightybake
    Offline / Send Message
    When you use scalar displacement, do you use world space displacement or a normalized value for the image (0 to 1?)  What component depth do you use?

I can add the vector displacement easily, but it will just be the displacement along the transfer direction.

I'm just looking for a way to test my UDIM output.  But I think I can do that i Maya.  I will update soon when it works.
  • mightybake
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Folks,

New MightyBake version, 1.4.6 here http://www.mightybake.com/demo/.

Please give our new memory caching feature and UDIM support a try.  If you find any issues with either, please post or e-mail support@mightybake.com.

Rob
  • pOgOstyle
    Offline / Send Message
    pOgOstyle polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks for the cache system. Great improvement for my workflow.
  • schmaled
    Offline / Send Message
    Just tried the cache system and it's amazing. Going to save me tons of time. Great improvement.
  • mightybake
    Offline / Send Message
    @pogostyle @schmaledGreat!  Glad to hear it. 
  • mightybake
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been reading some other forum threads about people complaining that mighty bake only supports a single low poly file.  Is this a serious problem?  Should I support multiple low poly files?
  • oglu
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    yes multiple lowpoly objects would be great... for mechanichal stuff we often need to "explode" the low and highres model... to avoid to dark areas for ao baking... 
  • mightybake
    Offline / Send Message
    Right now, you can include multiple low poly objects in one file. I was wondering if people wanted to work with multiple files.  It sounds like what you are looking for is matching a low poly to high poly and having multiple pairs. I'm adding a feature to do name matching which would let you do it all within one file so you wouldn't need to split them out.  Does that help your issue?

• 2bytes
    Offline / Send Message
    2bytes polycounter lvl 2
    Mari uses UDIM naming convention and Mudbox uses UVtile convention.  1001 vs u1_v1 
    Its needed for batch baking a series of assets...all the usual maps are being used.

btw.  How would I go about baking material IDs (or any other map)  to a highpoly mesh?  I have a highpoly with UVs and just want to bake maps to itself.  Because its baking to itself,  the ray distance can be 0.0 but I am getting unexpect results where rays are hitting other polygons.
  • 2bytes
    Offline / Send Message
    2bytes polycounter lvl 2
    About the multiple low poly objects...sounds great,  probably just need to be easily legible for the user.  Substance Painter is doing the same method as well.
  • malcolm
    Offline / Send Message
    To bake maps to itself just turn off the high poly. So for your example just load the high poly as the low poly slot and turn off the tickbox next to high poly and then bake whatever map you want. I've tried this with mat id's and it works great.

Also search distance of 0.0 in MightyBake actually means infinite.