Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

San Marco Basilica (WIP)

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
sugunwar polycounter lvl 8
Hello, guys.
In next couple weeks, I'll work on San Marco's basilica model. My finish goals is: hi poly geometry for baking and low poly geometry with diffuse, spec, normal, lighting maps for Unity\UE4.

My start point here. I got a lot of reference and scetchup model downloaded from open source for build proportion.

I try to update this WIP every day, so I hope it'll be ineteresting 

Replies

• Elrinion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elrinion polycounter lvl 2
    I also happen to be working on the Piazza San Marco for my project. Although I haven't started on the Basilica yet.
    Thing is, it's a hell lot of work doing something like that accurately. Those statues will be hell to model them all.

I've written something about my sketchup workflow in my thread http://polycount.com/discussion/155531/ue4-neovenezia-project-wip

For the accuracy part, Those example sketchup files are really no good. I suggest you georeference the place in sketchup and plan your proportions by using planes with images. Also be mindful of the modularity when modelling. The columns and many of the repeatable elements can be made to fit saving a lot of work.

In terms of reference, the best place I've found is the wikimedia, they have loads of high res images of the piazza. Google street view with panoramio images are also a godsend.

All in all, good luck. I'm looking forward to see what you can come up with.
  • sugunwar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, thx for you help.

Here is first update

I use 3 plan (but they all different) and a lot a photo. I try to catch right proportions.
    About sketchup model, you was right, it is bad idea from start. 
  • sugunwar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello, here is update...
    a lot of proportions tweaking