Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

alien eggs are reasonably natural..

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
JVStudebaker polycounter lvl 2
baked/textured an old project and dropped 'em in ue4. just messing around!

Replies

• Doomathon
    Offline / Send Message
    Doomathon polycounter lvl 4
    Hi jvstudebaker,

Pretty interesting take on alien eggs :). Couple of things I noticed: If you're going to keep the spikes and the strap things they're attached too, make some slight variations with them. They look way too mechanical to be something organic. The material of the strap things (sorry, I don't know what else to call em!) looks like they don't belong on the egg as well. Looks like rubber, or leather? Also, add something around the base of the eggs to make it look like they belong in that environment. As of now the ground and eggs look separated from each other. Adding some like discharge or goopy goop from the eggs on the ground can tie it together and make it more believable :)

Keep at it!
  • JVStudebaker
    Offline / Send Message
    JVStudebaker polycounter lvl 2
    thanks taylor - 

very good points. yea - they are somewhat detached from the enviro - but frankly, i spend very little time with this. i basically took an old project - baked and threw it into ue4. i only recently started using ue4 - from cryengine prior - so i'm looking for reasons to spend as much time as i'm able to explore it.  :)

but yes - valid points nonetheless. i debated what the straps/cage would be. a sorta mix between bone and metal - or something. either way - they def needed some variation. also - something at the base of the eggs would have def sold it better!

thanks man!
  • Doomathon
    Offline / Send Message
    Doomathon polycounter lvl 4
    Totally! You could turn this into something really interesting with some more work. Maybe, if you have time, make a more complete environment and add some dope lighting to really push this.

Good luck!