Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

MusicBox

Enderay
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Enderay polycounter lvl 6
Just bought Substance Painter and I love it! So fast and easy to texture. 

Modelled in Maya, Textured in Substance Painter and rendered in Marmoset 2

Replies

• jhoythottle
    Offline / Send Message
    jhoythottle polycounter lvl 7
    Very cool.  I too just started using Substance Painter.  I love it.  

The wood looks very clean.  Even the most well kept wooden objects gathers dust, gets tiny imperfections, worn corners, and variance in gloss/roughness.  

Nice work overall, though!
  • Enderay
    Offline / Send Message
    Substance Painter is really nice. And Substance Designer as well.

Yes I'm aware of the wood being to perfect. I actually did paint on it but its not noticeable in Marmoset. Never done this setup before so i've must have missed something :P 
  • Enderay
    Offline / Send Message
    Or the person who had it only cleaned the wood area ^^ 
  • peanut™
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 18
    Nice beard, do you trim it ?
  • Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    That's really well done. Love the details. Feels real. The wood grain size has be a little confused about scale though, but that's a minor thing.
  • Yogensya
    Offline / Send Message
    Yogensya polycounter lvl 9
    Nice work! :D

Yes I'm aware of the wood being to perfect. I actually did paint on it but its not noticeable in Marmoset. Never done this setup before so i've must have missed something :P 

Make sure you are using GGX in Toolbag's reflection tab, SPainter exports as GGX and not Blinn-Phong. GXX materials rendered in Blinn-Phong can look a bit too shinny and broken.
  • Enderay
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you :D ill look into that. Im definitely going to use Substance Painter alot :D
  • D_Wall
    Offline / Send Message
    D_Wall polygon
    I've been involved with a lot of architecture visualization work lately, so your perfect wood doesn't come off all that bad to me honestly. I think your DoF is sexy, the copper looks nice, the wood doesn't have to many details to distract from the rest of it, and it's over all simple yet well done. For pure skill application sure you can go ahead and do the dust/imperfections, definitely wouldn't hurt the piece, but I think it looks good right now if you asked me
  • Jet_Pilot
    Offline / Send Message
    Jet_Pilot polycounter lvl 10
    What settings are you using for your scene in MT2?
  • Enderay
    Offline / Send Message
    D_Wall said:
    I've been involved with a lot of architecture visualization work lately, so your perfect wood doesn't come off all that bad to me honestly. I think your DoF is sexy, the copper looks nice, the wood doesn't have to many details to distract from the rest of it, and it's over all simple yet well done. For pure skill application sure you can go ahead and do the dust/imperfections, definitely wouldn't hurt the piece, but I think it looks good right now if you asked me
    Thanx :) I usually take all the feedback and apply it to my next project. Thats how i see if im progressing :) 

Thanx for all the feedback guys :) 
  • Enderay
    Offline / Send Message

Jet_Pilot said:
    What settings are you using for your scene in MT2?
    well there are a lot of setting hehe :D so what imperticular are you wondering about? :)