Home News

Slice - Seamless Texture Generator

A new tool for creating seamless textures.

Slice is a new program that allows you to create seamless textures in real time. The creator, Ognian Ivanov is also allowing you a chance to download this program for free in exchange for filling out a short survey and providing feedback.

Read more about it here: http://dws-slice.com/

Replies

• MadnessImport
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gota have previously used Slice to give proper feedback and supply a link to your work

just a FYII to anyone
  • mdeforge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mdeforge polycounter lvl 14
    Too much of a hassle. Looks cool though. So how much is this program normally? I'm not going to create a damn account just to see how much it is...
  • jakelear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jakelear polycounter lvl 14
    Looks like it's $35.00. Windows only.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    The main download is actually a trial. Seems quite glitchy TBH.
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Well you get the exact same stuff for free with a cleaner interface, better speed, and a Max/Maya plugin when you download Allegorithmic's Substance Designer Trial, just sayin' ;)
  • Mask_Salesman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    Just because it's seamless doesn't mean it's not going to repeat badly. Needs an anti-repeat-pattern modulator lol.
  • OGI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OGI
    I would like to say thank you for all reviews you mailed to me, your opinion really matters. Also want to thank to the Polycount admins for placing Slice in the news section :).

"Looks like it's $35.00. Windows only."

- Yes, that's correct.

"The main download is actually a trial. Seems quite glitchy TBH."

- Of course it is a trial - Slice is not freeware.

"Well you get the exact same stuff for free with a cleaner interface, better speed and a Max/Maya plugin when you download Allegorithmic's Substance Designer Trial, just sayin'"

- No you don't, just try to make a seamless tileable texture for less than 7 seconds, or try to make a seamless diagonal texture for less than 5 seconds with Substance... the answer is short - impossible. :) . With Slice you can do that with no compromises with the texture's quality.

"Just because it's seamless doesn't mean it's not going to repeat badly. Needs an anti-repeat-pattern modulator lol."

- Of course it is going to repeat - it is a pattern after all, thats why John Carmack invented the megatextures. And specially for this case Slice have a retouching tool similar to the Photoshop clone stamp - it is called Clone Region Tool. The so called by you 'anti-repeat-pattern modulator' is actually the well known 'patch seeding algorithm' and all other algorithms like the patch seed in most cases are producing distorted textures with nasty patches spreading randomly all over the pattern - all this can be avoided by using the Clone Region Tool which is totally under your control unlike the automated methods, modulators or other things like that...
  • Orb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orb polycounter lvl 13
    I never understood this kind of tools. Reminds me of the auto tile tool from pixplant. It worked for super repeated textures, like bricks, patterns etc, things that tile almost already. But for production texture, i always ended using photoshop, and it takes like 8 sec also..with stamps and layers..Kind of useful for students i guess?
  • Orangeknight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orangeknight polycounter lvl 5
    Honestly tried the trial, I used the default textures. Couldn't get a seamless texture, I dont know if was doing something wrong. I just dragged the box over a area and it had alot of seams that are so apparent.
  • OGI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OGI
    "Honestly tried the trial, I used the default textures. Couldn't get a seamless texture, I dont know if was doing something wrong. I just dragged the box over a area and it had alot of seams that are so apparent."

Wow... are you sure you are using 'Slice' :) I really thought that Slice UI is intuitive and easy to use, but anyway here is a video that will show you how to use the program:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lj8lsDme0rQ&list=UUMmUbbnSh3UkCmZuL0vSYjA&index=13&feature=plcp
  • Orangeknight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orangeknight polycounter lvl 5
    Thank you, one suggestion make instant texture look more like a button. Right now it looks kinda like words that really cant be pressed/
  • OGI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OGI
    A new update is comming soon, so I'll add some new settings and improvements. Thank you for the suggestion 'Orangeknight'. :) Slice is very young program and now in order to improve it we are collecting information from our user's feedback. By now there are more than 100 users who are using 'Slice' under it's free license and many of them have shared some really cool ideas about the program, so I'll try my best to put some of the suggested features in the next update.
  • OGI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OGI
    Hi there, I just want to inform you that all available 100 free copies have been distributed. I would like to thank You for participating in our campaign and for the provided feedback, your opinion was very valuable and helpful. Thank you guys! :)