Home News

Blender 2.55 and 2.56 released

r13
founder
Offline / Send Message
r13 founder

In a burst of year end productivity, Blender 2.55 was released to the general public with 400+ bug fixes last night. Two hours later, Blender 2.56 was released with at least one new bug fix.

I'm not sure what the issue was that cause the second release, but I'm glad to see them jump on it. It makes me happy when tool makers care about their product. Cheers to them for the quick turn around.

They have been changing around a lot of the underlining API for Blender recently. If you have older Blender projects around, you might test them out in the new versions before dumping your older version.

Also it looks like a 2.56a might be on the way soon due to a bug in the cloth sim stuff. If you aren't using it for that sort of work, you probably are fine.

Replies

• ralusek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ralusek polycounter lvl 10
    why am i shake1
  • Denny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Denny polycounter lvl 14
    Blender 2.55 has been out for a long time, according to Blendernation 2.56 is the version that got 400+ fixes. Just wanted to nitpick that for you. :)

Blender is turning out pretty great, it's rigging tools among things is very easy to get started with. Modelling is still lacking but they're working on a B-mesh branch (which the whole community is waiting for). I'd recommend anyone to at least try the new beta.
  • Godo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Godo polycounter lvl 12
    I've been using Blender on and off recently and the update to 2.5 is really excellent. I found 2.49 and before so unappealing and confusing, but this new version is so much more comprehensible. I've really enjoyed using it so far.
  • AsaNYC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AsaNYC polycounter lvl 12
    I've read that once bmesh is done there might be a useful knife/split poly tool. Can't wait.