Home News

TF2: Polycount Pack, Week 2 check-in

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
adam polycounter lvl 19

There's a lot of great ideas coming out for the TF2: Polycount Pack contest and its only been TWO weeks. With the deadline 22 days away its going to a lot of fun and very inspiring to witness all the new creations as they pop up in the Contest forum.

This time around we'll keep it short & sweet with 3 entries from week 2: Swizzle's 'EOD' Pack, Gerre's 'Hillybilly' Pack and Nzdjh's 'Military/Invasion' Pack. There were tons more of awesome ideas out there so be sure to check out the Contest forum for more.

[caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="629" caption="Swizzle's EOD pack is taking shape"][/caption]

Swizzle's EOD pack for the Demoman has been coming along nicely since its original collage was laid out for us. His thumbnail process for nailing the weapon design worked really well for this entry and I wonder how much community interest in certain designs impacted his final choices.

Straight out of the thumbnail phase he gets in to creating concepts for the materials of the weapons, based off a thumbnail. Swizzle's done a great job of breaking down the colouring/texturing methods of Team Fortress 2 - as seen in his Texturing for Team Fortress 2: A Short Guide

[caption id="attachment_1001" align="aligncenter" width="629" caption="The original concept for his Hillybilly hat."][/caption]

Gerre's Hillybilly pack is looking great! He's only 1 asset in right now but already Gerre shows us that he can create within the TF2 style - which makes me excited for the rest of his assets. Check out his thread to see a breakdown of the hat and the great in-game shot.

[caption id="attachment_1003" align="aligncenter" width="640" caption="Nzdjh's Military/Aviation Pack"][/caption]

Lots of research is going in to Nzdjh's Military/Aviation pack and so far its paying off. On top of his research, he's breaking down for everyone his choices and why he's made them. His post - especially the original post - makes for a good read as a look in to the Pack.

For this thread I love seeing the amount of involvement for research from other artists. And while I think it has to do with the topic of Nzdjh's theme, generally threads with this much discussion in the designs are the most informative. Subscribed!

So there you have it. A brief look at 3 great item pack ideas coming together. Check out the Contest forum for the hundreds of other great ideas. If you're wondering about just what the Team Fortress 2: Polycount Pack is then head on over to the Contest announcement!

Contest deadline is June 28, 2010.

Replies