Home Technical Talk

displacement stretching

lately i developed some interest in 3d environment modelling and after many tests i think the best way to do it is using procedural displacement tileable maps ,although this method gave me a very good result i got stuck.
as you can see in the test render i have stretching issue caused by the high displacement is there any fast fix for the stretching ??

i am using 3ds max and vray and i don't mind adding another software into the workflow if it will fix the issue .

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So what's the intended end result? Is this for rendering in Max only?

If you're rendering it, there are a few different ways to tackle this. You could look into 3d procedural displacement instead (which isn't just a planar displacement), or you could blend another micro displacement into the areas with low (stretchy) resolution.
  • Ramy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So what's the intended end result? Is this for rendering in Max only?

If you're rendering it, there are a few different ways to tackle this. You could look into 3d procedural displacement instead (which isn't just a planar displacement), or you could blend another micro displacement into the areas with low (stretchy) resolution.

thanks for the fast respond Eric .
    well yes this is for rendering in Max but i might try rendering it using unreal engine 4 that is why i didn't use 3d procedural displacement i don't think it is possible to export that to unreal but i am not an expert for sure .
    i think i didn't make the problem clear enough ,well this rocky wall is a flat plane i shifted the polygons with a noise modifier then apllied planar uv mapping then shifted the polygons again with displace modifier at this point i have the shape of the rocky wall without the cracks and the small bumps a vray displacement modifier took care of those using a couple of mixed textures .
    Do you think the micro displacement will do the trick knowing that i have a planar uv mapping??or should i unwrap uvs after i get the basic form ?
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you intend to render this in a game engine, then you need to approach it that way. Make the lowpoly as close as possible in form to the highpoly. Sculpt the highpoly. Bake maps from one to the other. That will solve the stretching, as long as your low is not too low.

If you only want to render in an offline renderer (V-Ray, etc.) then a world of possibilities opens up. You can get in there and mix maps and projections as much as needed.
  • Ramy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay then i guess i will go with the offline renderer because with a huge landscape i don't think remodeling and unwraping uvs is the best option, so what should i do to fix the stretching in an offline renderer ?
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I haven't done a ton of offline high-detail work. You should study how they do it for movies.

For a game version of the same idea, I would approach it like 343 Industries did it for Halo 4. Sculpt the macro forms of the assets, to bake large-detail unique normal maps. Then create a low poly at a scale of maybe a quad every couple feet or so. Then make a custom shader to blend tiling micro-detail maps with the macro normal maps. http://www.polycount.com/2012/11/20/the-environment-art-of-halo-4/
  • Ramy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks i will try to find some info on how they do for movies if i had no luck i'll do it your way .