Home Technical Talk

Zbrush units in Cm or something????

I want to practice anatomy proportions in Zbrush, i watched once from Ryan kingslien, using transpose tools as a measurements.

But i am not sure how Zbrush Units works. How to convert in cm to know the length of some body part or something else?

Replies

• JedTheKrampus
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    Divide one measurement by the other measurement to get the proportion on your sculpt between the two. Then, compare that proportion to the proportion between those two measurements in real-world units that were measured from a reference human. (Or, you can measure your own proportions in a pinch.)
  • Meloncov
    Offline / Send Message
    Meloncov greentooth
    I'm pretty sure the measurement unit in ZBrush, along with many other 3d programs, is totally arbitrary. As long as you're consistent within a project, one unit could be one cm or one lightyear.
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    If you do want to be able to use measurements rather than relative scale, you'll need to import a guide object from something that uses an actual scale (Max or Maya for example). I usually just make a bunch of cubes at sizes that I need and then import them into ZBrush.

It's probably a fundamental alteration to how ZBrush functions, but having a real, measureable scale is my number one most wanted feature in ZBrush. It'd make doing design work for physical objects a much less annoying task.
  • sprunghunt
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    If you want a set unit size in zbrush you can use the 3D print exporter. This allows you to set a set export size for the bounding box of the model.
  • walterlow
    Offline / Send Message
    walterlow polycounter lvl 8
    someone has made a zbrush plugin, not free though. might be useful for what u need

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLH0EhNFNCspoZA2kk7dIEzefwt-S4rCSG
  • Bokchee
    I found this site, https://www.anatomynext.com/hpc.php
    for body proportions. It have meters, cm and feet as a units.
    So, i thought, would be great to know how units in zbrush works as a measuring something.
    Divide one measurement by the other measurement to get the proportion on your sculpt between the two. Then, compare that proportion to the proportion between those two measurements in real-world units that were measured from a reference human. (Or, you can measure your own proportions in a pinch.)
  • Sk0LLiE
    Offline / Send Message
    Sk0LLiE polycounter
    Import a guide object from something like Max. Import a 1.8 meter cube (or whatever scale you need) . Seems to do the trick.

Zbrush does not really seem to work on metric or anything like that, it has its own, not too usefull scaling.
  • Bokchee
    I got that Calipers master, and watched the videos.
    I am not sure what is wrong, or i am too stressing out for this, but seems It doesn't work, what i want.

For example in this https://www.anatomynext.com/hpc.php
    I set up to be Adult male with 175CM

And it gives me some numbers for each part of the body.
    I tried to use Calipers in Zbrush, with CM, I wanted to check the width of shoulders
    that HPC gives me 43.8CM

I set up from one shoulder point to the other, and gives me something like. 0.036CM is this a correct?
  • ][-][4Z4R][))
    Hi Bokchee,
    Calipers Master should fit perfectly for what you want because once you set up your scale you can keep measuring other areas with your scale calibrated.
    I´ll try to guide you through the steps:
    1.  Create a Calipers from Very top of the head to base of the foot (If use Height mode with Y selected you will get a vertical Caliper)
    2. Enter the value of your total height (175 in your case) in the Initial Custom Scale Value 
    3. Press Custom CM
    Now you have your Calipers calibrated with your initial height and all measurements from now on will be relative to that initial custom scale created.
    Also when exporting it will keep the model in "real size" for all 3D printing applications.
    Although all 3D packages has it´s own "scales" predefined. If have issues when importing to other 3D programs try to configure your import settings as well as your scene scales and units.
    Calipers Master V2 will include some export setting to keep consistency between 3rd apps

Hope that helps
  • musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    What a lot of new users to ZB overlook is that it's not a true 3D world space, it's a 2.5D canvas/document environment.

It is best to work in ZB's scale,(Deformation>Unify) otherwise you will need a massive brush size and any subtools added from ZB's tool palette will be tiny.
    Scaling can be done when you finally take the asset to your 3D package.

It's the proportions that are more important, and this can easily be calibrated with ZB's units using the transpose line, in conjunction with either a proportional chart or accurate anatomical ref, as others have mentioned.