Home Technical Talk

Vertices don't weld

Hello everyone,

I know this is a frequently asked question, but since googling for 30 minutes hasn't done me any good (and I'm kind of frustrated): Why do these two vertices not weld? I've tried checking whether the polygons are facing the wrong way, but they're not. It's also one object.

I thought I would've understood the process by now, but it seems I don't. :shifty:

Thanks in advance!

Nicolas

Replies

• PolyHertz
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    The vert on the main trunk seems to have no 'open' areas around it. Weld only works if the resulting geometry can be continuous, so you'll need to delete at least one face/poly/tri around it first.

Maybe you were looking for the snap command instead (which is on the tool bar)?
  • Latiro
    Thanks for the answer! :)

And no, I don't think I wanted to snap - that would just place the vertices on top of each other, wouldn't it? I need the two parts of the trunk to be one object, because otherwise the wind animation on the objects would look weird.

By "open areas" you mean that the vertex basically has to adjoin the void, right? I didn't know that. Are there any better options to join these two objects together?
  • PolyHertz
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    You could boolean the two parts together I suppose, but that would likely get you quite a bit of excess junk geometry...
  • clinington
    Offline / Send Message
    clinington polycounter lvl 10
    Do you need to weld these together? Wouldn't it be better and cheaper to just have intersecting geometry? SpeedTree doesn't weld branches together like this for games and, obviously, the wind works fine with it like that.
  • echofourpapa
    Offline / Send Message
    echofourpapa polycounter lvl 4
    You probably don't want to weld those verts, as clinington said. If the UV seams split or the normals split there it's the same as not having welded verts, so I wouldn't bother.
  • clinington
    Offline / Send Message
    clinington polycounter lvl 10
    Also, the leafs will go some way to hiding where these elements of the mesh join. It all depends on how closely you want it to be viewed :D
  • Eric Chadwick
    If you still want to weld them as originally intended, convert to Editable Mesh, then try. EM is much more forgiving in terms of non-manifold geometry than Editable Poly. Although you then lose some functionality, like no edgeloop selections, some bad handling of custom vertex normals, etc.
  • Latiro
    Hi there,
    Thanks for all the answers! I will try not welding them and see how the animation will turn out. I fear that the branch will "float" through the geometry whenever it is moved, but maybe that is something I can fix by skinning, too. I'm not much of an expert when it comes to that. :)