Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Monthly Community Noob Challenge October 2015 (34)

Replies

• CafeNight
    Offline / Send Message
    CafeNight polycounter lvl 5
    still working on pistol make some details Silncer High Poly
    dbokk36.jpg?1
  • skyline5gtr
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    How did you cut the holes on the silencer ?
  • Jaston3D
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaston3D polycounter lvl 8
    Reworking my cliffs with some sculpted assets. I might have to do the sculpts over, they feel too much like a pile of rocks. Also going to be doing some vertex painting of grass on top of the cliffs to try and make it more believable. Looks like everyone is doing a great job! Hopefully lots of people finish :D
    VD3FQWp.jpg
  • EpicBeardMan
    Offline / Send Message
    EpicBeardMan polycounter lvl 8
    @Jaston3D great progress so far. I like what you did with the materials you've made so far.

Cheers!
  • Tzur_H
    Offline / Send Message
    Tzur_H polycounter lvl 9
    How did you cut the holes on the silencer ?

I don't know how he did it but I would start with a plane with a nice amount of segments, make the holes, and then use a bend deformer with 360 degree, then merge the vertices in the seam, now you should have a cylinder with multiple holes that you can stitch to another cylinder
  • wirrexx
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    @jaston3D: Looking good mate!

My update for the night, re-working lights and added a WIP Monitor in. Not happy at all. NEed to learn more about lighting =)

45Hhtel.jpg
  • Jaston3D
    Offline / Send Message
    I really want to redo the cliffs but I've kinda came to a hold up. I want them to be fairly flat faces like in the concept. But I cant really figure out a good workflow to make them? Obviously its going to have to be fairly modular and repeat assets a few times to achieve the actual scale of the cliffs. Idealy this is basically what I'm going for, obviously not in pillar formations though. Simon Barle is too good :D Anyone know a good way to do this or threads I could reference where someone made something similar?
    KeHVlGh.jpg
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    WIP. First gun I ever made seriously :)
    It gives me some trouble. And the grip + body is harder to make than I thought.
    12138339_10153579951835115_6166515746022653005_o.jpg
  • Robert_H
    @Jaston3D I'm not 100% sure but the Rawks forum on polycount might contain what you are looking for. I had trouble making rocks and things and I check that out, it has an aweful lot of pages with all types of rocks, stones, cliffs etc. So might be helpful to you? Here is a link:

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125857&highlight=rawk

I hope it is of help! But what you have so far looks great! Everyones work so far looks like it is coming along really nicely!
  • Jaston3D
    Offline / Send Message
    @Robert_H Thanks! I'm going to reference that thread a lot today! I think what I'm going to end up doing is sculpt a few modular very squarish and flat faced rock assets then go with a world space texture to sell it even more! Really flat cliffs of huge scale to a level are hard but it'll be a good challenge!
  • ross185
    Offline / Send Message
    ross185 polycounter lvl 6
    @skyline5gtr and Tzur_H I guess that is one way you can do it but it would take quite a while. I believe he would have just created a cylinder, and then create another cylinder and place it where they want the hole to be, duplicate special the smaller cylinder around the main cylinder and lastly use a boolean to cut them out of the main cylinder.

Thus creating lots of small holes evenly around the object. Topology doesn't have to be all neat and tidy if it is going to be baked into a low poly version, however pinching and other annoying issues may arise.

Hopefully they will get back to you and give a definitive answer, however that is how I would go about it :)
  • skodone
    Offline / Send Message
    skodone polycounter lvl 2
    35baurm.jpg

started modeling wohoo
    realized how i am not really good and very inexperienced in
    box modeling wohoo

but its coming along :) no uvs yet so theres weird lighting
  • CMPearce
    Offline / Send Message
    CMPearce polycounter lvl 7
    So this is my first post to polycount, I decided on the interior scene as I normally go for exterior and thought it would be a good challenge to get me back into it as it's been a while. A few potential scale issues, but overall I'm please with the way it's going. Any feedback is always welcome.
  • JedTheKrampus
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    CMPearce: generally people prefer it if you upload your image at an image hosting site like Imgur and put it in your post with the Insert Image button. Also, that sofa could use some love. It's too bent in the middle. If you look at the reference that part is a little bent, but the bend goes for the length of the sofa and is a lot more plausible. Make sure to use enough geometry to get the curvature looking right. Overall it's a great start!
  • skodone
    Offline / Send Message
    nice models CMPearce i like the details!
    could you post an image that fits the concept a bit better perspectivewise?
    for me it would be easier to check on the proportions and comp if
    theres something one can compare to
  • CMPearce
    Offline / Send Message
    CMPearce polycounter lvl 7
    Thank you JedTheKrampus and skodone, I will rework the sofa and post with an inserted image once I've done a little more. Thanks for the advise.
  • radioactivebritt
    Offline / Send Message
    radioactivebritt polycounter lvl 2
    So I was able to jump in this weekend! We'll see how far I get woot.
    Liking the challenge of the details on the building. I have had a habit of focusing too much on one area and not enough on the other, so this is good practice.

My roof is slightly different, but I was using photo reference and liked the look of the planks without the angles.

Here are some workflow/progress shots:

StHh6bQm.png

xwK11sym.png

PHr0xqQm.png

gfaF0vRh.png
  • radioactivebritt
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern wrote: »
    WIP. First gun I ever made seriously :)
    It gives me some trouble. And the grip + body is harder to make than I thought.

Looks good so far! What program are you using to model?
  • Jaston3D
    Offline / Send Message
    @radioactivebritt Looking forward to see what you end up with! Looks like you have a solid start!

This is a pretty disappointing update from me :p Didn't get much done, and I didn't even tackle the cliffs yet. still have those ugly placeholder ones. I think my final cliffs will really make or break this environment :D
    Jbew69q.jpg
  • aaronmwolford
    Offline / Send Message
    aaronmwolford polycounter lvl 8
    Ok guys I'm in. I'll make a progress shot as soon as the high poly is blocked in. Going to model the firearm since I'm starting halfway into the month. :poly122:
  • JaySmitt
    Offline / Send Message
    JaySmitt polycounter lvl 13
    KTKU2uF.jpg

More HP's to come!
  • Jaston3D
    Offline / Send Message
    cliffs done! still need to add some foliage to them but that will come when I do any other foliage as well! I need to add a little bit more fog because they feel wayyyy to close at the moment.
    F9wOKXl.jpg
  • radioactivebritt
    Offline / Send Message
    @jaston3D, looking good! Your materials are looking good, too (mine will need critique!) i like the change to the rocks, but the ones on the left look a little boxy. Rough 'em up a bit? :)
  • radioactivebritt
    Offline / Send Message
    progress :x

MCRl2fk.png

Fixed the proportion of the tower base and the length of the bridge between the towers. plus metal work and wood detail woot.
  • Davydov
    Offline / Send Message
    Davydov polycounter lvl 3
    9Nqm3YdJ9SLCSwPpqC9lpTWmUhFinhok guys, I'm in :)
    download?id=9Nqm3YdJ9SLCSwPpqC9lpTWmUhFinh
    9Nqm3YdJ9SLCSwPpqC9lpTWmUhFinhwPpqC9lpTWmUhFinh
  • Count_Crushmore
    Offline / Send Message
    Count_Crushmore polycounter lvl 2
    Hi everybody!

Maybe I am a little late to the party but I will still give my best and see how far I can get. I´ve started playing around 3D´s Max just a few months ago so my result won´t be anywhere near perfect, but I am here to learn.

Usually I am on the reciving side of game art, but I was always facinated what could be done in a 3D Suite and I wanted to give it a try, so I´ve subscribed to Digital Tutors and try to squeeze as much 3Ds Max practise time into my shedule as possible. I´ve done a few tutorials and have learned a thing or two along the way, but it is clear to me that those have been but the first steps on my journey (that will include Photoshop and Painting along the way - as far as I understood that is essential).

Maybe it is a bit too early to try those raw skills in a challenge, but since this is named Noob Challenge I think I might fit this description.

I´ve chosen the outdoor environment, very nice artwork. I will be working with 3Ds Max 2012 because that is what I´ve got. Maybe I´ll play around a bit with Mudbox 2012 to get some details in but propably just Max for the Moment. I will be doing the Textures in Photoshop with Filterforge.

I´ve chosen a different approach (maybe that shows my Inexperience) and built some smaller Assets first - a Naganita, the Palisade Wall and the Tent.

First the Naganita:
    Qq5Xanx.jpg

Maybe a bit too lowpoly, but as it is just a decoration for the weaponracks in front of the tents, not a weapon for a first Person Character I thought it might be enough.

The Palisade Wall:
    viciXUk.jpg

I think they are a bit too even, too straight. Also I´ve noticed that rendering is another thing I have to add to my learning list - the Wall looks terrible when rendered.

The Tent:

ZDsLBaJ.jpg

I´ve spent so much time with it and made many mistakes but at least it is kind of finished. I tried to get some height variatons in the roof by moving some vertices - I think I shouldn´t have done that.

The Texture was a big problem for me, I wasn´t able to have the transparent parts of the awning in the same Texture as the walls and roof so I made two - one alpha, one without alpha.

The other Problem with the texture occured because I didn´t use a checker pattern to see if the areas are evenly spaced in the map (they are not). Last but not least the ornament on the roof - I have to admit that my Photoshop Skills are nearly zero, I wasn´t able to get even that simple shape right so I´ve taken the chinese sign for "Tiger" and used it as a mask with the same silk material as the awning.

When I do the Tower I will think of the checker Texture to avoid doing this mistake again. Does anybody know a good unwrapping Tutorial (There are so many out there, hard to see which ones are the good ones)? I have picked up some basics in the tutorials I´ve done so far but I am only able to tell Max where to place which color and my maps look very messy. Thank you in Advance!

Nothing great, I am not completly satisfied but I think I´ll leave them for the Moment where they are and tackle the Tower since there isn´t that much time left. I´ll take the lessons learned and apply them next time.

Nice to see how you are aproaching it - and a bit intimidating. I wont be able to reach that level in this challenge, but it is my intention to finish the scene, even if it looks rough and unpolished. I´ll try to learn as much as possible to do it better next time.

Have fun you all!
  • skodone
    Offline / Send Message
    @count_crushmore

i would may focus on blocking all the stuff in before you go so much into detail
    that will totally bring your focus on the wrong stuff.
    I would really first try to get all the main shapes ready and focus on all the stuff
    just step by step you know

- blocking stuff out
    - modeling stuff more detailed (basemeshes)
    - fine modelling in as you suggested maybe mudbox
    - uving and baking (uving maybe at modeling stage)
    - texturing and shader setup
    - lighting and rendering in game engine

if youre so new i would try to learn and master things piece by piece instead of going for th elong shot all at once this should leave you with better results and better learning effect. Even if you just block out all the models in this month and will not be able to come to the texturing stage it will be a much better learn for you than if you just do everything half.
    a nice good blockout with focus on perspective and model proportions composition and so on lighted and rendered just in b&w without textures is also far better for your portfolio than a half hearted unfinished work that has some quickly done textures.
    So maybe try to give one task a shot instead of a lot half a shot :)
  • Jaston3D
    Offline / Send Message
    @count_crushmore

I absolutely appreciate your ability to be pretty fearless with being fairly new to all of this!

A few things!
    Since your pretty new we won't worry about the complex stuff :p
    -Try to really focus on silhouette or the overall shapes your creating when you model. For the tent you have to keep in mind that the tent is made out of flimsy cloth. The edge loop that is going through the Chinese characters around the tent should be showing the effect of gravity on the flimsy cloth. So instead of making it go upwards, it should be sinking down a little bit.
    -Also it looks like you have some complex modeling going on the inside of the tent instead of it just being an open room. In my opinion it's not necessary especially for the scale of this challenge.
    -Don't give up! you'll make the most progress on the projects you fight against and make solutions to all of your problems!
  • Jaston3D
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's my update for the day! I got some vertex painting going on my cliffs. Messing around a little bit with some foliage and starting to plan that. Also going to finish out all of the modeling tonight and tomorrow so I can finally get that middle part of the gate in the scene.
    1okfmqK.jpg
  • Dvids
    Offline / Send Message
    Dvids polycounter lvl 4
    Awesome progress you guys, I like how the environments are coming together!

@Jaston3D

How did you create the cliffs? They are pretty nice. One big sculpted piece?
  • Count_Crushmore
    Offline / Send Message
    skodone wrote: »
    @count_crushmore

i would may focus on blocking all the stuff in before you go so much into detail
    that will totally bring your focus on the wrong stuff.
    I would really first try to get all the main shapes ready and focus on all the stuff
    just step by step you know

- blocking stuff out
    - modeling stuff more detailed (basemeshes)
    - fine modelling in as you suggested maybe mudbox
    - uving and baking (uving maybe at modeling stage)
    - texturing and shader setup
    - lighting and rendering in game engine

Thank you for the Suggestion! I think I misunderstood the first Post, I thought it would be best to do one small Piece at a Time before going over to the next. But for now I will go with the workflow you´ve suggested.

But I think I will leave out Mudbox for now, there is still a whole lot for me to learn in Max, Baking might be another Topic I´ll tackle another time when I am a step further in Max - as you said, first the Basics.
    Even if you just block out all the models in this month and will not be able to come to the texturing stage it will be a much better learn for you than if you just do everything half.

I still hope that I will get far enough to get some solid geometry together and some passable textures on them, but I am still very slow in Max and it might be a close call - but I will do my very best to come as far as I could.
    a nice good blockout with focus on perspective and model proportions composition and so on lighted and rendered just in b&w without textures is also far better for your portfolio

I think I am very far away from thinking about a portfolio (sure, it will be nice to have some nice results to show, but right now I am just learning) but since I think of 3D just as a Hobby there is no pressure to get so far (just Motivation and Interest :)).
    than a half hearted unfinished work that has some quickly done textures.

Believe me - you wouldn´t want to see my quickly done textures. Those that you see on the Tent and the Palisades have taken me a very long time to get them even that far. Before I get to the texuring stage it is absolutly necessary that I do at least one additional Tutorial focused on that Topic.
    So maybe try to give one task a shot instead of a lot half a shot :)

I did - considering your suggestion I blocked out some of the Parts:

The Fire Pillar:
    6eR8zI1.jpg

The Metal Part of the Gate:
    7MiKdSO.jpg

The Siege Shield:
    bgv1jTo.jpg

And last but not least the Tower:
    IG3FJfA.jpg

Here is a little group shot of what I have so far:
    X2dkO90.jpg

I´ve tried to arrange them inside Max to resemble the Concept Image, but I failed, so I think I will arange them inside of Unity once they are a bit more developed since I am a lot more familiar with Unity then Max.

//EDIT
    Well, I found some additional Time to try to get the rough shape of the Bridge together and I tried to arrange the pieces to something similar as the artwork - not realy close but it shows me that I´ll have to work on the sizes, the towers are too small right now in relation to the bridge.

11qMq12.jpg
    //END EDIT

Jaston3D wrote: »
    I absolutely appreciate your ability to be pretty fearless with being fairly new to all of this!

Thank you for your Kind words! But I think you are giving me too much credit, I am here to learn and develop and as I´ve read in another Post in this Forum - if you keep your work for yourself and don´t show them to anybody, you won´t get any feedback and your progress will be very slow. And since the users of this Community are very friendly I think there is not much to fear :).
    Since your pretty new we won't worry about the complex stuff :p
    -Try to really focus on silhouette or the overall shapes your creating when you model.

I am now, thank you for the Suggestion!
    For the tent you have to keep in mind that the tent is made out of flimsy cloth. The edge loop that is going through the Chinese characters around the tent should be showing the effect of gravity on the flimsy cloth. So instead of making it go upwards, it should be sinking down a little bit.

You are absolutly right, I was so focused on changing the geometry of the roof to look more natural, that I didn´t think how it would fall in reality, I will try to keep that in mind for the future.
    -Also it looks like you have some complex modeling going on the inside of the tent instead of it just being an open room. In my opinion it's not necessary especially for the scale of this challenge.

Maybe I misunderstand you here - I didn´t work on the Inside of the Tent, I added three Edges on the Front, inset the resulting Polygon and extruded it inwards, but maybe thats already to much, a darker color on the texture might have been enough, since the entrance that I created is very hard edged.
    -Don't give up! you'll make the most progress on the projects you fight against and make solutions to all of your problems!

I won´t give up - at least not now. I feel very challenged, not frustrated and I think I will learn a lot along the way.

Thank you very much for your time and your advice you two!

@Jaston3D:
    It looks great! I agree with Dvids, the cliffs turned out really nice, as is the rest of the Scene - great work, it looks really awesome!

One thing that I notice: You seem to have inset/beveled one of the diagonal wooden planks on the frontside of the towers but not the other one.
  • skodone
    Offline / Send Message
    looking good there!
    how do you check on the perspective if i may ask?
    did you try out the perspective match tool?
    (there was some video tutorial even some posts before)
  • Jaston3D
    Offline / Send Message
    Dvids wrote: »
    Awesome progress you guys, I like how the environments are coming together!

@Jaston3D

How did you create the cliffs? They are pretty nice. One big sculpted piece?

I actually sculpted a set of a few different cliff faces. I have 4 total that I mashed together to make all of the cliffs. Whats really selling the seamless aspect of them however is the use of a worldspace texture and the moss vertex painting to give each one a uniqueness.
  • Dvids
    Offline / Send Message
    Dvids polycounter lvl 4
    I actually sculpted a set of a few different cliff faces. I have 4 total that I mashed together to make all of the cliffs. Whats really selling the seamless aspect of them however is the use of a worldspace texture and the moss vertex painting to give each one a uniqueness.

Would you, by any chance, be able to do a quick breakdown of that? I would be really interested, as I'm about to tackle a similar thing in my environment.
    So I'm guessing the worldspace texture is a fairly generic, but still natural looking tillable cliff texture/normals that go over the sculpted normals?
  • Bearplane
    Offline / Send Message
    Bearplane polycounter lvl 7
    Hey Guys. Great looking stuff. Heres my progress so far.
    177llf.png
    im curious how everyone is tackling the tower roof without getting too high poly? and Jaston id also be super interesting in a breakdown of your rock faces.
  • skodone
    Offline / Send Message
    im really looking forward to get those awesome pieces done :)
    nice progress everybody

heres what i did in the last few hours...
    modelled the big pc and stand for the copier

dh6b79.jpg
  • radioactivebritt
    Offline / Send Message
    Bearplane wrote: »
    im curious how everyone is tackling the tower roof without getting too high poly? and Jaston id also be super interesting in a breakdown of your rock faces.

^^Yes to all of that.

Also, great progress, Bearplane! The only thing catching my eye right now is the pillars..Hard to tell if it's just the angle, but the proportion looks slightly off, like they should be taller or slimmer? Maybe not.

And yes, RAWKS HALP PLEAZZZ. Organic erm, anything, is a tough lover to court bahah
  • Carabiner
    Offline / Send Message
    Carabiner greentooth
    First pass at the thing on the front right of the desk:

viCcSmN.jpg

To work on:
    - Emissive maps aren't "glowy" enough
    - I think in general the model is too light-colored

I'd love any input you have!
  • skodone
    Offline / Send Message
    dont know if its the screenie, but the texture looks a bit muddy :(
    also i think you can boost the gloss on the screen a bit more to make it look
    more like a slightly glossy screenfoil
  • Count_Crushmore
    Offline / Send Message
    how do you check on the perspective if i may ask?

I just eyballed it to be honest.
    did you try out the perspective match tool?
    (there was some video tutorial even some posts before)

I´ve seen that link but I haven´t watched the Video right now. I guess it is a little to advanced for me, but I´ve bookmarked it to view it another time, it seems very usefull.

For now I try to get the major shapes as close as possible to the Artwork, place them according to the Artwork and maybe find the time to do some Textures but time is running out.

But I still try to come as far as I am able to, so I am still blocking out some of the shapes that I am able to identify, this time the Watchpost behind the right hand Tower.

First I tried to work with only Extrude/Bevel/Inset coming from a basic Box Shape but it didn´t work out as I expected:

V6o2i5d.jpg

So I´ve tried again, this Time dividing the same Box with Swift Loop and the results are much better:

TvLvC1u.jpg

There is still the rest of this Watchpost, the Platform on the Left, the smaller Tower behind that Platform and the Big Tent on the Hills to block out, before I am going to refine the results.

Thanks again for the suggestion to block out first, I see now that it will save some time and speeds up the workflow.
  • Carabiner
    Offline / Send Message
    Carabiner greentooth
    Update:

vyxYBYR.jpg

Just testing out the lighting with the stuff I've made so far. Also made some tweaks to textures based on feedback I got. I'm still not super happy with the textures, though, I feel like something's missing? Maybe it'll all come together as I continue.
  • skodone
    Offline / Send Message
    looking sweet though!
    very painterly, i think i wanna go for the realistic look since i want to practice pbr
  • wirrexx
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    Back home from Sweden, Finished My HP of The Monitor (will be repeated all over the place, sometimes with the "leg" and some without, to get a variation of height).

66asl7z.jpg

I'll finish of the table and hopefully the fans today too =)
  • Optey
    PrVIzlc.jpg
    e0pBJNv.jpg
    06SfflD.jpg
    pSB4WqV.jpg
    92vFRgm.jpg

ps: the gun image in the first post seems not working anymore though :)
    Cheers,
    Opt
  • LaurentiuN
    Offline / Send Message
    LaurentiuN interpolator
    True, I cant see the concept for the gun!!
  • Stambot
    Offline / Send Message
    Stambot polycounter lvl 3
    Hey guys,

This'll be my first MNC. Unfortunately, i caught August's late, the suspense was killing me for this challenge.

I haven't gotten as far along as I'd liked; outside of work, I've had to deal with a sinus infection, food poisoning, and a cold. Needless to say there have been some obstacles. Regardless, here's my progress:

V5uHxTr.jpg

I've gotten in all of my proxy models, no BSPs left. Next up, i'll be unwrapping for light maps and basic textures before moving on to hi polys for normal baking.

I have some basic lighting to imitate the concept. If anyone has any good resources for lighting a UE4 scene that they found super useful, I'd love to see it. I seem to overpopulate my areas with lights so that they overlap too much.

Carabiner: That looks like an awesome start. I can see what you mean about the textures, have you tried making adjustments to the different materials? glossing up the glass and plastic? I think some good material seperation on your objects would help.

Wirrexx: That monitor is 2Legit; you nailed the subtle curves on everything. Did you float that little round vent holes on the side or are those built into the geom?

Optey: I couldn't see the concept for reference, but your gun itself is awesome. Are you working in Zbrush? I'm curious b/c some of those insets in the surface of the gun look like they would be tricky to figure out w/ edgeloops in Max or Maya.
  • Jaston3D
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a little update from me!
    -Started the top gate part
    -Reworked my landscape material it now has tessellation! whoo! the terrain looks much more dynamic now. Especially the dirt/sand
    There's so much to do there's no way i'll get everything I want done. I'll get it to a decent state for the last day but i'll continue posting or start a solo thread where i'll really polish and be really picky with things!
    also it's far to saturated at the moment. That will be an easy fix in post!
    epz4RIl.jpg
  • skodone
    Offline / Send Message
    @stambot
    you got 10 times as far as i did outside of work... but i realize everyday how bad i am
    still on maodelling outside of zBrush :s
    still i learn a ton with every prop model every day which is a good thing!

the only things that pop to my eye are, that the door handle is quite different than from the concept and the couch seems low - windows quite big other stuff seems smooth!

@jaston
    now youre clearly the fastest of us oO love the ffeling so far!
  • Suule
    Offline / Send Message
    Suule polycounter lvl 6
    Here's a little update from me!
    -Started the top gate part
    -Reworked my landscape material it now has tessellation! whoo! the terrain looks much more dynamic now. Especially the dirt/sand
    There's so much to do there's no way i'll get everything I want done. I'll get it to a decent state for the last day but i'll continue posting or start a solo thread where i'll really polish and be really picky with things!
    also it's far to saturated at the moment. That will be an easy fix in post!
    epz4RIl.jpg

Well done. I would like to know if you are using modular texture sheets for wooden parts of gate, or did you sculpt every part of this gate to make it more unique?
  • Dvids
    Offline / Send Message
    Dvids polycounter lvl 4
    It looks like a tillable texture and no sculpting on the gate, but I could be wrong. My guess is, Jason created his high polys outside of zbrush and used that baked normal data as a base for another tillable wood texture that get's blended on top.

Really nice progress :)