Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP portfolio critique

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Rynosauras polycounter lvl 7
Hey guys!
recently started putting together my portfolio and looking for some critique, what more should I add? Is there enough on there? Is there to much? Should I break down each asset and environment more? etc.

http://artbyry.com

Thanks! appreciate it

(site is a bit torn up for the moment, plan to go back to it mid december,thanks for the feedback everyone!)

Replies

• BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    "modelled and textured within 3 hours."
    This is not a good thing on your portfolio, man, especially when it doesn't look like you took longer than this.

I'm going to be a bit brief but
    • Cut the zoom from the thumbnails. It's distracting and kind of annoying.
    • Remove the "young, aspiring" from your title. It comes off more as an excuse that your work looks student-y. It's fine to just say "Environment artist". You are one already.
    • Speedsculpts don't really have a place here yet. Finish it and present it in a game engine, polish it more and show it as a sculpt, or remove it.
    • Rock doesn't look natural or good. Remove it (It's boring out of context, anyway). The Door, the Cart and the Guard tower could probably stand to be grouped together under a title like "medieval props" or something, but they desperately need better presentation. Are they in an engine? As far as I can tell, shadows aren't even being cast (and inorganic sculpts shouldn't usually be presented with a waxy matcap). Redo the presentation or remove them.
    • The fire hydrant is one of the only props that comes off as up to scratch and at least lit well (though I'm still not a fan of this template), why is it so far down the list? Move it up more.
    • Stompy has no context, I don't know what it's for and I don't know what you made here.
    • Highlight specifically what you worked on in the pirate cabin scene. You might have done the best bits or the worst bits, I don't know so I skimmed over it. Show more shots. I question your choice of the Pirates theme; it's better to go with free to use music that.... actually fits the scene. This feels quiet and eerie, not swashbuckle-y so the music is odd. Consider fiddling with the FOV on the camera a bit. It warps on the edges and I personally get motion sickness from that.
    • Include your email at the top of the page somewhere if you can. Its not exactly difficult to find, but it does kind of look like you expect me to contact you by form at first. Center the bio text on that contact page, too.
    All in all.... quality control. You don't need everything on your portfolio. A thing your threw up in 2 hours really shouldn't have a place here. Specify what you worked on in group projects. Don't be afraid to lump similar assets together under the same header, it actually looks more impressive than padding out your portfolio with single props on their own IMO. Your presentation should all be more like the fire hydrant, frankly. A clean beauty shot, the wireframe, the textures, some closeups... But stop specifying time. There's no need for it.

This is a good start. Spend more time on finishing some prop sets or a diorama/small environment of your own, though. You need some work that sets you apart from other graduates and this is pretty stock standard. Not bad at all, but... in this industry you kind of need to be above that average a little (especially in Australia right now). Keep up the good work, sorry if this is a bit straight to the point. :thumbup:
  • Meloncov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meloncov greentooth
    The image sizes are small, and it's not possible to open them at a large size in a separate window.

The zoom when you mouseover images is kinda annoying, and might slow down loading of the site.

Include more breakdowns of the scenes; the overall impression is pretty good, but I can't see the quality of individual assets.

On the pirate ship cabin, make it more clear what work you yourself did (maybe an image with an overlay showing which assets are yours).

The bat creature strong, but it also feels a bit out of place in what's otherwise an environment portfolio. I wouldn't get rid of it right away, as it's probably the best hand-painted work you have, but I'd move it towards the bottom and look to replace it eventually (or add more character stuff if you're aiming for a generalist position at a small studio).

Don't have an WIP stuff in your portfolio; that's what the blog section is for.

The quality of the standalone assets seems to be stronger than the assets in any of the scenes. I wouldn't get rid of the scenes, as showing full scenes is important, but your goal going forward should be to create a couple scenes where the quality is consistently on the level of, say, your fire hydrant.
  • DooDee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Never was able to get through to the portfolio in the first place, after loading for 4 minutes, I just gave up. I'd look into that.
  • Rynosauras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @BagelHero Thank's for the harsh crit man, it's exactly what I'm looking for! Going to start making these changes ASAP when I've got the time. I also see you went to AIE in canberra, that's awesome always good to see others from AIE on here :)

@Meloncov I've changed it now to not mention the school part as I actually did both environments on my own, so there isn't really a need to mention which parts I did as I did it all haha, thanks for the critique, appreciate it!

@DooDee Would have to be a problem from your end as it has worked perfectly from many devices and places so far.

Sorry for the late reply! Have been a bit busy but really appreciate the critiques guys :D
  • Stavaas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stavaas polycounter lvl 3
    Rynosauras wrote: »
    @DooDee Would have to be a problem from your end as it has worked perfectly from many devices and places so far.

Doesn't work here either. Stuck in loading.
  • Rynosauras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stavaas wrote: »
    Doesn't work here either. Stuck in loading.

Hmm, that's really odd, I've seen it work for a lot of people so far, thanks for letting me know I'll look into it.
  • jhoythottle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jhoythottle polycounter lvl 7
    Assets look pretty cool. The bat looks a little muddy. Either refine the details a bit more, or remove it. I'd also remove the long winded stories behind each piece. Keep it simple, no need for backstory unless it involved fighting an undead shark.

I don't understand the hate for the rock. I think it looks pretty nice. Maybe just give it some more sharpness and polish around the edges, or make a series of them so it fits in a little bit more. Also, there's a weird cut in your pirate cabin video around the 0:13 mark. Check your editing program for a clip overlap. While you're at it, I suggest you change the song. I'm surprised Disney hasn't flagged the audio from that video yet. Just from a quick search on Pond5 (great site), I found this for only 17 bucks. Worth the price in my opinion and royalty free.
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    @Ryan: Hey, no problem. It was cool to see you're an AIE guy too! Hope I can see you posting here more often.

On royalty free music, thanks for the link jhoyt! Looks like a great resource. In the interest of sharing, I usually nab mine from here: https://freemusicarchive.org/
    To anyone who might peruse FMA, make sure you double check the copyright for each song individually because a few aren't actually free to use, it's also more free tracks that you can repurpose than specifically good BGM (and that's why you pay for the convenience of Pond5-type resources!). It's just a really interesting and fairly large catalog of tracks, though, haha.
  • Beard3D Bandit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Beard3D Bandit polycounter lvl 7
    Already looking better Rynosauras!
  • Rynosauras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Jhoythottle Thanks man, yeah I plan to make something to replace that one soon. A lot of things in there are actually more place holders for what I'm working on atm, example being my most recent thing I made was the fire hydrant hence why its quality is fairly above the rest which were one earlier in the year :) already starting to cut down the long winded descriptions as I realised the other day they were pretty unnecessary and lead people to believe false assumptions about things like with it being a school project that there would of been others who worked on it. The rock page will be basically just a gallery of rocks I've made, or atleast that's the plan anyway :) Thanks for pointing out that part in the video as well! will get to fixing that when I'm free next.

@BagelHero yeah definitely starting to try have a bigger online presence than what I've had previously, polycount/artstation/twitter are generally the places to do it so here I am asking for crits basically :D

@Beard3D Bandit Thanks man! appreciate that you've noticed the changes already :)
  • Beard3D Bandit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Beard3D Bandit polycounter lvl 7
    Hay Ryn! I watched this last night and thought you'd find this helpful regarding your portfolio.

http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1022096/Killer-Portfolio-or-Portfolio-Killer

Lemme know what you think! :D
  • Sugus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus polycounter lvl 7
    I wasn't able to view the Sci Fi piece for some reason. As for the cabin ship. It's a really good piece but it would be great if you could showcase individual models, textures etc to give a more detailed breakdown of some of the strong assets you have in your scene.

This might be personal preference but when I open a portfolio I like to get a quick overview of what I'm going to see. When I load yours I see a very big image thumbnail from your first piece and part of the second environment. Maybe play around and see how re-sizing the thumbnails so that both images fit in the splash page works. Again this is personal but you might want to consider it :)

Hopefully this helps!
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Hm there is currently only the pirate and sci-fi interior , while the second one is unclickable
    Kind of hard to get an impression of the assets if there are no close ups or bigger screens, looks pretty decent however from first impression.

The website looks good, almost too good, so I dont trust you on making that design yourself. some small issues tho, like why is the name on the right, and the contact page is crammed and the contact box should be below or on the right. Also dont point and inset the skills / program profiencies, the - point or none at all is enough as theres tons of separations between categories.

Also I had to laugh when you wrote "Work experience: Woolworths"
    Not because I think working there is funny, but because you decided to make that a point people should know.
    If you have no relevant previous workplace, just don't talk about it. Don't wake sleeping dogs. Nobody cares if that line is missing on the page, nobody will notice or care.
    Focus on strenghts.
  • Rynosauras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh sorry guys, I took a lot of it apart recently and plan to finish it up after i graduate, really want to put more effort into it and make some nice polished pieces.

Thanks for the feedback though! really appreciate it all :smile: