Home Technical Talk

3ds Max Inverse Kinematics and Xform

triangle
Offline / Send Message
8bitboy triangle
Hi, I am trying to rig hands for my game but I can not find any up to date tutorials on inverse kinematics. I dream of a rig similar to IMBrokeRU's CSS re-Rig, though every time I encounter problems with the Xform of the bones. I try to solve this issue by resetting the Xform though when I attempt to do this, every bone turns into a editable poly. If anybody has any tips, I would highly appreciate them. :)

Replies

• monster
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    You'll need to recreate your skeleton without using the scale tool. Instead of using scale use Bone Edit Mode in the Animation > Bone Tools dialog.

Don't ever scale bones. Don't ever reset xforms bones, if they aren't scaled you won't need to anyway.
  • 8bitboy
    Offline / Send Message
    8bitboy triangle
    Thanks for the thoughtful tip, but I am already doing that technique already. The problem is when I link the bones together I assume, this rotates the whole rig in a random direction usually to the right when I reset the Xform (including the bones that are linked to parents).
  • Zhalktis
    Offline / Send Message
    Zhalktis polycounter lvl 9
    I have no idea where and why the hell you are using reset xfrom on any part of the rig (it's for resetting geometry transforms, not bone's), but I'll ignore that. It sounds like you're experiencing the common problem with IK solvers instead:

If you have an IK chain, and you link the root bone to anything, it'll not recalculate the preferred angles and your bone will change to a different angle (because the parent's transform is often different, and it'll use old preferred angles in relation to the new parent). Which is sometimes not undoable... To solve this, always disable the IK solver when relinking any part of the bone chain that it affects; after you're done relinking your bones, you can enable it again and it should be fine.
  • 8bitboy