Home Technical Talk

Organizing uvs and Texture resolution

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
yaschan polycounter lvl 7
How would you go about organizing uvs for this kind of model?
What comes to my mind is to split the model into several parts and give each part their own UVs. Anyway I will bake these parts separately so this would make it kinda easier.

Also, this is not huge object but can be seen from any angles and quite close to the camera.
So I was thinking maybe I could get away with three 2048x2048 textures or so.
Biggest element would be maybe the wheel thingy, and as thats going to be red (or whatever red paint is left from the heavy corrosion) its kinda the key feature I suppose.

Another alternative would be to jam everything to one UV set and simplify the managing textures process that way.

I plan to use Substance Designer for everything in this model.

What do you think?

Replies

• Deadly Nightshade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deadly Nightshade polycounter lvl 10
    Cut it like this and tile the shells.
    http://oi60.tinypic.com/2ahb0js.jpg

And if this is game art, you want as few texture maps as possible - it's bad practise to split up an asset into multiple minor maps unless you have a really good reason to. In the VFX industry this isn't a problem though as all graphics are pre-rendered, but for realtime graphics you need to cut down on the maps count for performance reasons.
  • Scruples
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scruples polycounter lvl 10
    I feel like you need way more geometry, rivets, supports and other mechanical do-dads.
    (or maybe this highpoly is incomplete, in which case disregard)

I would do this so the fence and pipe could be made modular, but I would also add flanges to the pipes so seams can be disguised.
    PpP79nc.png
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    3 * 2048x2048 is a little far fetched for only this asset. Maybe 1 * 2048 is enough.
  • FourtyNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter
    peanut™ wrote: »
    3 * 2048x2048 is a little far fetched for only this asset. Maybe 1 * 2048 is enough.

Albedo, normal, roughness, (specular) and metalness. That's 4-5 textures already. Unless it's a handpainted diffuse only, which I doubt.
  • repete
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    For that I would use a 4k texture, easily done in Quixel btw using material ID's. Not sure about substance but a colour map with material IDs must be possible.

maxresdefault.jpg

You can always lower the map size later :poly121:
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Albedo, normal, roughness, (specular) and metalness. That's 4-5 textures already. Unless it's a handpainted diffuse only, which I doubt.
    Generally you count all the relevant maps of a certain material as "one" in this context.

So when you say a single 2048 map, that's a 2k version of each texture.

And roughness, metalness and AO can get put into one texture.
  • yaschan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot for great advice.

Do you guys normally bake this kind of stuff?

baking will be a challenge because of the overlapping UVs.

Also I wonder how well Substance Designer can deal with dirt masks and such when the geometry is overlapping.
  • yaschan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    repete wrote: »
    For that I would use a 4k texture, easily done in Quixel btw using material ID's. Not sure about substance but a colour map with material IDs must be possible.

maxresdefault.jpg

You can always lower the map size later :poly121:

Yes, material IDs and such are no problem with SD, it can create them automatically.