Home General Discussion

Designing stuff - basics, how to approach the entire thing

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
dzibarik polycounter lvl 10
So after 2,5+ years of studying 3d I got a job in the industry and can make some ok stuff. But until this moment what I was mostly doing is using blueprints or good references and modelling very closely to them. The only thing I did myself was this crossbow and vials and I'm not thrilled with results + the process was rather lengthy.

Lately I have been trying to do my own designs. First, I'm making a gas mask for Killing Floor 2 and it's not going well at all. Second, my art director went on vacation and asked me to do some sci-fi swords and handles for them. My swords came out not up to par - shapes were decent but small details like all these little sci-fi thingies and some forms on a blade weren't good so she drew them herself. And suddenly it worked. I asked her what's her process and watched her but she just draws forms, looks at reference, see what works and what doesn't. It looks natural while I stare at the screen and hate every little form I produce. The only solid thing I got out of her was "composition".

So I decided to study art because I want to do my own things. The only problem is that I don't know where to start and how to continue. Obviously I like product design, architecture and so on. So I need some solid learning path for that.

1)Any advice on how this learning path would look like? Like 1)form, composition, colour - videos and books 2)practice drawing/vector drawing. After that I'm lost
2)How do you design stuff yourself? Do you kitbash? Do you use some soft like Alchemy? What's your process in general?

Replies

• Beard3D Bandit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Beard3D Bandit polycounter lvl 7
    Hi dzibarik!

Firstly, I just want to put out there that I am no professional in the gaming industry, nor have I done a degree in Game Art, 3D Modelling or anything related to Game Art.

I left my BA Architecture Degree because it was full of people I didn't want to be and the Industry seamed bleak to me (in my personal opinion). This is why I have decided to self teach myself the fundamentals of creating 3D Assets for computer games and one day to work for Bethesda Game Studios.

Now that I have introduced myself, let's talk about you. It sounds initially that there are a couple things going on here man:

You may feel/You have some kinda of creative block or lack the confidence to come up with your own designs?

I don't know which one it is so let me say this, Do you love it there? and are your colleagues providing you with enough feedback? It may the be the balance of the two, as perhaps the pressure is building to create these sci-fi swords. Look at what makes a weapon great! other famous examples, what makes it sci-fi-y.

If you need to create 'several' as suggested by your director, think of a game that does weapons well, and get inspired! Some examples:

Dark Souls - Awesome weapon variation (Rapiers that stab, Great Swords that slice and Falchions that hack)

Monster Hunter Series - Creating swords from the environment (in this case, the enemies you slay)

Much like our history my friend, all/most of these game have armor and weapons that have depth and a reason to exist. An example: In dark souls, dexterity based players would use rapiers and spears, where as Strength based players would use ultra Great-swords. So when you're designing, or planning to design your weapons, start with blocking everything.

one way to do it: Figure out what your arsenal of weapons (if you're creating several) will be and why.
    - Daggers (small personal, CQB weapon, light in weight, stab/slash)
    - standard small swords (medium sized, balanced in damage and range)
    - Machete style (smaller than standard small swords (small-medium, faster than small sword, faster rate)
    - Spears (trading damage for length, taking advantage of the slower opponents)
    - Great Swords (like claymores, this is heavier than the normal small sword, so this could be the one you trade a small sword and a shield for, good power, slower attacks)
    -Ultra Great Sword ( WTF, did you just chop down a dragon?)

So as you see, you could, just by looking at other games, find an arsenal of weapons that may suit the game you're working on. The next stage would be building these references up, analyzing them (looking at silhouettes, color, way in which they're held, hierarchy of damage vs length etc) and there history.

The last part of what I'm saying here is, enjoy it man! It sounds like you know you're not happy with it, so just looking into guides for pre-production (ways of thinking about how you should 'think')

1)Any advice on how this learning path would look like? Like 1)form, composition, colour - videos and books

Okay, most of these were drilled into me once I started Architecture. Form, Structure, orientation, History and Proportion. These can be used when creating environments but if you're looking for ways in which you can analyse in general I can only say, 'look at what others are doing'

There was the Monthly Challenge posted a day or so ago for the month October. Artists are currently posting ways in which they're blocking out their environments and how they're separating modular assets: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=158279

Check out Feng Zhu: https://www.youtube.com/user/FZDSCHOOL
    Watch how he uses silhouettes, color and uses the first layer as a method of creating form in his mind.

I'm running out of time so i can't answer the other questions, but reply man, as I wanna hear your side more.

Peace out
    Beardy
  • itzaspace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In my opinion the best way to start is studiying the visual styles that you like from your favorites artists.
    I studied that for months before starting with 2d and 3d art.
    -visual style
    -color theory
    -anatomy etc...
    I think that the study of those things is the most important phase, i remember me watching one illustration or concept for hours and hours, until i feel that my brain will remeber every single detal of that image forever.
    then you have to learn how is the process for doing that.
    and practice that style in a noob and experimental level to create your own style.
    then just study and study the softwares and techniques until you feel that have the necesary knowledge
    and finally the profesional practice!
  • huffer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    huffer interpolator
    I have a MA in Product design, what we did there was always start with reference, come up with a couple of ideas, then start sketching and iterate, iterate, iterate. We didn't jump to 3D for a year or two, and behind a simple 3d model were weeks of sketches.

Maybe you find a wooden bull sculpture you like, analyze it, see why you like about it and what not, and take some cues, translate them into your crossbow. The saying "Good designers copy, great designers steal" is pretty valid. You also need a very strong visual sense, for aestethics, composition, what make something cool or appealing, if you get this, you'll just know what to cut and what to add. You can develop your "eye" by analyzing designs and things, and see what you like or dislike, and what could you change (but always keep a reference from the absolute best in the industry, which you know for sure are outstanding designs, and you know there's not much to improve about them).
  • Beard3D Bandit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Beard3D Bandit polycounter lvl 7
    Nice feedback guys!

Itzaspace + Huffer are correct.

Before I left in a rush I was going to add the way I plan current and future projects.

As i mentioned, I would love the opportunity to work with Bethesda Game Studios, preferably working on future Fallout/TES series games. Knowing that i've been non stop searching these forums for artists who already work there, and I've engaged in conversation with a couple who have given me invaluable advice for me to work towards.

Knowing this I have a small compass bearing, but it's up to me to get there 'figuratively and possibly literally' haha.

So I am analyzing their main IP's such as:
    - There world building, dungeon modular assets, weapon variety + the artists who made them
    - If I see an environment I love (for me are the vaults) I take screenshots in game and then export the NIF files from the skyrim BSP files they have. From here I would analyze the wireframe, normal/diffuse/spec/AO maps they have created and how they unwrapped their UVs. I also take note of the poly count.
    - If I have a weapon of theres I love, not only would I export the NIF file and analyze the model/textures/UV's, but I would research other possible concepts they would have and look at it's 1) color design 2)silhouette 3) any alternative lore and functionality.

Here's two quick examples I did the other night, since I'm creating some stuff to put into skyrim:

1) Falmer Hut
    42cde905940cdacf48f3d9624e76fa90.jpg

2) Modular Barset
    50c74e09c82e984900dae93fbc211a6f.jpg

In terms of knowing exact processes, like learning how to design and create your assets, check out Digital Tutors or Gnomon Workshop.
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    Some tips here. Enviro design panel plays next if autoplay is on.

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqh1fu90JWE[/ame]
  • dzibarik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dzibarik polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks everybody! I've read all posts and so far 2 things are clear:

1)I shouldn't afraid to use reference more and more - even if I copy some parts I'll learn a lot in the process and may be produce some interesting design myself. Actually is should always be open, it helps immensely. Before that when I designed something I closed it to keep my mind clear (but actually blank...)
    2)I should loosen up and doodle more. Just doodle.