Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Labyrinth of the Pig

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
oobersli polycounter lvl 17
So I've been doing a lot of ue4 mobile stuff at work lately and needed an outlet to make more interesting art. Don't know where I'm going with this, just sit down a few nights and see what pops into my head. Right now I'm going to push the vine/root growth more with debris and breakup. still plenty of proxy meshes in the walls/floors etc.

Pig Lantern Sculpt
pZodQ9i.jpg

Some variations I played with. A water spitting and fire snorting version.

XbkHEhu.jpg

Stone texture variations. Using just mask and vectors to get the detail from sculpts.

T80Jw1J.jpg

xmjLQUs.jpg

rboqms7.jpg

And an image of the scene so far. need to fix the lighting issues on the ceilings with some trim eventually :P Also just trying to up my lighting abilities too.

the vines are using a spline blueprint from the content examples. The entire dungeon is made of modular parts so the bp makes it easier to work with more custom areas.

EDTb6AX.jpg

E32aJK4.jpg

bEm6QyH.jpg

So.. I have my second daughter due in 3 weeks, a race against time before I have a blackout of free time :D

any C&C is greatly appreciated.

Replies

• oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    not much of an update. thought I'd experiment with vine leaves, not sure if I'm digging it or if I just need to work on the placement.

4Ov2seG.jpg
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    meant to add the proxy rubble update the other night. :\

VNEkgnA.jpg
  • Christian Nordgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Christian Nordgren polycounter lvl 11
    Cool idea!

I think you should lighten the statues up more, they are pretty cool looking!
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like this a lot. Personally, I don't think the vines are doing much for you. They're a weird element that I can't put together in my head.

Maybe more of a slaughterhouse vibe? Meat hooks hanging around, chains, etc?

And yes, the statues are pretty dark. And they're such a cool element it's a shame to lose them.
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    k, got some time to jump back onto this guy and give it an honest try. The theme I'm going for is a dungeon for pigs!! Ran by pigs. Ruled by the Mighty King William *Wilbur* and he imprisons 4 leggers who refuse to walk upright on 2 legs.. His queen is the evil Charlotte spider witch. I want to sort of imagine pigs with a mix of dwarven culture.

Going to incorporate more dungeon elements in here with cells and a more open layout.

Started to use substance more in my workflow too. Muddy footprint material I'll blend in with the floor.

ziPZb5Z.jpg

[SKETCHFAB]d22398dd400444dfab3ada6277e3a323[/SKETCHFAB]

and my wall variants. more modular parts to come soon. I have some settings so I can control the grunge and if I want dirt towards the base. basic stuff. But having substance for this really makes the whole process faster by just plugging in my _N, _cavity and _AO to get a final texture.

nLMZjvU.jpg
    xP5aRlO.jpg
    cPlXO05.jpg
    aAPgk0e.jpg

[SKETCHFAB]8c744099232148a790efe431a8a20788[/SKETCHFAB]

also, any crits are welcomed.
  • killnpc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killnpc polycounter
    The mud texture with the pig hooves in them made me giggle, that's a fun detail.
  • BeardedMike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeardedMike polycounter lvl 7
    I frickin love the whole idea!

some+pig.jpg

^^ you should have Charlottes web with some sort of creepy message written in it in one of the corners
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thx. sadly I probably won't have the patience to do the characters for this but I'm working my best to deliver the mood. I imagine that wilbur would be an obese pig thats essentially glued to his throne and charolette is frail and stealthy.

oh and yes, there will be webs. webbing and bodies in cocoons will be placed through out. I've got another mesh I stick to the ends of these to suspend them in place. And have to figure out how I want silk to look like in this style.

just created one and I'll be using ffd to get some wobbly shapes out of them. Can even put a bit of jiggle in the material to make them look like someone*pig* is inside alive still.
    vG8J7vE.jpg
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    got this done over lunch. the middle slab will have a version cut out for a wooden frame and doorway mesh. I may actually add some depth and do a separate mesh for the snout. EDFOKsy.jpg
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    still need to go in and paint more highlights in the wood but heres the way it'll work with the middle slab cutout.

XYHcGDw.jpg
  • Tectonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tectonic polycounter lvl 10
    might be neat to have markings on the walls from people who tried to keep track of their way through the maze. could be in mud, or scratched in.
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ah. good call. I can make those decals.
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    productive day. ran my old brick texture through substance.

Lm3friJ.jpg
  • rogelio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rogelio greentooth
    I like the idea a lot also. I think you could get some blocks sticking out the wall to give a semi plain wall some depth. Also try to make the walls a little messed up angle wise. Everything being so straight is really hard even for modern builders. Give the everything a little bit of irregularities. The story is going to be hard to transfer I am curious how you will do that waiting to see :D It reminded me of this.

http://www.slashfilm.com/wp/wp-content/images/labryinthdoor.jpg

http://chezapocalypse.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/SursumUrsa-35LabyrinthTheHerosJourneyPart1105-783.jpg
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, when I start to get the final meshes laid out for the scene I'll pop some things out with some geo. I've got some ideas of trying to convey the story, but yeah it may be a tad difficult for some parts. I was considering having UI elements popup at random areas with some dialogue but the detailed story itself might be lost unless I can get characters and some light game play. I'll see about it as I work on the content for now. thx for the crit.

i'm a horrible logo designer but thought I'd get something a bit more interesting than just a blank render.
    19kWpdE.jpg
  • killnpc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killnpc polycounter
    cool stuff.

hey, the snout on your pillar base got clipped in the normal bake. one further, i think you should add the geo needed for the snout, both on this base and the middle door slab above the doorway, so the snout sticks out. ya, smell me?
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah! someone pointed that out earlier. I was doing the baking while at work inbetween lightmapping and totally missed that. I was trying to project it to a flat surface and I was having to push my cage out so far I just said screw it and added geo. I'll do the same with the wall too.

this thing is going to be a couple feet tall so I didn't invest a ton of polys for the snout, just enough to bake it.

r1oTsZM.jpg
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so much going on and still trying to keep at this. finally get a direction I sorta like for some of the generic hallways. Finished the door as well. Working on the blueprint anim for the door now. When you open the door, the middle section slight turns to unlock the door and the two halves slide open. Still need to get a better cell door in there and some ground debris/blending more polished.

ZOAtQD3.jpg

D17fd3i.jpg

I attempted a "character" statue and didn't break anything in the process.

4MUFiSP.jpg

Get some sexy pig butt.

AU3GRrP.jpg

Here you can kinda see how I'm going to use them. The room they're in will be getting an overhaul on the walls and ceiling.

uGrXda8.jpg

And I tried my hand at the logo again. Prolly should change the background soon. I decided that I'm going to use the pig heads for a different purpose in the level and going with more torch lighting instead.

nGzkCNl.jpg

Theres more stuff probably but I'm exhausted. I have some other rooms that are still pretty rough, when I have more I'll start posting them *with the spider webs* too.
  • Kid.in.the.Dark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kid.in.the.Dark polycounter lvl 6
    This is coming along very nicely :) I'd fix the obvious tiling on the walls/ceiling of that last screenie you posted though (Y)
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thx. yeah with just large flat walls most textures will be obvious to a degree. Once I get more geo in place to break that up I think it'll work out better. Like I said, the walls and ceiling in that area are getting an overhaul.