Home Adobe Substance

IRay in Substance Designer - Now Available!

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Jerc interpolator
As some of you may have seen already, we announced a partnership with NVidia at Siggraph to bring IRay rendering to Substance in the very near future!

For those of you who are not with us at Siggraph, here is a quick video I made to show IRay in action.

[vv]136133189[/vv]

As the video is accelerated so I could show a bit the different options, here is also a gif that shows the rendering in real time on my laptop. It's a 1920x1080 render with DoF and true light emitting materials on a 4M+ triangles mesh kindly provided by our friend Christophe Desse.

-the white spots are gif artefacts-

Dm8dfV6.gif

Here is also a little more details about what's coming exactly:
  • IRay is an unbiased offline renderer and based on the mdl material format. It can render all sorts of physically based materials such as multi layered car paint, anisotropic metals or cloth, refractive surfaces, real subsurface scattering, emissive materials, etc.
  • IRay rendering will be available starting with Substance Designer 5.3, Substance Painter support will follow a bit later on.
  • The switch between real time OpenGL rendering and IRay is instantaneous and PBR materials authored with the regular Substance shaders will translate perfectly to IRay without any additional work.
  • In addition to the built-in materials, Substance Designer will feature a full node based MDL material/shader editor.
  • It's free for everyone, you don;t need an IRay or Mental Ray license or anything like that.
  • Yebis post processes can be used on top of the rendering to add tone mapping, glare, or lens flare effects.
If you have any questions, that's what this thread is for!
We'll share more details as we get closer to release.

Replies

• Rebelismo
    This is truly incredible, and I'm extremely happy that Allegorithmic and NVIDIA came together to make this.

Although I'm a fan of the recent viewport improvements, this is just a MASSIVE leap forward in terms of Look Dev! Love seeing this type of progress, and you guys did a fantastic job! I was just wondering whether displacement maps will work within this particular version of Iray? On a similar note, are there any limitations like max trace depth for reflections?

Mind Blown. Thanks!
  • DInusty
    Offline / Send Message
    DInusty polycounter lvl 17
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Rebelismo wrote: »
    I was just wondering whether displacement maps will work within this particular version of Iray? On a similar note, are there any limitations like max trace depth for reflections?

Yes, displacement will work fine. the max trace depth will be tweakable, no hard limit.
  • Rebelismo
    That is amazing, and I can't wait to try it. I'm repeating myself, but this is a huge leap.
    Thanks!
  • electricsauce
    Offline / Send Message
    electricsauce polycounter lvl 11
    Will Iray require an Nvidia graphics card?
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    It will fallback on the CPU on computers with non-NVidia cards, meaning it will be slower but still work.
  • Rebelismo
    Jerc, would you be able to tell us an estimate when we're going to be able to try iRay within Substance Designer?
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Very, very (very) soon. That's all I can say for now :)
  • arvinmoses
    Offline / Send Message
    arvinmoses polycounter lvl 13
    Can't believe it's coming with a shader editor too! Thanks for the update Jeremie. Had to tweet about this!
  • electricsauce
    Offline / Send Message
    arvinmoses wrote: »
    Can't believe it's coming with a shader editor too! Thanks for the update Jeremie. Had to tweet about this!

Something like Unreal's material editor?
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Yes, but the material editor will come later on. First step is the IRay rendering.
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Substance Designer 5.3 is here, and with it, the integration of NVidia IRay for ultra realisitic preview and renders straight in the viewport!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLNd1PKCTe0[/ame]

A tutorial in on its way and will guide you through all of the new IRay settings and features, but it's really a one click thing so you can already play with your existing projects by switching to IRay in the renderer menu!

Don't hesistate to post your shiny renders!
  • xtrm3d
    Offline / Send Message
    xtrm3d polycounter lvl 9
    Don't hesistate to post your shiny renders!

ok ,.i bite :-)

iraysd.jpg
  • Nexinumbra
    Offline / Send Message
    Nexinumbra polycounter lvl 12
    iRay looks amazing so far from my initial tests of it! Going to have to use this as an excuse to convince the wife to let me get a better video card. :poly121: Can I get a doctor's note from you, Jerc? :poly124:

Out of curiousity, is there any chance you guys will be (if you can talk about it) bringing iRay to Painter as well? As someone who basically just uses SD to author materials to then bring into Painter I'd love to have this power there as well. Hopefully it's something you guys would consider if you hadn't already!

Loving all of these updates! Thanks for taking care of us!
  • electricsauce
    Offline / Send Message
    Is there a heightmap displacement shader for iray? If not, how do I get started writing custom shaders?
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    Nice! Painter integration soon?
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    @electricsauce Yes, you have a Height Scale option in the default IRay shader options, and you just need to plug your displacement map in the height channel.

IRay is coming to Substance Painter as well! No ETA yet though.
  • venain
    Offline / Send Message
    venain polycounter lvl 12
    When I attempt to use this my object renders as solid pink, no matter what material is on it.
    First thought was updating drivers, but that didn't do the trick. Video card is a nvidia GTX 650 ti
  • Nexinumbra
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc wrote: »
    IRay is coming to Substance Painter as well! No ETA yet though.

I think I love you.
  • xChris
    Offline / Send Message
    xChris polycounter lvl 9
    Loving it so much :) !

I am having a bit of trouble getting a good bloom out of my emissive map though, I might be looking over a setting or something, but the rest of the post effects work fine, any ideas?

Textured this guy in painter, model by Oscar Perez Ayala :)

5QSE8pe.png
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    For the emissive, don't hesitate to crank up the Emissive Intensity to a high value like 100 in the IRay material settings.
  • NicolasW
    Offline / Send Message
    NicolasW polycounter lvl 13
    venain wrote: »
    When I attempt to use this my object renders as solid pink, no matter what material is on it.
    First thought was updating drivers, but that didn't do the trick. Video card is a nvidia GTX 650 ti

It looks like we've found a way to fix that (but haven't found the source of the problem yet): reseting the session settings in the registry solves the problem. But if possible it'd really help us if you could export the registry key so we can take a look.

Export the Registry Key:
    - execute regedit (may require to execute it as administrator)
    - go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Allegorithmic\Substance Designer\5_x\
    - select the "session" key
    - Go to File / Export...
    - name it whatever you want, sent it to me (pm)

solve the problem:
    - make sure SD is closed
    - delete it

It should solve the problem.
  • alexk
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    Hey, first off, love the addition of IRay!

Been doing some quick tests with it and I notice that I get grain in my renders. I think I had this one set to a min sample of 1000 and a max of 2000. I think I waited about 5 mins and at that point I didn't see any further improvements.

What settings would I need to get a clean render without the grain like I marked down in my screenshot?

sfp2oEs.png
  • Swarm22
    Offline / Send Message
    Swarm22 polycounter lvl 15
    I was also doing some quick tests, I had my min and max samples turned up to max with about 5 min wait time just to try and fix the grain but nothing I've tried thus far has seemed to fix it. You can clearly see it in my example on the left side of the sphere.

mXaMEk4.jpg
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Rough surfaces take longer to converge but could you try lowering the intensity of your normal map high frequency detail in these areas and see if the noisiness goes away?
  • xChris
    Offline / Send Message
    xChris polycounter lvl 9
    Jerc wrote: »
    For the emissive, don't hesitate to crank up the Emissive Intensity to a high value like 100 in the IRay material settings.

Got it! Thanks Jerc :)
  • venain
    Offline / Send Message
    NicolasW wrote: »
    It looks like we've found a way to fix that (but haven't found the source of the problem yet): reseting the session settings in the registry solves the problem. But if possible it'd really help us if you could export the registry key so we can take a look.

Export the Registry Key:
    - execute regedit (may require to execute it as administrator)
    - go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Allegorithmic\Substance Designer\5_x\
    - Go to File / Export...
    - name it whatever you want, sent it to me (pm)

solve the problem:
    - make sure SD is closed
    - delete it

It should solve the problem.

Thanks for the reply,

Sadly I can't send the registry key as this is happening on my work PC. Also, deleting the key didn't do the trick:( still getting pink renders
  • JavaFern
    Offline / Send Message
    JavaFern polycounter lvl 10
    I was getting pink too, but after uninstalling an older version of substance designer 4 it started working properly
  • venain
    Offline / Send Message
    JavaFern wrote: »
    I was getting pink too, but after uninstalling an older version of substance designer 4 it started working properly

This did the trick, thanks!
  • NicolasW
    Offline / Send Message
    About the magenta/pink issue: there is a high probability it comes from the default shader set in the user_project. To fix that:
    - go to the Preferences / Project
    - click on the User project
    - scroll down to the 3D View group / Default Shader
    - Click on the "arrow" button to reset it to default
    - Click OK
    - restart SD

Now it should work properly.
  • Nexinumbra
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick question. The initial post talks about iRay using the MDL material format and it says "It can render all sorts of physically based materials such as multi layered car paint, anisotropic metals or cloth, refractive surfaces, real subsurface scattering, emissive materials, etc."

I noticed that the release trailer also talks about special shaders like the layered car paint shader, but I haven't yet found if this or any other special types of materials are included in 5.3. I ask because I had wanted to see about working on some materials that required subsurface scattering (candles, skin, etc) but I couldn't find any materials that seemed to support it.
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    We will provide some of these custom mdl files in 5.3.1.
    Actually the default metal/roughness mdl will feature sub-surface scattering and anisotropy directly but the schedule was a little too tight to integrate it in the 5.3 release.
  • moraff
    Offline / Send Message
    moraff polycounter lvl 4
    Had a go with IRay myself, pretty sweet! As others have already said; patiently waiting for turntables :)karl-willmann-jpegbike.jpg?1444523704
  • xtrm3d
    Offline / Send Message
    xtrm3d polycounter lvl 9
    iray in designer roxx !!
    still need some features .. but it is quit a great first integration pass

plane-a.png
  • luthyn
    Offline / Send Message
    luthyn polycounter lvl 8
    Hey! Was wondering how to save out an iRay 'template' scene. I saw that under the Scene tab in the 3D view that you can export your scene, but I'm not sure how to load that back into iRay after you've closed and reopened Substance. 
  • NicolasW
    Offline / Send Message
    You can't load it back in designer. It's meant to be loaded in other Iray compatible applications.