Home General Discussion

Colleges with No Portfolio Requirements

Hey, i'm applying to colleges right now, and I was wondering if there are any good colleges with art programs that don't require me to submit a portfolio. Right now I'm looking at the Savannah College of Art and Design (which says it only uses portfolios for scholarship stuff) and the Columbia College Chicago. I was looking at the college threads already on this site, but couldn't find any relevant info, or maybe I'm just bad at looking.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Replies

• m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    Hey, i'm applying to colleges right now, and I was wondering if there are any good colleges with art programs that don't require me to submit a portfolio. Right now I'm looking at the Savannah College of Art and Design (which says it only uses portfolios for scholarship stuff) and the Columbia College Chicago. I was looking at the college threads already on this site, but couldn't find any relevant info, or maybe I'm just bad at looking.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Why would you want to attend somewhere that doesn't have a portfolio requirement?

Even the for profit places make you submit portfolios (don't know whether or not they make any difference to getting in).
  • TheWalkerGod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, cause i don't know if I can produce a good enough portfolio.
  • Kbrom12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kbrom12 polycounter lvl 8
    I went to SCAD and graduated in 2012. I did not submit a portfolio when I applied; If you go to SCAD please do more than just the assignments your given - if you don't you'll be hurting yourself.
  • FullSynch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FullSynch polycounter lvl 11
    You should produce one regardless. I got a 3k per semester scholarship for mine years ago. It was kinda poop at the time. :\
  • TheWalkerGod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FullSynch wrote: »
    You should produce one regardless. I got a 3k per semester scholarship for mine years ago. It was kinda poop at the time. :\

I suppose, although honestly I don't really know what to put. For instance, if I were doing a character could I just draw the head, or would I have to draw the entire character? It doesn't help that a lot these colleges don't show examples of what a good portfolio looks like.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Unfortunately, if you don't think you have skills to get in, you won't really develop more when you come out.

It's like many of those computer programmers, before entering college and enrolling in computer science, lots of em been writing lots of apps since high-school or before that.

Sure, you can work hard during college and catch up. But, then, you can also start now! Put together a folio NOW.

Doing minimum in arts is a 'meh'. No one really gets anything out of it.

It is like dancing. It takes time to develop your posture, your balance, your muscle strength, your confidence, and all the knowledge and how/why/what to do. It's way more than just forward, side, together. Back, side, together.

@TheWalkerGod What would you want to do then ?? Character Design ? Character Modeler/Artist ?
  • TheWalkerGod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kbrom12 wrote: »
    I went to SCAD and graduated in 2012. I did not submit a portfolio when I applied; If you go to SCAD please do more than just the assignments your given - if you don't you'll be hurting yourself.

Well I know that you should always try to do work outside what you're giving, regardless of the college. Would you say SCAD was worth it. I almost curious what the location's like.
  • Kbrom12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kbrom12 polycounter lvl 8
    Well I know that you should always try to do work outside what you're giving, regardless of the college. Would you say SCAD was worth it. I almost curious what the location's like.

Savannah is an awesome area; I know very few people who didn't like it.

Is SCAD worth it...hard to say, the networking was the best part. I wouldn't be where I am now without the networking I acquired while there. I can't say the game department produces the best talent but I definitely don't regret my decision of attending.
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    I suppose, although honestly I don't really know what to put. For instance, if I were doing a character could I just draw the head, or would I have to draw the entire character? It doesn't help that a lot these colleges don't show examples of what a good portfolio looks like.

I mean if you have no art whatsoever to put into a portfolio to apply to an art school, you might want to rethink your plans.

Now if you lack confidence in the work you have, that is okay, but surely you must have some sort of artwork be it graphic design, photography, drawings or paintings.

These schools tend not to specify exact things that should be in a portfolio because they get applicants with all sorts of skill levels and backgrounds. Even if you apply and don't get in, it isn't a big deal, but don't let that portfolio requirement scare you off.
  • TheWalkerGod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern wrote: »
    Unfortunately, if you don't think you have skills to get in, you won't really develop more when you come out.

It's like many of those computer programmers, before entering college and enrolling in computer science, lots of em been writing lots of apps since high-school or before that.

Sure, you can work hard during college and catch up. But, then, you can also start now! Put together a folio NOW.

Doing minimum in arts is a 'meh'. No one really gets anything out of it.

It is like dancing. It takes time to develop your posture, your balance, your muscle strength, your confidence, and all the knowledge and how/why/what to do. It's way more than just forward, side, together. Back, side, together.

@TheWalkerGod What would you want to do then ?? Character Design ? Character Modeler/Artist ?

Yeah from what i can gather, putting together a folio now would be a smart thing to do. FYI I'd like to be a character artist.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Alright, character artist it is. I presume 3d ? Do you have software to get started ?? Blender and Sculptris are free to use. And can make stuff to show your skills.

Also if you notice/look up some past competitions we have here, many artists also design their own characters. So drawings also a big part.

Below are examples I grab off of Pinterest.

Design variations. Popular choice. Shows you can design.
    1b2cfa5c1e7368dfc67b3a9d7fba81e7.jpg

While something like this show you understand the form in 3d.
    51897afbcb345fd78066c083bf10e864.jpg

or in 3d - http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?148039-Sculptris-Sketches-Benjamin-Slack
    7ff8ec307d5739afbe2e67bf6f3e0961.png

Again, you don't necessary have to hit that high quality stuff which require time and skills and knowledge to develop. But getting a good start is a good start. I'd even forget the details and just get the big shapes above all else. But that's just me... If I can make high quality stuff myself, then I wouldn't go to college...
  • TheWalkerGod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern wrote: »
    Alright, character artist it is. I presume 3d ? Do you have software to get started ?? Blender and Sculptris are free to use. And can make stuff to show your skills.

Also if you notice/look up some past competitions we have here, many artists also design their own characters. So drawings also a big part.

Below are examples I grab off of Pinterest.

Design variations. Popular choice. Shows you can design.
    1b2cfa5c1e7368dfc67b3a9d7fba81e7.jpg

While something like this show you understand the form in 3d.
    51897afbcb345fd78066c083bf10e864.jpg

or in 3d - http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?148039-Sculptris-Sketches-Benjamin-Slack
    7ff8ec307d5739afbe2e67bf6f3e0961.png

Again, you don't necessary have to hit that high quality stuff which require time and skills and knowledge to develop. But getting a good start is a good start. I'd even forget the details and just get the big shapes above all else. But that's just me... If I can make high quality stuff myself, then I wouldn't go to college...

Wow thanks, this is really helpful. And yeah, I have the software don't worry.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    I can see where you're coming from. I was in the same position back in '98. It's a bit of a chicken and egg problem. "Why would I go to a school to learn how to create art if I already have a folio and know how to create art?". I wouldn't have been in the industry for the last 10 years if it weren't for one of those no-folio-required colleges.

Having said that, you may be fine without a folio; However you still need to be able to draw and have at least some talent, and if not you have to have the will to force yourself to practice. Art school is practice, practice, practice, as if you were learning an instrument.

Another downside of no-folio colleges is that you'll also end up with a lot of naive class mates with no talent and no drive, expecting everything to be spoon-fed, who'll drag everything down. A portfolio entry requirement basically removes those people from your classes.

If anyway possible, you should try to get a folio ready though.
  • TheWalkerGod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm wrote: »
    I can see where you're coming from. I was in the same position back in '98. It's a bit of a chicken and egg problem. "Why would I go to a school to learn how to create art if I already have a folio and know how to create art?". I wouldn't have been in the industry for the last 10 years if it weren't for one of those no-folio-required colleges.

Having said that, you may be fine without a folio; However you still need to be able to draw and have at least some talent, and if not you have to have the will to force yourself to practice. Art school is practice, practice, practice, as if you were learning an instrument.

Another downside of no-folio colleges is that you'll also end up with a lot of naive class mates with no talent and no drive, expecting everything to be spoon-fed, who'll drag everything down. A portfolio entry requirement basically removes those people from your classes.

If anyway possible, you should try to get a folio ready though.

Hm, well I'm not too worried about people who will drag the class down. It happens in plenty of my high school classes, and I end up learning anyway.But yeah, I'm definitely going to try and get a portfolio together since it's really going to be better for me in the long run if I do.

Just curious which college did you go to.
  • RaptorCWS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RaptorCWS polycounter lvl 11
    The art school I went to did not require a portfolio to start classes in the art school, but by the time you declare a concentration you had to have a portfolio demonstrating the basic skill to get accepted into the program. Which in my opinion is a pretty good way of doing things since some students who are interested in art may have came from a school system with little or no funding for art. but a lot with art school is what you put into it. just doing the assignments are generally not enough for you to be prepared for a job in the industry. It will be a lot of pushing yourself to meet the quality bar of what is going in to current-gen games over the bare minimum for an A.
  • Segreto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Segreto polycount sponsor
    Don't stress too much about the portfolio requirements some schools have. It's largely just a way of seeing if you have the motivation and ability to put something together, along with some basic understanding of 'art'. They know you are going to school to learn and likely aren't great yet. They mostly just want to see if you are willing and able.
  • Meloncov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meloncov greentooth

For a college portfolio, you want to show you know the fundamentals. Still lives, life drawings, self-portraits, stuff like that. If you have software skills or strong illustrations you can show them, but the most important thing is showing that you have basic artistic skills to build on.
  • Shyralon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shyralon polycounter lvl 11
    From what I know, basics are not that important for a college portfolio. I mean sure, to be a good artist it's essential to know the basics, but they can (and hopefully will) teach you that in college. From my experience they want to see more that you are motivated enough to produce work in your freetime as well, have the will to improve and are a atleast somewhat creative person...
    Not sure if it's everywhere like that, but that's what I heard from a few universitys around here.
  • Meloncov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meloncov greentooth
    Shyralon wrote: »
    From what I know, basics are not that important for a college portfolio. I mean sure, to be a good artist it's essential to know the basics, but they can (and hopefully will) teach you that in college. From my experience they want to see more that you are motivated enough to produce work in your freetime as well, have the will to improve and are a atleast somewhat creative person...
    Not sure if it's everywhere like that, but that's what I heard from a few universitys around here.

Hmm, where are you located, and were you looking at traditional art schools or game schools like Digipen? Because I know for U.S. traditional art schools (SCAD, Ringling, RISD, etc), they're definitely looking for fundamentals first and foremost, but that might not be true elsewhere.

Also, ConceptArt.org has a great sub-forum devoted to art schools; it's definitely worth checking out.
  • TheWalkerGod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Meloncov
    I'm located near Seattle and was looking at traditional art schools, since schools like Digipen aren't regionally accredited.

Also thanks to everyone for taking the time to reply, this has been really helpful, and I'm definitely going to work hard to make a good portfolio. Quick question though, if (worst case scenario) I don't get into the art schools I want, then what would I do then?
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 13
    Get a random job while working on your portfolio afterwards. That's basically what you will most likely be doing after you graduate, regardless of which school you go to.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Hm, well I'm not too worried about people who will drag the class down. It happens in plenty of my high school classes, and I end up learning anyway.But yeah, I'm definitely going to try and get a portfolio together since it's really going to be better for me in the long run if I do.

Just curious which college did you go to.

AiFL - but now, in 2015, I wouldn't go there again. Even though I think it was pretty ok back in '98. Nowadays the money you spend at private schools is just insane, and SCAD isn't much of an exception either. I would study overseas (UK has some pretty good schools for 3D) or study traditional art at a community college and get the digital knowledge from Polycount, Gumroad, 3D Motive, etc. I don't think there's any excuse nowadays for throwing cash at 3D for-profit schools.
    I don't get into the art schools I want, then what would I do then?
    Learn something useful? ;) Just joking, but there are many ways into games. They all have something in common though: it requires persistence.
    Study project management and read up on art production and game dev techniques for a producer job. Or do the same for programming. But there are also jobs for marketing people, although not on the main production floor. However, art itself is a very diverse field - just because you suck at drawing doesn't necessarily mean you don't have talent; having a sense for motion and timing is essential for animators. Lighters work with colors, mood and of course light.... so even in art you have quite a few alternatives.
  • TheWalkerGod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't mean to ghost this thread but it seemed better than starting a new one just to ask this one question. Anyway I think I might have been mixed up when I was discussing in this thread earlier. Do most colleges allow you to declare a major in fine arts your sophomore year like they do with other majors, or are there introductory classes that you have to take before declaring your major in fine art (and if so do those classes require a portfolio or are they open to everyone). I'm talking about more general university like the University of Washington or Purdue, not art schools.

One of the reasons I'm asking is because a bunch of people were telling me to work on my portfolio now, and this seems a lot easier if I have until sophomore year in college to have it done (2 years) then the end of senior year in high school. Of course if I were applying to a good art school instead, I'd have to have a portfolio done before even applying.
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    http://www.admissions.purdue.edu/majors/majors_details.php?MjrCd=INDUSDES
    An art portfolio is not required to begin this major. However, students are required to pass a selective portfolio review in the spring of their sophomore year to advance to upper level design and complete this major. Selection is competitive and is based on the student’s work in Purdue art and design courses and development as a designer. Students not selected for upper level Industrial Design work with their academic advisor to change to their second choice major, usually without adding time to their four-year degree plan.

I don't know this program, just came across it recently. Maybe other universities have similar options for only requiring portfolio for advance level work in your 3rd and 4th years. In theory, you could just do two years of fundamental art courses. If you find a better school after that you should be able to transfer. But if you still don't have a decent art portfolio after those two years maybe consider other majors other than arts related? :thumbup:
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    Another option if you're willing to study in Canada (cheaper for sure), you can go to Sheridan and take their Art Fundamentals program. I believe it's only a year long.

https://www.sheridancollege.ca/academics/programs-and-courses/art-fundamentals.aspx

It's really for artist wannabes who have zero art skills but the art you make in "fundies" you can use in your portfolio when you apply for Sheridan's Bachelor of Game Design or Animation. Don't laugh, Sheridan's annually holds industry days where reps from big game and movie studios come over either to recruit or network.
  • TheWalkerGod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar wrote: »
    http://www.admissions.purdue.edu/majors/majors_details.php?MjrCd=INDUSDES

I don't know this program, just came across it recently. Maybe other universities have similar options for only requiring portfolio for advance level work in your 3rd and 4th years. In theory, you could just do two years of fundamental art courses. If you find a better school after that you should be able to transfer. But if you still don't have a decent art portfolio after those two years maybe consider other majors other than arts related? :thumbup:

Thanks a lot, this looks really interesting. I'll have to look at the program a bit more closely but it seems like a good fit. I'm not worried if I can't get a decent portfolio after two years, If that happens I'll try for programming.