Home Technical Talk

Modo 901 Ghost Edges

cgBrad
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
cgBrad polycounter lvl 5
So I started to learn Modo and picked up Modo Indie.

While modeling this gun barrel for some reason I have developed "ghost edges". I can not select these edges, yet they show up.

PQYBrqx.png

They don't seem to actually affect anything, which is fine, just wondering why they exist and if I can do anything about them.

I was basically, but not 100% following [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qR9X44hD9b4"]this tutorial[/ame].

Replies

• Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Have you tried in the left hand panel > Mesh Edit tab > Mesh Cleanup? (Bind that to a key; you'll use it a lot)
  • cgBrad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cgBrad polycounter lvl 5
    Wow, quick response! Yes I have.

I've also exported to OBJ and imported to ZBrush, and doesn't seem to be an issue there.
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Is it possible you've selected those polygons at some point and locked them ("J" by default)? This would make them unselectable and skipped on export (for memory anyway). With nothing selected press I to unlock them if so and then meshcleanup or manually select them again; the best way being with MMB lasso select (which selects through, unlike RMB lasso)

Another thing you can do is delete your mesh and see if they disappear too. If so, they're in the current mesh and not some other mesh item you've perhaps forgotten about. You can also toggle on viewing vertices (CTRL+1 pie menu) which might help show what is going on. Another thing you can try if something odd is happening is triangulate everything (SHIFT+T with nothing selected) to see if non-planar quads are doing something weird.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You can select polygons by vertex count.

On the right, go to Lists > Statistics > Polygons > By Vertex > hit the little + beside 2, to select all 2-point polygons (or enter the command "select.polygon set vertex psubdiv 2").

Then you can just delete them.
  • StormyBA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StormyBA polycounter lvl 8
    I found this kinda thing happened a fair bit when I switched over to modo because the work flow is a bit different. I often duplicated geometry with out realising it and ended up in a situation like you are, fear not! the more you use it the less it happens.

In that situation I tend to just grab all the stuff I want in poly mode Hit Ctl X to cut... N for new object and just ctl V to paste it in. Delete the broken mesh layer.

Copy/Cut/Paste in modo are you friends! Use it a lot :D
  • cgBrad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cgBrad polycounter lvl 5
    Thanks for the suggestion guys, but non of them helped, but I did figure it out.
    I believe that those edges might be actually polygons, so thin they look like just edges.

Right path, they where flipped polys. I didn't have backface selection on so no way to click them properly. Not sure sure how it happened, and was quite a bitch to clean all of them up.
  • StormyBA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StormyBA polycounter lvl 8
    It might of been a poly bevel with "Group Polygons" unselected giving you a local bevel on all the polys - you will get internal faces from that.

Another option is duplicating your mesh on top of the old mesh.