Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Enalrem's Improvement thread

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Enalrem polycounter lvl 8
Current latest:

----------

So yea, first real thread here.

Currently I'm studying Game Design and Development at HKU in the Netherlands. I have been modelling for 2 years now, only in the last year I wanted to become really good. So at the beginning of this year I started with zBrush and updating my portfolio.

My goal for this year is to take my art to the next level, I want to apply to the biggest gaming companies in the Netherlands for my internship. I have much more to learn, so that's why I started this thread. To get feedback and get better!

tumblr_nunxrtMnFD1s9ira5o2_1280png
tumblr_nunxrtMnFD1s9ira5o1_1280pngtumblr_nunxrtMnFD1s9ira5o3_1280png

So here my first anatomy sculpt, I would love some critiques on the anatomy etc. before I move on to making the lowpoly!

Replies

• Enalrem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished the lowpoly, would love to hear some feedback, it's my first time creating something like this...

tumblr_nv2lo4ovId1s9ira5o1_1280.jpgtumblr_nv2lo4ovId1s9ira5o3_1280.png
  • Enalrem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished the final lowpoly

tumblr_nvdz4eZKdQ1s9ira5o4_1280.pngtumblr_nvdz4eZKdQ1s9ira5o3_1280.png
  • Enalrem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Used the female anatomy model for my latest completed project;
    "Tora" concept by Adrian Dadich
    One of my projects I learned most from. Never made clothes or hair before, and almost everything was new for me. Would love some feedback!
  • Enalrem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, two years later. Let's continue my thread. I just finished my BA Game Design and Development and I just started on my MA Game Art and Design at Hertfordshire. I just started this project and I want to finish it in one month, if given enough time.

I found this cool design by Zhenpeng Wu and started with the blockout: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/3nb2o . I tried searching what the design was made for and I ended up at  this website: http://magicleaders.com/student.html It seems to be a character art school? I didn't know about it, but the designs there looks cool. 

I will be spending the next days on the blockout. His hands will be made in Maya

• Enalrem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scrap that guy in the freezer. Starting on the Artstation challenge, hoping to finish something before the deadline... Finding out that actually working and combining personal work is pretty hard. Kudos to the people that actually manage to do so much stuff besides full time working. I hope to get fully back to it soon because I have way too many ideas that I still need to develop. 

Anyway, here's my progress for now:
    A dirty blockout, slowly doing the first pass from top to bottom. 

• Enalrem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I quickly finalized my highpoly this weekend :)The coming weekends are going to be busy so I will need my time for the texturing etc. Would have loved to make proper folds/ spend more time on the anatomy and make the model overall better, but if I spend any more time on the highpoly I fear that I won't make the deadline. 

• Enalrem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another project, this time without a deadline. Just something for fun to work on in my free time :). I finished the block out and I will probably start on detailing this weekend.

• bkost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bkost interpolator
    Very interesting shapes and design! Off to a great start! She could really use some weapons, perhaps some pistols or a grand staff. What is her story? 

And are the satchels and bags MD simulation? 
    I look forward to seeing your progress.
  • Carabiner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Carabiner greentooth
    Sincere question: why does she need to have boob holes?
  • Enalrem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah, I definitely don't take credit for the design! I was pretty sure I added the link to the original concept, but I must have forgotten. The original concept is by Daeho Cha 

The reason i went for this design is because I wanted to make a 3D model where I would have most fun with a lot details and straps without thinking too much. This design is very easy to follow because all the shapes are clear in the concept :) The design is ridiculous, but it is a lot of fun to work on.

@bkost Yeah, satchels and bags are md, but all the straps and rope are just modelled

• Enalrem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Adding in some details
  • Enalrem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A bit late because this part has been finished for a while, started already on the base textures

• Enalrem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First pass on the leather

• Enalrem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm quite happy with the skin for now. Followed this  Tutorial with a few tweaks and this Tutorial with a few tweaks. WIP eyelashes and hair that is still way too symmetrical. Planning on adjusting that more. Right now the eyebrows are in the textures and there is no actual haircards. Might add a few to increase the 3D effect.

• Enalrem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Taking a short break from my current project to fit the new Artstation challenge in between :)I will be making Mordred made by Ana Fedina

For now the first little bit of the face. Tomorrow I hope to spend more time on adjusting the shapes and fixing the volumes.

• Enalrem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

A bit more work on the face
    PS. feedback is as always appreciated :)
  • Enalrem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Adjusted the face a little bit. Worked on the first blockout for the upper body and did some work on the hardsurface props like the swords and daggers. Trying to find out how the shapes of the concept work. Since this will be a game-ready character I tried to go for alternative  sleeves that might be easier to rig / animate.  Hoping to finish off the blockout for the upper body tomorrow and and start the lower body as well, since I'd have to struggle a lot less with Marvelous Designer for tomorrow. 
  • Enalrem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Wanted to do a bit more, but I got tired. At least the base is there
  • Enalrem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Started adding some WIP cloth definition and some other detailing. Wasn't able to work on it in the meantime since I was abroad for the weekend. Hopefully I can finish the highpoly this weekend as I will be away for holiday for another two weeks in not too long D:

Still need to adjust the arms. The body proportions seem to be right, if I put the model next to the concept. The arms however seem to be a tad bit too long? Although in the concept the arms are also really long...

• Enalrem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

This weekend I finalized the highpoly. Would love to spend some more time on it, polishing it all, but this is all I can probably do in the timeframe I have.
  • Enalrem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Finished the retopo after working hours, it's a bit messy, but good enough for some posing. Did a very crude rig and weightpaint so I could pose the model. Also did a quick set-up with the materials, but a lot of tweaking is still required on this WIP. At least I know the general direction that I want to go in now :) Next two weeks will be quiet here because I will go on holiday!
  • Justo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    Nicely done Enalrem! Impressive what you did in such a reduced timeframe  :) Enjoy your holidays!
  • Enalrem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Super happy that I was able to finish this in time! I changed the modelled hair to haircards last minute and while I could have polished it all a lot more, I'm glad with the outcome. Working fulltime and going on a holiday made this a tough challenge timewise :) 
    That's it for this project. I might polish it a bit here and there so I can upload it to my portfolio

• Enalrem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And a turntable!

• kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Looks super. Really like the pose. Only comment would be the deformation of the bent arms looks a little cazy.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    I really like the overall design even though there are some logic flaws in it when looking in detail
    The weakest part I would call the eyes even when stylized
    However the overall model is done really quite well!
  • IvanMantis007
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Freaking awesome!
    The armour and body pieces are well designed :)
  • Enalrem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone :)
    @rollin I'm curious to know what you think is the weakest part about the eyes? I will give this all another pass this weekend so I want to fix everything I can :)
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    He's not focusing. He looks to the right and the left. Also the inner ayes are a bit too far apart exaggerating the effect. And they look dull in color (esp. fascinating if I take a look and the diffuse which doesn't look that bad) and lacking glossy reflections. 
    The eyebrows on the hp work better, maybe bc they are darker, not sure.
  • Enalrem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clear feedback, thank you! I will improve it :+1:
  • Aydhe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aydhe polycounter lvl 5
    I saw this entry on artstation. Really like nice work on the sculpt.
  • Enalrem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And after half a year of silence another update! This project has been going on for about one and a half years now and I finally want to finish it. With the whole Work From Home I can find the time again to work on it a little more. I made a list of improvement points: 
    • Adjust the colours on the face
    • Adjust the normals on the knees? (make them less prominent? move them up?)
    • Texture the secondary sword
    • Polish the cape alpha and texture
    This was the original concept it is based on: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/GqxXz
    I would love some feedback on areas I can improve, since I'm polishing it all right now. 

• kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Looks cool!
     The feet might be a bit big.
    The tears in the cape look like a corrupted mesh.
    I like the color scheme and the detailing of the costume assets. The spiked wrist bands would make it pretty hard to walk tho.
  • Enalrem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In other news I started on something new! A sketch blockout since my 2D skills will make you cry. Just a silly concept :)