Home Technical Talk

Maya 2016 Uv Shader Distrtion Question

Hello! So I've just started working in Maya 2016 and I love the new setup in general. My one question concerns the UV Distortion Shader Display however. So I modeled and UV'ed a cable and I'm pretty used to already knowing how to do that in previous versions of Maya. However, as most of you may know, with the new UV Distortion Shader Display, you can see if there will be any issues with your unwrap generally.

The 1st Picture is of the cable unwrapped and with the Display checkered tiles turned on to show it looks fine. My UV unwrap for this cable is shown in the second picture as a straightened out cable. As you can see, there are a lot of compression and stretching marks (blue&red) but that obviously doesn't show as the result in 3D.

I'm wondering, is there any way to get rid of these marks on my UV's so they are pure white? Or is this just a shader issue and I should ignore it? Thanks ahead of time!

5ph3f8.jpg

28jxqv9.jpg

Replies

• m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    The Left side stretching is fine, it is due to the outside radius of the cable bend being larger than the inside and vice versa. For the stuff on the right side, grab those verts and scale them horizontally, or you could run an unfold constrained horizontally.

Basically with a cable with bends you will never get pure white.
  • ILoveArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey m4dcow thanks for taking the time to reply. Yeah I figured I would most likely not worry too much about the shader but you're right on fixing stuff I can such as the right side of my uv shell. I appreciate your input mate!