Home Technical Talk

3ds inaccurate viewport issue

Hey y'all, I'm having this issue where sometimes my 3ds max viewport becomes really inaccurate, and it's being an absolute pain!

(attached image) The vertex + wireframe starts to look slightly offset from the shaded model, and when trying to select individual vertices the actual vertex slection "area" is offset (pink dot) from where it's actually shown (blue dot). This is random (it's not consistenly offset on top for example), and the problem persists even if I go into wireframe view. I do notice that it tends to happen when I'm zoomed in close. As you can imagine, it makes trying to select vertices a nightmare as I'm hovering round and round the vertex trying to find it to select it!

Has anyone else experienced this, and do you know why / how to solve it? Is it some setting thing I can tweak, or some 3ds bug I'll have to live with?

Any light shed on this is much appreciated.

Replies

• echofourpapa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    echofourpapa polycounter lvl 4
    I used to have this issue a lot in Max 2014, not so much in 2015 and I haven't experienced it at all in 2016. I did find that "Z" for zoom extents helps refocus the camera on what I'm working on and helped me avoid the problem. So I'm not sure if it's my workflow change or maybe a bug fix in max that caused me to not have this problem anymore.
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    I wasn't too sure whether it's related to the missing vertex bug or not (that sometimes your vertex dot didn't display, therefor you cant select vertex even though you're on vertex sub-object mode), but you can try to convert it to mesh then back to poly, at least it fix the missing vertex bug for me.
  • artbunny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys! @echofourpapa your Z shortcut thing seems to have worked... (fingers crossed!!!)