Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Modular Low Poly Piece Help Needed

Hey peepz!
Im working on a modular environment set and need help.

I have my sculpted high poly walkway and have the low poly version.

Now I realize that having individual stones would be unnecessary polygons as they can easily be baked to a flat plane and only have the parts on the side be actual stones with the part in the middle being a flat face.

On the right is what I have and mimicked roughly what it would look like on the left.

What I need help with is making the middle part a flat plane.I tried welding the opposite stone edges together but its a looong and seems like a retarded way of doing it.
If anyone know of an easy way to do it I would really appreciate it.

Capture.jpg

Replies

• MattyWS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattyWS polycounter lvl 11
    That already wouldn't tile correctly within the quad on the right side. The way I did this sort of thing in Max is to make a single quad, arrange the high poly bricks within the space of the quad then duplicate that bright work to the right, left top and bottom sides and make sure the brickwork still fits together. Then I would just use Render to Texture on the quad.
  • Christo Oosthuizen
    Hey!
    They only have to tile vertically, but tiling isnt the problem.

I can render it to a texture yes, but that means that it would be a flat quad and I would like to have some geometry along the left n right sides to improve the silhouette.

Capture2.jpg

So it would be like merging a flat quad in the center (where one would put the quad to render to texture) but with the extra geometry welded to the side of the quad.
  • Disheveled Zen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If that is the type of effect you are after, you may be better off just making two pieces. One that is a flat, baked texture, for the majority of the floor. Then pieces with actual geometry that would tile on the ends to give the effect shown in your image. This method, however, would mean you would need it to tile on all sides for it to work correctly.
  • Christo Oosthuizen
    If that is the type of effect you are after, you may be better off just making two pieces. One that is a flat, baked texture, for the majority of the floor. Then pieces with actual geometry that would tile on the ends to give the effect shown in your image. This method, however, would mean you would need it to tile on all sides for it to work correctly.

You might be right, a tillable texture with the separate model for the edges, it beats stitching all the verts together.

Props to Blizzard for how ever the hell they pulled it off!