Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Ghost in the Shell intro VFX Remake

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
aleksandr.kili polycounter lvl 4
Hey guys, I graduated from Gnomon school a few months ago and this is what I've made for my demo reel. I know this site mostly is into game art but I've been coming here forever so hopefully someone finds it cool.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wUH_45lgT0[/ame]

I am responsible for all of it inc modeling, the lil guitar soundtrack etc ALL besides the base mesh for the girl, guy head and skeleton. But as an artist looking for work im focused on FX.

Ask me for any details etc, I'm open to crits of course I made it a point to save all (300 gigs!) of this project so I can update it in a few months. Will certainly consider changing the music soundtrack to something more electronic and fitting.

Modeling in maya and some zbrush, FX lighting rendering in houdini. Many thanks to my great fx teachers who helped me out like Peter Claes and Ryan Hurd and shout out to ash thorpe because his gits project is super awesome.

Replies

• Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Nicely done, mate.
    Looks like there would have been a few challenging shots in that to get right.
  • Dethling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dethling polycounter lvl 11
    You just graduated from school? Yo're kidding me... that Demo-Reel is awesome.
    I really like the "composing" shots, very well made.
  • DireWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Holy cow mind blown good job man.
  • Stinkfoot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinkfoot polycounter lvl 11
    the scenes and angles are spot on, it really neds the original music!
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    Looks awesome! You need to show some comp/fx breakdowns though. Also you have some continuity issues with the lighting between the coming out of the water (0:34) and the following shot (0:36). Should be an easy fix of just matching the colours of the key light.

Might want to go with something more electronic for the music (something along the lines of DeusEX:HR or something). But really the music isn't super important.
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Texelion polycounter lvl 8
    I know that you focus on VFX, and that part is realllly good, but I can't help but focus on the face and body that could be a lot better, especially if you didn't do that yourself you could have taken better models.

OR create a parody ( which won't affect the VFX ) and use something funny instead.

I guess it's too late now. But maybe think about it next time.

Good job on the VFX anyway.
  • aleksandr.kili
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve- Thanks! yeah, that second liquid flowing shot was the hardest I'd say. Took a good month and still so much that could be re done.

Deth- haha yep, appreciate it

Dire- thanks!

I didnt wanna get the copyright claims stink, im looking into some electronic stuff though thats free to use. Just been learning acoustic so wanted to show it off lol

Joshua No doubt, orange one is sooooo weird

Ryswick, thanks thats something I may add in the second pass in a week or so. Breakdowns and apply a few crits. The continuity on those shots was a challenge! Even the original seems to have an odd change with that shot and the next, but not as severe for sure. It was like what makes water look good doesnt work with the milky wax and vice versa, and then its gotta match with the next shot which has to be a dark one whooo. So I just handled it like the second shot is just way higher up in the chamber where that orange light doesnt hit anymore, but I'll definitely spend more time trying to get it right, would love to see how a pro lighter handles lighting for all the different materials.

edit- texelion. I feel you man, and it cost me 25 bucks to get that 3d scan! I should have spent more time searching for a perfect one. Thank you. Having a higher res body and being able to render it in HD with displacements would have been awesome.. it already took 25 days of pure rendering at 720p on my 2 comps tho
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    awesome job overall! : )
  • aleksandr.kili
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer wrote: »
    awesome job overall! : )

Thanks!