Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Xenomorph / Robot Modeling Reel

moraff
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
moraff polycounter lvl 4
Hey folks, I've lurked here for some time but haven't felt very confident showing anything off... until now!

I recently finished a reel of some of my work this year, specifically two of my favorite models. Here's a link to my video on YouTube.

A few pics from the video:

karl-willmann-shot3-0140.jpg?1441316726

karl-willmann-alienthumb.jpg?1441317052

karl-willmann-talosthumb.jpg?1441316889

And lastly, a link to both my alien and robot marmoset viewer files over on my Artstation site. Hope you guys like em, because they're inspired by all of you amazing artists on this site!

Oh and of course, critique is very welcome :)

Replies

• linwail
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    linwail polycounter lvl 5
    I love the robot!
  • dpadam450
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dpadam450 polycounter lvl 12
    I don't like the texture on the robot. It looks kind of like marble on the black parts. Alien looks good.
  • moraff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moraff polycounter lvl 4
    Thanks fellas, yeah I think the marble look you're referring to is me going a bit wild with the edge wear generator in Painter. Might hafta tone it down. I will say something that's been bothering me is how low rez some of the textures look up close. Think I need to upgrade them to 4k?
  • 3dReaper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3dReaper polycounter lvl 4
    Your alien looks the best, however that tail is lacking. The vertebrae on the tail does not appear to fit in properly, it looks out of place. Look at better references.

The robot needs work. Mainly the textures, I see uv distortion, smearing, and a lack of detail. The geo looks rather simple as well, a bit too low res, needs more bevels and detail.

Again, your alien looks quite good, nice material definition.

Definitely use 4k texture sets for all your characters if not multiple maps.
  • moraff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moraff polycounter lvl 4
    3dReaper wrote: »
    Your alien looks the best, however that tail is lacking. The vertebrae on the tail does not appear to fit in properly, it looks out of place. Look at better references.

The robot needs work. Mainly the textures, I see uv distortion, smearing, and a lack of detail. The geo looks rather simple as well, a bit too low res, needs more bevels and detail.

Again, your alien looks quite good, nice material definition.

Definitely use 4k texture sets for all your characters if not multiple maps.

Cool thanks for the feedback! I'll see what I can do about the tail, the vertebrae definitely aren't correct. I was using this reference where the vertebrae kinda 'hug' this central tail thing. Think I need to find a better way to nail that look.3423678-xenomorph.jpg

As for the robot yeah I definitely need to work with UV's more, I haven't really taken the time to sit down and learn how to properly unwrap them in Maya yet (just been using UVMaster in ZBrush mainly).

I'll go in and give him some more bevels and then see what I can do about the textures.