Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Toon Girl Head, got a question

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Cuboids! 64 polycounter lvl 5
Trying to learn/get used to zBrush some, sculpted a head i'm really happy with (shoutouts to hazardous-arts for making that skin material, it's real good), even though I forgot the ears early on and had to add them in later. Right now though i'm not sure how to actually present/render it properly... Is zBrush's own rendering alright or do people usually just go for external stuff? Answers/feedback would be MUCH appreciated!

SJvE2h.png

Replies

• Texelion
    Offline / Send Message
    Texelion polycounter lvl 8
    It's not bad, but doesn't seem finished yet ^^. You should refine the shapes and details to give it a cleaner look, instead of staying with that "dynamesh" look. It will be hard to clean this with a high polycount so what I generally do is use Zremesher to get a "lowpoly", and start smoothing, subdividing and refining from that. You can keep the dynamesh version to project the polypaint later ( zremesher removes the polypaint ).

As for rendering, you can use toolbag 2, it handles highpolys with vertex color quite well. Or you can try the trial of Keyshot maybe.

I suggest adding a bit of chest to make a bust though, just a head floating like this doesn't look really good ^^.
  • Cuboids! 64
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, i'll keep working on it! I'm not sure what you mean by a "dynamesh" look though (i'm kinda new to all this sorry). Is it the strokes in the hair mainly?
  • Tectonic
    Offline / Send Message
    Tectonic polycounter lvl 10
    I think texelion means it looks a little lumpy. It would help to crease some of those edges and grooves. or you can try using the ClayPolish setting. as far as rendering goes, this video gives some good tips
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIRkxlztVn4[/ame]
  • Cuboids! 64
    Offline / Send Message
    So, I gave some of that a try, watched that video once or twice (it was really useful, thanks!) and came up with this! I feel like I sorta moved a little too quick through it but I honestly really like how it came out. Also really like how that signature came out!

tumblr_nu8puacZOe1utom9xo1_1280.jpg
  • FourtyNights
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter
    You could still focus a little bit more on the basic planes of the face, before calling it finished. Even though she's cartoony, anatomy is still important. Especially she has no proper eye sockets or eyelids.

Oh, and a signature is just a signature, nothing else. I never sign my works. I just feel it's silly. But that's just my personal opinion.