TMCOD9w.png
MXxQM32.png
YLGC9oM.png

Replies

• Gelatin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have a few questions:
    how should I bevel this front light area without ruining the smoothness of the model?

X0q00CX.png
    RBPHsY6.png
    NMqJy6X.png
  • Gelatin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • ollitei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You got the basic shape down. The proportions look good and it's easily recognizable as the Veyron so you're off to a good start. What's your goal with this (as in are you modeling it all manually or are you planning to rely on Turbosmooth or similar for more detail)?

It's a bit hard to comment on the geometry without seeing how it all shades. Your poly flow does look uneven and it's likely to cause problems down the road. I'd suggest you try to simplify and straighten your edge loops wherever you can. I wouldn't worry about the details (headlights, tail lights, bumper holes etc.) just yet and personally I wouldn't even model the headlight inset either but instead model them flat as part of the body. Only after the basic silhouette is good and shades without problems I'd get into cutting, extruding and beveling the details and adjusting the topology around them as I go.

And regarding the last pic. I'm not sure which cut you're referring to here. It's a smooth shape in all the photos I looked at just now. This one is a nice reference for that area.
  • Gelatin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ollitei wrote: »
    You got the basic shape down. The proportions look good and it's easily recognizable as the Veyron so you're off to a good start. What's your goal with this (as in are you modeling it all manually or are you planning to rely on Turbosmooth or similar for more detail)?

It's a bit hard to comment on the geometry without seeing how it all shades. Your poly flow does look uneven and it's likely to cause problems down the road. I'd suggest you try to simplify and straighten your edge loops wherever you can. I wouldn't worry about the details (headlights, tail lights, bumper holes etc.) just yet and personally I wouldn't even model the headlight inset either but instead model them flat as part of the body. Only after the basic silhouette is good and shades without problems I'd get into cutting, extruding and beveling the details and adjusting the topology around them as I go.

And regarding the last pic. I'm not sure which cut you're referring to here. It's a smooth shape in all the photos I looked at just now. This one is a nice reference for that area.

Ty for the reply, here is the area I was talking about: (also I need help with beveling the headlight, a question shown in the last post)

nmJpiK8.jpg
    Preview of the smoothed mesh, I did tweak some places before posting this to get a better result, did not save the tweaking though because I will probably do it later again, any areas you see that I should focus attention on? plus, I would really love some reference on the places I showed last post
    zlCCUoF.png

1URcLgv.png
  • Gelatin
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
    asking people to pull reference for you sounds pretty lazy, time to go beyond the first page of google and find it (also try youtube)

as for the bevel by the headlight it all depends if this is going to be a highpoly / lowpoly / game model etc, are you relying on just polygons or you also using normals maps etc

hard to help when we know nothing about the project other then it's a car

oh and posting a few clean shots of the actual car helps too, not everyone wants to open a new tab to find out what the parts you need help with should look like *cough headlight bevel
  • Gelatin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    asking people to pull reference for you sounds pretty lazy, time to go beyond the first page of google and find it (also try youtube)

as for the bevel by the headlight it all depends if this is going to be a highpoly / lowpoly / game model etc, are you relying on just polygons or you also using normals maps etc

hard to help when we know nothing about the project other then it's a car

oh and posting a few clean shots of the actual car helps too, not everyone wants to open a new tab to find out what the parts you need help with should look like *cough headlight bevel

I did try to find reference at youtube and google, did not find, thought people might try to help me, I guess not...
    and I am going highpoly, thats why I am asking how to bevel that part without ruining the smoothness, and here

8dhrPYS.png
  • ollitei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    asking people to pull reference for you sounds pretty lazy

Exactly my thoughts on this to be honest. Here and here is a couple that seem to be good references for the bottom area of the windshield. The internet is flooded with lots of high-quality pictures of the Veyron since it's not really that obscure car model.

And regarding that small panel gap on the rear, I'd try approaching it by something like this. I'd also apply the similar support loops for the headlight as well.
    HigLJcv.jpg
  • woot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    woot polycounter lvl 5
    I'm a little confused as to why you are modelling it all as one object. is that standard procedure for vehicles or is it better to do it piece by piece?

surely doing individual panels makes it easier to sort problems in the geo.

also, are you planning on doing the interior of the car?
  • aharmlesspie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    woot wrote: »
    I'm a little confused as to why you are modelling it all as one object. is that standard procedure for vehicles or is it better to do it piece by piece?

surely doing individual panels makes it easier to sort problems in the geo.

also, are you planning on doing the interior of the car?

For certain objects, like cars, where detail carries over from panel to panel, it's generally helpful to build it as a single shape, up to a certain density, and then cute the panels out of the overall shape.
  • ollitei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For certain objects, like cars, where detail carries over from panel to panel, it's generally helpful to build it as a single shape, up to a certain density, and then cute the panels out of the overall shape.

Exactly this. Which is also why I reckon you shouldn't think about the headlight recess and its beveling yet but instead model the headlight glass as solid geometry and cut it out later when the panel curvature is all set and you move onto detailing the model.