Home Contests & Challenges Archives Chivalry: Medieval Warfare

Royal squad set :)

Hello everybody.
Ehh, im new in 3d and this my first publication in steam workshop.
I like this game and try to do items.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=441222384

Replies

• Lucas Annunziata
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucas Annunziata polycounter lvl 13
    Congrats on your first publication to the workshop! I saw this pop up earlier today. If you make another set of items it may be good to start a thread during your creation process and post work in progress images for some critique along the way.
  • sordelko
    Congrats on your first publication to the workshop! I saw this pop up earlier today. If you make another set of items it may be good to start a thread during your creation process and post work in progress images for some critique along the way.
    Tnx u Lucas :)
  • JO420
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Saw this earlier as well,Hi and welcome to the workshop :)
  • sordelko
    JO420 wrote: »
    Saw this earlier as well,Hi and welcome to the workshop :)
    Hi, tnx)
  • sordelko
    Ohhh, tnx guys,Torn Banner Studios. My item was added =)
    <3
  • sordelko
  • elwebbaro
    Offline / Send Message
    elwebbaro polycounter lvl 4
    Hey there!

Love how the PRB beauty shot turned out, however it looks like the transition to UDK didn't go so well. Here's a few suspicions on what might've went wrong.

It looks like your normals are completely averaged on the ingame mesh, while the one posted above probably has hard edges. Try exporting the normals as they are from your 3D package.

Also check if your Normalmap is flipped on the Y axis, Unreal Engine uses inverted Y.

Tweak your specular/gloss maps and masks to get your reflections closer to the ones shown in the render. A good way of tweaking the reflections is by putting your asset into a bright level, the default UDK level is not a good place to set up your materials. Stoneshill and Ruins have pretty good cubemaps and will help you tweak your metallic surfaces. Once you're satisfied, you can drop it in a few other levels and fine tune if necessary.

Hope you can improve this helmet, because I really like it, and it would be a shame if left at it's current state!
  • sordelko
    elwebbaro wrote: »
    Hey there!

Love how the PRB beauty shot turned out, however it looks like the transition to UDK didn't go so well. Here's a few suspicions on what might've went wrong.

It looks like your normals are completely averaged on the ingame mesh, while the one posted above probably has hard edges. Try exporting the normals as they are from your 3D package.

Also check if your Normalmap is flipped on the Y axis, Unreal Engine uses inverted Y.

Tweak your specular/gloss maps and masks to get your reflections closer to the ones shown in the render. A good way of tweaking the reflections is by putting your asset into a bright level, the default UDK level is not a good place to set up your materials. Stoneshill and Ruins have pretty good cubemaps and will help you tweak your metallic surfaces. Once you're satisfied, you can drop it in a few other levels and fine tune if necessary.

Hope you can improve this helmet, because I really like it, and it would be a shame if left at it's current state!
    Hi!
    Really tnx U for reply, elwebbaro. Yea, i had flipped Y on normal map. Now I did color correction, it was helpful! You were right.
    Tnx!
  • JO420
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    I dont know if its something I just think, but maybe perhaps you should consider only showing actual renders within UDK when presenting your work. As elwebarro pointed out there is a big difference between the beauty shot and the actual in game model. Off course we here at PC know you used a secondary app to make the material look that realistic, but Steam users might not. Lets say you helmet gets chosen and there us a difference between your beauty render and the final in game that it might anger users if they think they paid for something and got something else that looks different.

Like i said,its just my opinion,but Steam users are a knee jerk reactionary mob.
  • sordelko
    I dont know if its something I just think, but maybe perhaps you should consider only showing actual renders within UDK when presenting your work. As elwebarro pointed out there is a big difference between the beauty shot and the actual in game model. Off course we here at PC know you used a secondary app to make the material look that realistic, but Steam users might not. Lets say you helmet gets chosen and there us a difference between your beauty render and the final in game that it might anger users if they think they paid for something and got something else that looks different.

Like i said,its just my opinion,but Steam users are a knee jerk reactionary mob.
    JO420 tnx for reply!
    Yea.You're right. This will be true.
    Now replace the image.
  • JO420
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    sordelko wrote: »
    JO420 tnx for reply!
    Yea.You're right. This will be true.
    Now replace the image.

It wasnt to shoot ya down mate,its a lovely render, but Steam users can be a whiny lot and I would hate to see any of us have to fight off an angry mob. However Chivs material is really robust,so with some work you can hit that look you have.
  • sordelko
    It wasnt to shoot ya down mate,its a lovely render, but Steam users can be a whiny lot and I would hate to see any of us have to fight off an angry mob. However Chivs material is really robust,so with some work you can hit that look you have.
    :) Yes. I listened to what you said, you've got more experience. I think you're right.
  • Zelfit
    Offline / Send Message
    Zelfit polycounter lvl 8
    Hi. I see a lot of problems with normals on UDK render. Looks like normal was rendered with hard edges but model was imported with one smoothing group. Try to bake Object space normal and convert it into UDK tangent normal using Handplane http://www.handplane3d.com/download.html
  • sordelko
    Zelfit wrote: »
    Hi. I see a lot of problems with normals on UDK render. Looks like normal was rendered with hard edges but model was imported with one smoothing group. Try to bake Object space normal and convert it into UDK tangent normal using Handplane http://www.handplane3d.com/download.html
    Thank u Zelfit.
    I tried to do, it seems to be getting better)

You are here is very good, it's cool :)
  • Zelfit
    Offline / Send Message
    Zelfit polycounter lvl 8
    Steam preview looks better now. Did you update it?
  • sordelko
    Zelfit wrote: »
    Steam preview looks better now. Did you update it?
    Yea Zelfit, tnx U :)
    Handplane was helpful.
  • elwebbaro
    Offline / Send Message
    elwebbaro polycounter lvl 4
    Looks so much better, well done!
  • sordelko
    elwebbaro wrote: »
    Looks so much better, well done!
    Thank U:)
  • JO420
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Hey sordelko. Just wanted to tell you,I think your helmet looks really cool. I really like the design ,its really interesting and unique for vanguards. If i can offer two bits of advice, one for future designs and one for this helmet.

1. The first and its am minor thing, is the size of the eye slits. Your helmets slits are a tad on the large side. In battle,an arrow could have flown right in ans killed the guy, so the small the slit is usually better. All the armor designs back then were made to reduce the likely hood of the bearer taking damage or dying. But its a minor thing, no reason to adjust your model because the design is really cool.

2. The details on the armor sort of get lost at the moment. I see a lot of pieces but they sort of get lost. It could really use some sort of contrast to separate the elements a little better. Check out the paint over below i made you to show you how it looks.

20891040568_5731dedac7_b.jpg

and lastly a tad more surface detail could also be cool. i added a bit of slightly off color metal noise to the surface,so it looks a little worn and not a flat tone of gray. The stuff you see in museums is almost spotless,but its because the stuff is meticulously polished and taken care of. But if its a knight that has some sort of fighting under his belt,then it will exhibit some sort of wear.

Aside from that I give your helmet a big thumbs up.
  • sordelko
    Hey sordelko. Just wanted to tell you,I think your helmet looks really cool. I really like the design ,its really interesting and unique for vanguards. If i can offer two bits of advice, one for future designs and one for this helmet.

1. The first and its am minor thing, is the size of the eye slits. Your helmets slits are a tad on the large side. In battle,an arrow could have flown right in ans killed the guy, so the small the slit is usually better. All the armor designs back then were made to reduce the likely hood of the bearer taking damage or dying. But its a minor thing, no reason to adjust your model because the design is really cool.

2. The details on the armor sort of get lost at the moment. I see a lot of pieces but they sort of get lost. It could really use some sort of contrast to separate the elements a little better. Check out the paint over below i made you to show you how it looks.

20891040568_5731dedac7_b.jpg

and lastly a tad more surface detail could also be cool. i added a bit of slightly off color metal noise to the surface,so it looks a little worn and not a flat tone of gray. The stuff you see in museums is almost spotless,but its because the stuff is meticulously polished and taken care of. But if its a knight that has some sort of fighting under his belt,then it will exhibit some sort of wear.

Aside from that I give your helmet a big thumbs up.

Thanks again for your messages, comments useful and fair. You're a cool dude. Now I am traveling, I can not fix. I'll try next time to do better. Thank you.