Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

SA80 British Assault rifle WIP - Too many polygones? C&C Requested!

vertex
Offline / Send Message
IronTarkus vertex
Hey guys,

I have made a SA80 British rifle and I have ran into many problems. I also think that my workflow is incorrect and I need your help to improve. I will include the 3ds max file and the reference if you want to give it a look.

Before I start let take a peek at the model:
f2HTcM9.png

As you can see, its composed of 12 pieces for a total of approximately 9000 triangles. The objective is to animate it and its supposed to be the rifle the player will see in first person view. Thats why I made all the holes instead of using a texture to fake them. I thought it would look at lot better when in first person view and moving the gun around for animations. But because of that the polycount climbed drasticataly. Especially because of the upper part of the handguard which I had to use a "husk".

I used a plane with the main reference on it and also many others pictures included the file bellow. I modelised it all in editable poly.

So before I continu further with ZBRUSH for the other details, the texture and the animation, I have some questions. By the way, If it was to be used in a game, it would be for an audience of hardcore gamer with above average computers on the unreal engine.

So my questions are as follow:

1. Is it too triangle heavy?
  2. If the answer is yes, then how would you go about reducing the polycount?
  3. What are the mistakes you can spot? Also, please tell me what I should of done instead.
  4. How many pieces is considered acceptable for this type of model?
  5. Is it easier for the engines to render an object 2 faced or more triangles?
  6. How many triangles are considered acceptable for this type of model?
  7. How would you go at making the "bolts" coming out of sides of the gun? Would you make them part of the main mesh, make them entirely new object or fake them with normals?
  8. Before exporting it to zbrush, I need to make polygone spacing more uniform, how would go about doing that?

Thanks a lot for the help!

The file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hvc5znqfs8wv7fy/SA80_MB_WIP.rar?dl=0
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Replies