Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Candy Land Archer

Replies

• jhoythottle
    Offline / Send Message
    jhoythottle polycounter lvl 7
    Hey everyone thank you all for the feedback! Thanks Fenn and happybell for picking up the desaturation of the skin. I think the lighting was flattening it a bit. I tried to rosey up his complexion a bit.

happybell, I decided to opt out of the perfectly round cheeks. It didn't translate well in 3D, and frankly I'm not a huge fan of of them in the concept anyway.

I decided to go with Fenn's advice and make it all about the character instead of adding a bunch of extra elements to the environment. I've named the project "Lost in Candy Land" to add backstory for anyone who might be confused about the platform. I wanted to share with you my final presentation before I publish for the world on my social media sites.

I'M DONE!

BQLrEWw.jpg

wbdJqaf.jpg

fBe7lvL.jpg

bwSUtAD.png
  • Crazy_pixel
    Offline / Send Message
    Crazy_pixel interpolator
    Cool Project, I like the Pixar style of the character :D

The colours of the character would be my only critique, he can wear striped clothes, or you can give him candies as assesoirs.

Can't wait to see further progress.
    Keep it up! :)
  • beesonmann
    Offline / Send Message
    beesonmann polycounter lvl 10
    tumblr_n3n5p6ePBB1rsxqqio1_500.gif

Looks awesome dude! Love the subtleties!

My only critique is with the pose. I would maybe flip his bow to be curving the other way? Like the string would be under his arm. I think it would make him look more ready.
  • -lychee-
    I love this project so much :) It looks great!

The only thing I would rework is the elbow of his right arm. It looks very rounded right now...
    I know that this is a difficult part anyway but maybe you can just pull out some verts or really change the skinning?
  • jhoythottle
    Offline / Send Message
    Crazy_pixel: Thank you. Saying the word Pixar in the same sentence as describing my character is a huge compliment. The Disney/Pixar style is exactly what I was going for. I like the stripes idea. Not sure how I would implement it but it could create a easier connection point for his environment. In the concepts by Melissa Manwill, there is a "Mr. Mint" character who lives in the Peppermint Woods. My character is more of a fish out of water. Think Dorthy in The Wizard of Oz.

beesonmann: Thanks for sticking through to the end! I like your idea of flipping the bow around since I can better show off the design on the wood as well as making him look more ready. I was simply stealing the pose from the concept, but I don't think it would hurt to add more to it. I also got another critique from a friend that the bow looks a little too small. Maybe I'll scale it up just a bit.

-lychee-: Thanks! Yeah... unfortunately I'm not great at skinning/rigging. I usually use a biped and it's my least favorite part of the process. I'll probably just move the verts to make a more believable elbow. I see exactly what you mean and now I won't be able to rest until I fix it. It was also mentioned that there aren't any wrinkles around the bend in his elbow, and I sort of agree. Right now it looks like someone folded a hotdog.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!
  • Fenn
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenn polycounter lvl 3
    Solid work man. I am so happy to see this finished. It is impressive. I think beesonmann and lychee's comments are spot on. The tweaks to the bow you mention will improve the read of the character.
    Regarding the elbow. One thing to consider as well is gravity. Think about how that poofy material might weigh down a bit in that pose. That will help it feel a little more 'real' as well.
    Again solid work.
  • jhoythottle
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah! Good point Fenn! Look at that straight light in the negative space going from his wrist to his elbow. Gravity would give that more of a curve. Thanks for mentioning that. When I get some more time in the next few days, I'll be sure to make these updates.