Home Marmoset

16bit textures

zep
zep
Noob question here:

What's the proper texture setup in Marmoset when working on 16bit textures for accurate visualization? Some maps look good with sRGB color space turned on and some don't.

Normals and glossiness maps look weird in sRGB.

Should I turn sRGB on for diffuse only? Or maybe diffuse and spec?

Btw I'm using DDO for texturing.

Thanks

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Normal maps should always be linear (sRGB off).

Gloss maps are typically linear as well but it doesn't matter so much there. If you're loading your gloss map in your target engine as linear it should be linear in Toolbag as well, and same for all other maps.

Diffuse and specular are typically gamma space (sRGB on).
  • zep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zep
    Thats what I thought.

Thanks EarthQuake! :)
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Just to clarify as well, whether an image is 8 or 16-bit is irrelevant for knowing whether something should be sRGB or not - sRGB is a colour space (how the values of the colours are interpreted), and 8/16/32 or whatever is a bit depth (the precision of the color values).
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That is correct, however, depending on bit-depth the color space in Toolbag will have different defaults. 8 bit albedo and specular maps will load as sRGB, while 16 and 32 will load as linear (and previous to 2.08 we did not support sRGB with 16/32 bit files).

Normal maps, and I think gloss and metalness maps will always load as linear.