Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Bullpup Assault Rifle (Image Heavy)

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Trevor polycounter lvl 4
Hello All,
This gun design has been in the back of my mind for sometime now. I have done a few small weapons with only a couple being decent enough for presentation but not something like this. So far this weapon is nurturing alot of growth in my high poly hard surface modeling skills. The gun is modeled in 3DS Max and rendered in Mental Ray. The final product will be a game version rendered in Marmoset or UE4 (havent decided). Right now all my effort is focused on a clean high poly.
This weapon is initially based off the Famas-G2 and the Croatian VHS-2 Assault Rifle. The sight is based off the Eotech XPS2 Holo. I am playing with the idea of an Assault rifle/DMR Hybrid with interchangeable parts and a Magazine adapter so the weapon can adapt to different calibers of bullets when out in the field for extended durations. The magazine adapter has already been modeled.

I wanted to ground the weapon in the real world before branching out and adding scifi elements to it. Now that the weapon has its shape and im a bit more enlightened as to how guns work, Im putting this up for C&C, any and all of it being much appreciated. The goal is to create and awesome portfolio piece and learn as much as I can while doing so. Ill post updates as often as I can.

V2bMWkk.png
u9uk14x.png
tPPdx5s.png
PCRrivR.png
NPWyNAa.png
8SBZfdp.png

Reference
2eQRHqC.jpg

Replies

• Gazu
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
    Looks cool but something is telling me that the Weapon is maybe a bit to thin? -> 3. Picture.
  • PrimePriest
    Offline / Send Message
    PrimePriest polycounter lvl 3
    The scale of Eotech scope is wrong...unless the gun is absolutely gigantic.

Here's what it looks like on various guns
    eotechl3.jpg
    IWI_Tavor__EOTech.jpg
    2mqrul0.jpg
  • Trevor
    Offline / Send Message
    Trevor polycounter lvl 4
    Update.

Thanks PrimePriest for the additional reference images.
    Went back and adjusted the size of the Holo. I agree the gun itself could use some more thickness. I decided to change the form of the guns rail. I made it more like the VHS-2 and Im really happy with how it turned out. The change pushes the silhouette more and helps to distinguish it at a distance. Other things added or changed include the guns barrel, gas mechanism, plating on the stock, and a stock cushion. I am going to add some more shape variation to the flat portions on the weapon before all is said and done.

3t58J62.jpg
  • Kaine123
    Offline / Send Message
    Kaine123 polycounter lvl 10
    I can't quite tell how wide the magazine is. Could you post some pics of the magazine at better angles? It's pretty common to see magazines that are too thin on 3d model so you wanna avoid that. Understand how large the cartridges are that the rifle is firing, and try to fit at least 20 into the magazine (double stacked.)
  • Dethling
    Offline / Send Message
    Dethling polycounter lvl 11
    The barrel looks a little thin at the front.
    Otherwise: Nice work!

small tip: Something I did for my first weapon model was to model the bullets first (with absolute accurate sizes).
    Based on this I get the correct size of the barrel, muzzle, chamber and magazin and then I can build the rifle around it.
  • Trevor
    Offline / Send Message
    Trevor polycounter lvl 4
    Thank you Kaine123 and Dethling for making me go back and re examine the bullet and mag proportions they were indeed off and the magazine and barrel were too small. Here are the updated shots.

Magazine
    RkifDUz.jpg

Barrel to bullet comparison
    y0wzE5x.jpg

Current bullet and gun comparison
    Fx8l656.jpg

after changing that I made some realizations about the overall gun size. The bullet next to the gun makes the gun look too big like the holo did. ill upscale the bullet since I didn't model the weapon using any specific units setup. The gun model was sketched up in photoshop and I eye balled its size when compared to other common firearms. Probably a mistake in hindsight.
  • remotecrab131
    Offline / Send Message
    remotecrab131 polycounter lvl 9
    I don't want to comment on the bullet, it's probably not important. :P (doesn't have material yet, so meh... but the bullet shell can be thicker on the pointy side)

The weapon could use more unique details other than block of generic shapes. Get some mechanical stencils and z-add on it. (Oh, not zbrush?)

btw I think the size and scale only matters if you are making it for very closed or hands-on viewing distance. (for FPS) or realistic-mimicking purpose.

Don't let it disturb your working fluidity. Scale is something you can always fix before rigging and animation. (even a rigged model can be scaled easily as long as you know what has to be done)
  • Kaine123
    Offline / Send Message
    Kaine123 polycounter lvl 10
    The feed lips on the mag need to be bent further inwards in order to hold those cartridges inside the magazine under spring pressure. Otherwise they would fly out.
  • Trevor
    Offline / Send Message
    Trevor polycounter lvl 4
    Been a while but I havent forgotten about this project, just occupied with important business at the moment. Im working on this whenever I get the chance.
    I shortened the stock and did away with the bridge between the stock and the bottom of the handle. I think it adds more to the silhouette. Added a few other bevels and holes in areas that are hopefully reasonable. Got rid of the generic shapes but I decided to leave the forms below the ejection mechanism. im thinking about making the shapes manifold to the stock instead of a piece of metal screwed on to the stock. I turned the hump between the rail and the cheek rest into a statistics screen for shot counts and other misc info. C&C welcome as always.

4XJ5JkC.jpg
    GSbHPkb.jpg
    Vp0UWkH.jpg
  • Cnc96
    Offline / Send Message
    Cnc96 polycounter lvl 4
    Shinigami wrote: »
    whats the name of the first rigle

The first weapon looks like a TAVOR 21, or otherwise known as the TAR-21 from CoD MW2
  • Dethling
    Offline / Send Message
    Dethling polycounter lvl 11
    Really nice progress.
    The rifle got it'S on unique character now, keep it going!
  • snoop
    Offline / Send Message
    snoop polycounter lvl 7
    I like the rifle a lot, but the fact it lacks a trigger guard just screams at me. I could mention a lot of good about the rifle too, but it's already been said. I just can't get past how easy it would be to have a negligent discharge with that thing.
  • JoshWilkinson
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshWilkinson polycounter lvl 9
    Cnc96 wrote: »
    Shinigami wrote: »
    whats the name of the first rigle
    The first weapon looks like a TAVOR 21, or otherwise known as the TAR-21 from CoD MW2

First rifle's an AR-15. Everybody in the world makes some variant of it.

Second's the TAR-21 ;)