Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Destiny the devil you know

Great_OZ
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Great_OZ polycounter lvl 7
Hey
i have tried to model the devil you know hand cannon from destiny.
it is my first model made without a tut. so i hope you guys like it and will come with some critics. thx

JFh9C95.png
The Highpoly model of the gun around 3milion poly

0oMAaTV.png
Lowpoly model with wireframes. i found out later that the lowpoly was'nt optimal because of some baking errors but I didnt know how to change it withour starting all over with evrything

57yFFaF.png
A pic of Dif, Norm and spec maps

This is what i ended up with.
SsgxZar.png
oEWorin.png
puYlXhs.png
J4Qq47t.pngP0donDt.png
i'm pretty happy with the result. :)

Replies

• gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not too shabby. The material response is pretty nice. I'm surprised at a few of your choices for geo denstiy. You went so far as to model in the little rivets on the hammer, but the insets on the cylinder are quite low and don't look so hot in an fps view.

Also the shading on the grip looks rough, especially from the side-shot. The highlight really calls attention to the jagged geometry. You also seem to have a handful of loops that don't add to the silhouette as well.

I find it odd that the barrel doesn't have any of the holes in the cylinder for bullets on either side. How the heck does this thing actually work? I see that this seems to be the actual design of the weapon in Destiny, just seems like a strange non-functional design.

Also, you should try to use a lighter grey background for this guy. The black on black is a little tricky to look at!
  • 3dReaper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3dReaper polycounter lvl 4
    Turned out great but why didn't you use PBR texturing?
  • Abrvpt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Abrvpt polycounter lvl 4
    Looks good ! I agree with gsokol, the materials are great, the whole modeling is nice but the barrel is really worth redoing (not sure about my english there). For me the most shocking part in terms of geo density is the end of the ridges of the barrel. Only 2 segments ! On certain views the normal maps does the trick but on most ones it really doesn't work.
    And bullets holes for the barrel would be also nice. =)
  • Great_OZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the criticism guys. :)
    Gsokol yea the lowpoly is'nt the best, and i have intented to redo the inserts on the cylinder to give it a more nice and rounded look, but at this point i dont know have to just redo one part of the model without doing everything all over. do you have an advise on how the workflow would be to do that? :)
    about the holes in the cylinder for the barrel. the concept did not have anyholes
    IiprCCI.png
    but i agree with you it look kinda odd without the holes. i intent make some holes for it aswell.
    Would this background be better in your opinion?
    Qq0NNng.png

3dReaper. i'm not familier with PBR texturing. the maps i got is the following: Albedo, AO, Gloss, normal and specular maps, Im working with dDo2 witch got info from Quixel's megascan and that should give correct materials? or what did you mean?

Abrvpt. do you mean the cylinder i worth redoing because i don't know what should be different with the barrel. :) i think i might make some bullet holes for the cylinder :)
  • Great_OZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here i got the same pic same settings but with 5 different lightnings
    dHp5rYS.png9MKRdFD.pngCoets8h.pngzubKwsa.png
    362jONn.png
  • remotecrab131
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    remotecrab131 polycounter lvl 9
    The first lighting setup definitely made it look awesome. The exposed dark metal parts still look "not so light", very heavy. And the entire gun, according the in game screenshot, should be slimmer. The high-poly model is probably lacking something.

Everything else then is probably critiquing the original design of the original weapon in game.

I mean really.. I just noticed the cylinders doesn't have a single hole on it. It proves that when it's a game, people care more about gameplay instead of graphical consistency.