Home General Discussion

I'd like to apply for the Concept Artist position but i don't have experience...

I'd like to apply for the Concept Artist position but i don't have experience... :(

I don't mean i've the talent and the world class portfolio that Creative Assembly looks for (i visited so many times the CA jobs page in these months that i've almost learned it by heart now :( ) . I applied months ago when CA was looking for a Concept Artist and i tried to improve from that time. I must improve a lot yet but the point is that one can improve his skills by his own with self motivation, studying, hard work etc
But one can't improve his experience by his own if only professional experience is considered, it's a Catch 22 situation : i can't apply nowhere without experience but this way i will never make the necessary experience... :(

Do you have any suggestion about this situation, Marks? :'( (sorry for the long post and thanks a lot if you read it!)

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LucaMaria, I moved your post from the Work section to General Discussion, because this is off-topic to the original thread. Also you'll get more responses here.

Some good advice on this subject here:
    http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Game_Industry#How_to_Get_In
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    LucaMaria wrote: »
    I don't mean i've the talent and the world class portfolio that Creative Assembly looks for

Looks like you answered your own question.

It's not the experience, it's the portfolio. Concept art is extremely competitive. I'd say once you start trending / getting recaps with your art, you're closer to a job regardless of experience.

We just hired someone with 0 experience over applicants with experience (some over 8 years).
  • Popol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popol interpolator
  • DireWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What you should do is pick up your pencil/tablet/whatever and start painting until you have that "the world class portfolio"

Hard work man. It's all about the hours you put in. My concept painter friend, he paints all day. All. Day.
  • LucaMaria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LucaMaria, I moved your post from the Work section to General Discussion, because this is off-topic to the original thread. Also you'll get more responses here.

Some good advice on this subject here:
    http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Game_Industry#How_to_Get_In

That's fine Eric, thanks. :) I posted there because I was asking an advice to Marcs about applying to Creative Assembly, but any advice will help me a lot! :)
    Popol wrote: »
    beefaroni wrote: »
    Looks like you answered your own question.

It's not the experience, it's the portfolio. Concept art is extremely competitive. I'd say once you start trending / getting recaps with your art, you're closer to a job regardless of experience.

We just hired someone with 0 experience over applicants with experience (some over 8 years).
    DireWolf wrote: »
    What you should do is pick up your pencil/tablet/whatever and start painting until you have that "the world class portfolio"

Hard work man. It's all about the hours you put in. My concept painter friend, he paints all day. All. Day.

Thanks to you all for your suggestions! :) The articles you linked to will be useful and any kind of support/advice/whatever is always welcome!

I'm totally fine with being rejected on the base of talent, artistic skills, originality and so on. I do know that is plenty of better artists out there, that's why i try to improve.

And i'm totally fine with asking for experience for a senior position. That's why it's called "senior". I never apply to them, i know my place. But when experience is asked as a required element (and not as a potential bonus. I'm not stupid, i do understand that experience+talent= BOOM. :) ) also for what could be even a junior/entry level position, i find it a bit strange and i don't know that to do.

So, what do you suggest me to do ? to give it a try even if i lack some experience? :\
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    But when experience is asked as a required element (and not as a potential bonus. I'm not stupid, i do understand that experience+talent= BOOM. ) also for what could be even a junior/entry level position, i find it a bit strange and i don't know that to do.

In this case "experience" is just a politically correct way for the recruiter to mean "skills".
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 19
    No one has experience when they're starting out.

Just apply even if you don't meet any of the criteria. You'll probably get ignored, but maybe they'll look at your stuff and want to hire you. Just be persistent, keep knocking on that door, work on your skills and you'll get in.
  • LucaMaria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior wrote: »
    In this case "experience" is just a politically correct way for the recruiter to mean "skills".

For many of the job offers i've read, you are right Pior. I was talking about when they ask - at any level, not only for senior or lead positions - for a great portfolio + experience in the industry (games or films) and some title shipped yet , an AAA title if possible (and since everything is labelled AAA now, i take it as "a game from a medium/big studio, no matter how the game sucked actually").

To be honest, i've found many job offers, even from nice companies, not asking for experience as a mandatory element and i'm going to apply to them. Mine was not a complaint in general, i was simply asking to Marks an advice about Creative Assembly...let's say, to have more or less an idea of how important they consider experience! :)
  • LucaMaria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar wrote: »
    No one has experience when they're starting out.

Just apply even if you don't meet any of the criteria. You'll probably get ignored, but maybe they'll look at your stuff and want to hire you. Just be persistent, keep knocking on that door, work on your skills and you'll get in.

Thanks Rawkstar! I know it's the best thing to do , but i'm the kind of person that hates to bother people... XD I'll try, anyway, let's hope i'll knock at the right door soon or later! :)
  • Odow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    Like they said, concept artist is an extremely competitive job, to get in you can't stop at having a junior level entry, you need to have a late intermediate folio. concept artist at my job draw every minute of their life, even during break or at home they draw on their own stuff. You also need to show you can DRAW everything, do as much as quick silhouette or beautiful polish.

You didn't show us your folio but from your concept for the riot contest you're not there yet at all, you lack a lot of basic skill that you need to mastered to be employ as a concept artist, I would suggest NOT sending folio, and working way more, else you may end up in trash pile and it might be hard to get out.
  • LucaMaria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow wrote: »
    Like they said, concept artist is an extremely competitive job, to get in you can't stop at having a junior level entry, you need to have a late intermediate folio. concept artist at my job draw every minute of their life, even during break or at home they draw on their own stuff. You also need to show you can DRAW everything, do as much as quick silhouette or beautiful polish.

You didn't show us your folio but from your concept for the riot contest you're not there yet at all, you lack a lot of basic skill that you need to mastered to be employ as a concept artist, I would suggest NOT sending folio, and working way more, else you may end up in trash pile and it might be hard to get out.

Well, it's getting a little OT now, it started simply as a question to Marks about Creative Assembly way to consider experience, i know by myself that i need to improve and that i'm not at the level they look for! :)

Anyway, thanks for your suggestion Odow, even if i couldn't even remember the drawings i did for that contest existed... :D That was...uh...december? november? ages ago! :)

About my porftolio, it's a nice idea to show you all my drawings and having some advice, i was simply waiting to finish updating it, i've got a lot of new drawings to add to it that need to be completed!
    But anyway, here it is my half done portfolio:

http://www.lucamaria-artworks.com/

Any critic will be appreciated! :)
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    Just in case you haven't applied yet there is a 1 year paid "Design Traineeship" position at CA.

Your 2 requirements:
    Strong collaborative and interpersonal abilities
    An eye for detail and a passion for making quality products

As a console Design trainee, you will develop your design skills on Halo Wars, with the opportunity to gain insight on content from beginning to completion.

The traineeship will run between August 2015 and August 2016, onsite at our studio in Horsham, West Sussex. All traineeship offers will be confirmed by July 2015

Not an artist position per se but I think the practical experiences you'll get out of it will help you in your quest for your dream role. Assuming they choose you.
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    I wish you all the best on your quest,

You could try Daily Spit Paint every day, I work with a guy and during his lunch break he sits down, reads that days rules, eats his sandwich, has a drink, picks up his wacom, stands up, stretches his fingers, gets a bit of fresh air "he is french" comes back and bang! nails it in 25 - 30 minutes! but then he says it does come naturally after 20 years experience of doing it ever day for 8 hours or more.:)

Also I love this thread - http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php/870-Journey-of-an-Absolute-Rookie-Paintings-and-Sketches?

I see students go in search of this goal, its not an easy path but I always admire their tenacity and the way they improve from daily practice, life drawing, location drawing, following the simple hard rules, posting on forums and being self critical.
  • LucaMaria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar wrote: »
    Just in case you haven't applied yet there is a 1 year paid "Design Traineeship" position at CA.

Not an artist position per se but I think the practical experiences you'll get out of it will help you in your quest for your dream role. Assuming they choose you.

Thanks a lot MagicSugar, you've been very kind! :) i considered the traineeship positions but they are done with Creative Skillset UK and i have not the requirements to join their projects! but thanks as well! :)
    I wish you all the best

You could try Daily Spit Paint every day, I work with a guy and during his lunch break he sits down, reads that days rules, eats his sandwich, has a drink, picks up his wacom stands up, gets a bit of fresh air "he is french" comes back and bang! nails it in 25 - 30 minutes! but then he says it does come naturally after 20 years experience of doing it ever day for 8 hours or more.:)

Also I love this thread - http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php/870-Journey-of-an-Absolute-Rookie-Paintings-and-Sketches?

Thanks LittleClaude! you are very kind! :) i know that speedpaintings help a lot and the more you exercise the better you get...i'll keep exercising and let's hope i'll get good enough, soon or later, to avoid the experience problem. :)
  • DireWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LucaMaria wrote: »
    But when experience is asked as a required element (and not as a potential bonus. I'm not stupid, i do understand that experience+talent= BOOM. :) ) also for what could be even a junior/entry level position, i find it a bit strange and i don't know that to do.

So, what do you suggest me to do ? to give it a try even if i lack some experience? :\

When they write "experience" it doesn't mean anything. If they like your work, they'll hire you. It's as simple as that.

So I'll repeat - pick up your pencil/tablet and start drawing+painting.

I'll give you another advise as well - stay away from job postings and just focus on painting.
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DireWolf wrote: »
    When they write "experience" it doesn't mean anything. If they like your work, they'll hire you. It's as simple as that.

I don't think it's that simple.

You can do the art but can you take critiqes and directions? Can you clearly explain to other artists your intentions in your work and why they have to edit their own work if they used your concept but didn't completely follow what you were going for.

How does one image from your portfolio indicate how fast or how slow your are. How much volume of designs can you do?

If you have listed pertinent work experience in your application it would ideally suggest you have worked with others, worked under a demanding schedule, worked under pressure besides knowing your stuff for the level you claim you're at. Sure you could sweet talk yourself during the interview but if you're not ready for the role and fail to meet employer expectations you might be exposed during your probation period.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    *If they like your work, you'll have an interview.
  • DireWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't think it's that simple.

You can do the art but can you take critiqes and directions? Can you clearly explain to other artists your intentions in your work and why they have to edit their own work if they used your concept but didn't completely follow what you were going for.

How does one image from your portfolio indicate how fast or how slow your are. How much volume of designs can you do?

What Im saying was that you first need the skill above all else. The OP did say it himself about his skill.

Being abpe to take critique is important yes but its not relevant to the OP situation.

Train. And trqin, and train some more. That's the only way the OP will overcome this doubt hes having, and become confident.
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    I had a look at your work here as there is no link to a folio and I think you have a long way to go before getting any position as a concept artist. You need a body of work and then you need to promote it.
  • LucaMaria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @MagicSugar and DireWolf : Thanks for your suggestions! i think the truth is in the middle, i can understand why they ask for experience (the reasons MagicSugar said in his posts) but i also think that in general the more you improve your artistic skill the less the experience thing gets secondary!

@ZacD : let's hope so, one day XD

@Kanga : here it is: http://www.lucamaria-artworks.com/ As i wrote some posts ago, i'm uptading all of it , so it's a half portfolio actually, but at least it's more updated of that thing i did for the Riot contest :poly136:
  • LucaMaria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Now the website should appear in the signature... :)

As i wrote, it's half full since i'm uptating it (i'm finishing another drawing even now :D ) but at least it's more recent than the Riot contest one (that i have to cancel to avoid confusion... :D )

Critics and comments are welcome!
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    Just keep on shuffling, ever day and don't stop!

yo58P2d.jpg
  • LucaMaria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just keep on shuffling, ever day and don't stop!

Thanks LittleClaude, i appreciated it! If i had 1% of the talent of the King i'd have no problems...but they were other times.

I know i'm too old for an entry position and perhaps i'll give up. Or with a little luck i'll knock at the right door before giving up, but i believe it less and less every day. We'll see.

Anyway, this all started as a simple question to Marks about Creative Assembly approach, it became something totally different.. XD
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That Jack Kirby graphic is misleading, as if to suggest he only became an artist in his 40s. When in fact he started being pro when he was 19. Created Captain America with writer Joe Simon when he was 24.

He was pretty accomplished and experienced as an artist long before he reached his 40s.
  • LucaMaria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That Jack Kirby graphic is misleading, as if to suggest he only became an artist in his 40s. When in fact he started being pro when he was 19. Created Captain America with writer Joe Simon when he was 24.

He was pretty accomplished and experienced as an artist long before he reached his 40s.

Eh eh, you are right of course, but i think it refers to the Silver Age comics with Stan Lee, not to the beginning of his career!
  • Marshkin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marshkin polycounter lvl 9
    Hey Luca,
    Looking at your portfolio, two things jump out at me.

First of all;
    You don't have a lot of content on there, and what you do have is scattered across several sub sections. What do you want to specialize in? Characters? Props? Environment? Pick one and really take some time to push yourself in that direction. As was mentioned above, Experience is as much proven skill (via your exmaples on your website) as actual employment experience when it comes to applying. Yes, real work experience counts for more, but so does a page of high quality work.

Second, your work is very... loose. I noticed that almost all of your pieces lack hard definition lines. Coming from someone who looks at concept art for modeling reference, sharpness on key features really is what catches my eye. ie; Look at After the Shipwreck. Everthing is equally blurry. With your Red Crested Bdzonk, same thing.

You have a lot of talent ;) You just need to keep pushing that portfolio! Good luck!
  • LucaMaria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marshkin wrote: »
    Hey Luca,
    Looking at your portfolio, two things jump out at me.

First of all;
    You don't have a lot of content on there, and what you do have is scattered across several sub sections. What do you want to specialize in? Characters? Props? Environment? Pick one and really take some time to push yourself in that direction. As was mentioned above, Experience is as much proven skill (via your exmaples on your website) as actual employment experience when it comes to applying. Yes, real work experience counts for more, but so does a page of high quality work.

Second, your work is very... loose. I noticed that almost all of your pieces lack hard definition lines. Coming from someone who looks at concept art for modeling reference, sharpness on key features really is what catches my eye. ie; Look at After the Shipwreck. Everthing is equally blurry. With your Red Crested Bdzonk, same thing.

You have a lot of talent ;) You just need to keep pushing that portfolio! Good luck!

Thanks a lot, you've been really kind! :D That's the kind of help i really need. :poly136: You are right on everything, apart on the talent thing XD i don't think i've some talent but knowing that i always try to learn and improve a little every day! :poly136: But thanks as well for your kindness!

You found the site a bit empty because yesterday I decided to cancel the majority of things and rebuild the portfolio from (almost) zero, leaving just something (but i think i'll end removing also the ones i left) . At least, talking with you all here lead to this positive decision! :)

About the blurriness, that's one of my main problems, i know that. I think it's because i don't use a lot of opaque brushes, apart from the initial blockin in, i always fall in the trap of believing that the opaque-controlled ones are more easy to manage - while they only lead to an over worked/blurred look, of course. In the drawings i'm doing now I'm forcing myself to use more opaque brushes and preserve hard edges where they are needed...hoping to find where it is :D ah ah!

Let's hope the new drawings will look better! :) thanks again! :)