Home General Discussion

Autodesk Games Engine - Stingray

Replies

• radiancef0rge
    Offline / Send Message
    radiancef0rge ngon master
    Fingus wrote: »
    If it's the bitsquid engine I've gone from skeptical to cautiously optimistic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yU6lkhjcOp4

stingray is built on/around the bitsquid engine yes
  • littleclaude
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    Stingray - Autodesk Games Engine

The architectural visualization industry might enjoy this tool, also for showreel's it could prove to be useful due the easy animation set up.

Does anyone know the systems this is going to export too? and how the various pipeline set ups will come into action?

Maybe the strange console generation might grow demand for a tool like this, what I mean is the 360 and PS3 still proving popular for developers.

New video
    [vv]134982672[/vv]
  • Bellsey
    Offline / Send Message
    Bellsey polycounter lvl 8
    It supports all the main ones, PS4, Xbox One, Android, iOS, Windows.
    You can compile stuff very quickly.
  • littleclaude
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    I have some questions.

Is it free for Education?

Whats the licence fee/bundle deal for pros?

Is "Beast" used for the lighting system?

Are there any Landscape tools in the near future?

This could be great for film pre viz, that will bring Games and Films ever closer.
  • Bellsey
    Offline / Send Message
    These are really questions for Autodesk, though I would assume as Beast is mentioned and listed, that's the lighting system being used.

As for fee and bundles, there looks like one set of pricing, per user, per month. Go longer for quartely and annual and it might be slightly cheaper, as is often the case with those types of options.
  • shaderfx
    Offline / Send Message
    shaderfx polycounter lvl 9
    I have some questions.

Is it free for Education?

Whats the licence fee/bundle deal for pros?

Is "Beast" used for the lighting system?

Are there any Landscape tools in the near future?

This could be great for film pre viz, that will bring Games and Films ever closer.

Free for education
    License: $30 a month, no royalties, for everyone.
    Beast is used for baked lighting (atm)
    There are already landscape tools, but still a bit WIP.
    (terrain painting, under growth etc is there, but needs some polish)
  • littleclaude
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    Cool, thank you, I really look forward to playing around with the tools.
  • Spiffy
    Offline / Send Message
    Spiffy polycounter lvl 12
    Makes me think

Is it possible for someone to create a standard where you can place lights and materials, set up file systems and do everything you need to do in your modeling package and then export/save it to a file where engines can universally read it? obviously the results would not be perfect.
    As far as I can tell the closest thing we have to this is FBX or Unity's .Blend integration.

If Unity and UE4 did this well it would pretty much make this obsolete other than the visual scripting and some of the other tools like motion builder.

regardless of whether or not this gets used it will be interesting to see if Autodesk improves their pipeline to other engines.
  • heavymetalfox
    Offline / Send Message
    heavymetalfox polycounter lvl 4
    It's cool to have the cameras and shaders synched.
    But the big fundamental question is: are the modeling synched. That's one of teh biggest problems game studios have.

If you export a model from Maya to StingRay, then move it in StingRay, will the model location be updated in Maya (at least for static objects)? if yes than that's revolutionary. If not then it's not even worth leaving Unity/Unreal for Stingray.
  • JasonLavoie
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    This is a good idea for Autodesk.

By doing this they learn more about pipelines, and that will improve Max/Maya/Motionbuilder for game production no matter what engine the asset is destined for.

Rick nailed it imo, I'm interested to see what comes from this :poly142:
  • littleclaude
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    Can someone from Autodesk do alive stream? I would love to see it action and maybe ask some questions while its running?

I think its looking great for a product that is straight off the bat.:thumbup:
  • Bellsey
    Offline / Send Message
    Can someone from Autodesk do alive stream? I would love to see it action and maybe ask some questions while its running?

I think its looking great for a product that is straight off the bat.:thumbup:

That would be great, but honestly have Autodesk ever done anything like that in past, ala Twitch, google hangout etc? Can't see that happening.
    Would be great though.
  • haiddasalami
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Bellsey wrote: »
    That would be great, but honestly have Autodesk ever done anything like that in past, ala Twitch, google hangout etc? Can't see that happening.
    Would be great though.

When they introduced Nitrous re-work or initial idea I think but was a livemeeting thing that you had to reserve etc etc.
  • iadagraca
    Offline / Send Message
    iadagraca polycounter lvl 5
    Bellsey wrote: »
    Would be great though.

Yeah i've seen live streams for things like shader coding in Maya LT.

There's a few people that do it, it was a while ago when i watched it though. .
  • Gooner442
    Offline / Send Message
    Gooner442 polycounter lvl 6
    Isn't today the release date? - can't find anymore info on Autodesks website
  • BaconDinosaur
    Offline / Send Message
    BaconDinosaur polycounter lvl 6
    Download:
    http://www.autodesk.com/products/stingray/free-trial

Documentation:
    http://help.autodesk.com/view/Stingray/ENU/

I've tried it. It's ok and all, but it doesn't really stand out in any way compared to UE4 or Unity, so I can't see them succeeding regarding games. ArchViz might work out for them tho.
  • agrant3d
    Offline / Send Message
    agrant3d polycounter lvl 4
    Paul Kind has been twitching while working on Stingray: