Home Adobe Substance

[Unity] Export Bitmap on Substances Not Exporting Alpha Channels

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Bartalon polycounter lvl 12
Due to software limitations on the current version of Unity's PS4 builds, we can't use Substances in place of materials, nor can we reference the Substance's generated textures using a Standard material,

The last resort for us is to use the Export Bitmap feature that all the Substances have, however the alpha channels for the metallic or specular maps are not included with the export. They are all solid white in Photoshop, and Unity does not recognize the exported textures as having an alpha channel.

Is this a known bug or am I doing something wrong? I have the format for each Substance set to "Compressed" I also tried the "RAW" format with the same results.

Also for the Metallic texture channel, I have Smoothness (A) selected.

Any help would be great, thanks!

Replies

• Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    If you set your substances Load Behavior in Unity to "Bake and Discard", you should be able to build for PS4 without touching your materials. Doesn't this work?
  • Bartalon
    Offline / Send Message
    Bartalon polycounter lvl 12
    We have tried that setting and all the others as well and it does not work on our PS4 builds. Another person on my team has been chatting with your support on the matter, I think we have to wait for Unity 5.2 before it will work (we are on 5.1.2p1).

However, we don't have the luxury to wait for that so we're trying to just bake them out and plug all the TGA files into Standard materials.

Additionally, we are working with a pretty large volume of models with a lot of material IDs and there is a bottleneck between Maya and Unity when it comes to setting the models back up to use Substances. The model settings for materials don't seem to identify that Substances are materials and fail to assign the correct material when imported. This results in us having to spend some time reassigning up to a dozen Substances per model, which is another reason why we're leaning toward baking out bitmaps or everything.

But as for the exported bitmaps, is there a solution to the missing alpha channels?

If you are looking for more specific information, feel free to PM me.

Thanks Jerc!
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Sent you a PM.
  • dzibarik
    Offline / Send Message
    dzibarik polycounter lvl 10
    hey, any solution on alpha channels? I've bumped into this too.