Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Draenei-inspired handpainted swords

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
pixelb greentooth
Hey polycounters! I made these swords a few months ago based on some concepts by my coworker, St

Replies

• Azaraen
    Offline / Send Message
    Azaraen polycounter lvl 10
    Love the design on the crystal sword! And the redesign on the wide sword looks better! But the curved part of the hilt looks out of place. Looks flimsy and not as interesting as the rest of the sword. Possibly adding some secondary details like, wrappings, dangly bits, or some kind of form breaking detail. Your painting skills is really good!
  • Lukitscherie
    Offline / Send Message
    Lukitscherie polycounter lvl 8
    Oh wow I thought the middle swords in the first 2 pictures were 2D and I didn't understand why there was twice the concepts and a paintover on them.

I like the paintover for the 2nd sword, other than that I don't have much crit sorry :p Love the gold and cristal rendering and the colors.
  • YakZSmelk
    Offline / Send Message
    YakZSmelk polycounter lvl 11
    These both look great!

My only critique for your next stylized weapons would be to push the shape a little more. Both blades are just 'straight-edge' but the texture is saying it's received significant use.
  • pixelb
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelb greentooth
    But the curved part of the hilt looks out of place.

Not saying I disagree with you, but at this point I'm resistant to make changes that would affect the geo or the UVs.
    My only critique for your next stylized weapons would be to push the shape a little more. Both blades are just 'straight-edge' but the texture is saying it's received significant use.

Add more detail to the silhouette, or make the blade look cleaner? It is supposed to be very low poly.
  • Azaraen
    Offline / Send Message
    Azaraen polycounter lvl 10
    Im guessing Yak meant something like this: Link and link.

And as for the resistant to change part:
    tumblr_n1hq9s7Nwd1s2ynnio1_500.gif

If it's not for a job and especially if it's just for portfolio! Kill your baby! (in context to art, ofcourse) :)
  • pixelb
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelb greentooth
    I tried to resolve the plainness of the crossguard by pushing the middle part inwards. Also

-thicker handles
    -less boxy pommel
    -changed some forms in the middle band that didn't make a lot of sense
    -turned the handle so the texture is mirrored across the side, not the center
    -more depth in that business between the blade and the crossguard
    -more reflected light coming off the gems

The right sword just ended up with some increased contrast because I couldn't think of anything better.

swords_zpsm4dbngch.png

[sketchfab]3aaacf2f62154e188dffecbfe37b65db[/sketchfab]
    Draenei crystal sword by pixelbutterfly on Sketchfab

[sketchfab]e7033a77c9d34f179ee4ed592c66f197[/sketchfab]
    Draenei grand sword by pixelbutterfly on Sketchfab

If it's not for a job and especially if it's just for portfolio! Kill your baby! (in context to art, ofcourse)

It's for neither. I'd like to make these better than they are now, but it's not a project that's worth polishing into a fine powder.
  • SleepingGiant
    Offline / Send Message
    SleepingGiant polycounter lvl 5
    These are super rad pixelb! Great Job!