Home General Discussion

'Cold calling' Job Applying for Video Game Industry

Hi Team

I have a generalised question that I just wanted to find out if its worked for anyone or if it’s a good idea in general.

I am looking to move into being an Environment Artist in the Video Game industry (as it seems to relate most with my skill set). I have researched a lot about what is required as a skill set and portfolio pieces for such a role.

If anyone is wondering about this also I have found a fantastic would be set of requirements for an Environment Artist.
Edit: the link for that is here; http://eat3d.com/forums/general-chat/what-it-takes-be-environment-artist

I don’t have the required skill level, Yet. But am hard and fast trying to create some props/vehicles to include as portfolio pieces to bulk up my application process.

My question is, given my current level of skill (website here; http://bjhartistry.com/portfolio/ the main page isn’t filled out yet, just the projects added) can I or should I be mass emailing/sending out applications and requests to studios in hopes of getting my foot in the door training?

I am not in a position to work for free (during regular hours) and know that some might say get into it with some buddies and create some levels. I unfortunately have a severe lack of support/friends in the field and can't just.. whip something up with people.

Let me know your thoughts guys!

Replies

• Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    I don't see a point in spending time on sending out applications with your current portfolio to be honest.
    What you have there is not even game art. So yeah, arch-viz and interior design is related to environment art on fundamental level but that relation isn't important enough that someone might look over the fact that these aren't game environments.

don't focus on requirements, especially requirements found in a post written by one person on some forum.
    look at portfolios of people who work in the game industry or do freelance. Look at screenshots from games made by studios you want to apply to. Can you achieve similar quality? If not then you're probably not going to get your foot in their door.
  • Benjamin86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Blaisoid

Cheers for the info, It was reflecting my same thoughts, my portfolio just isn’t up to scratch. I really needs fleshing out with appropriate industry related art.

My colleagues (non related to the industry) are telling me to just apply apply apply, but I think the same in spending so much effort in applications whereas the time should be spent on pumping out artwork/skills.

Appreciate the reply buddy!
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    I'm with blaisoid, its hard enough to get into the game industry but when you have no game art you are wasting your time applying when you could be working on stuff
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep. Especially in the games industry, where there are so many applicants wanting to get in.

We have some great info here
    http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Game_Industry

Also see
    http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Portfolio
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    With your current portfolio and skills, I would probably not apply to studios just yet.

Bluntly, you need to unlearn some of the stuff you've learned doing arch-viz, start from the beginning, and humbly so. Game Art is a whole new world to learn and you kinda need to be open and dedicated to be able to take it all in.

Start by yourself, don't rely on others to help you finish stuff off.

You need to learn the basics of Game Art, low-polys, high-polys, baking, tangent space normal maps, world-space normal maps, how to use a level editor etc etc.

A good place to start is the most common websites for beginners. Like.. Digital Tutors is pretty good.

http://www.digitaltutors.com/subject/game-development-asset-creation-tutorials

Here is a whole section on Game Art , take it in, start small. Then work your way to bigger things.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Yeah,

No game studio will train you to make art.

;/

They'll help you with specifics of integration, maybe their own tools, maybe some engine side stuff, problem solving, and working with things like Version Control and bug tracking software. But you would be expected to make Art at a high level.
  • Benjamin86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Guys

some great feedback thanks, I may be asking the generic questions but I really appreciate the hard facts on the matter. People around me just don't know my situation and fall back on old methods for getting in.

Polycount really is an invaluable community! Thanks for all the links. I had been looking into a new tutoring site as right now I am contemplating somehow.. cancelling my Train2Game contract which has been rather unsatisfactory.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is very true. They will help you to improve and learn new things as technology changes but you're expected to arrive knowing how to produce game ready art.
  • Benjamin86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's an idea, has anyone known someone, or personally gotten an admin job in a games studio? It won’t be a stepping stone into the studio itself in my situation but it would be a great way to spend my last 7 months in London (besides working my ass off on my portfolio) to get some insider experience into the industry.
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi wrote: »
    Yeah,

;/

They'll help you with specifics of integration, maybe their own tools, maybe some engine side stuff, problem solving, and working with things like Version Control and bug tracking software. But you would be expected to make Art at a high level.

Does this apply to evolving ? Say my portfolio is average , could you not learn better techniques from one another like we do on polycount ?
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You are being hired as a production artist and being paid for providing a specific service (creating content.) If you can't flip over a game and take a look at the back of the box and confidently say, "I can totally make that!" Chances are you'll get a canned automated rejection letter in your email about a month after applying.

Studios won't hire people that aren't up to snuff because for one, there are plenty of people applying for that same job that have proven they can do the task well and hit the ground running with minimal management. And two, because if they were to hire someone unqualified not only would that individual not be producing game ready art, but they would also be sapping productivity and taking time away from those in their proximity with a tornado of questions and need for a ton of mentoring / direction / feedback / hand holding.

I get that, but how do people learn then ? Or does that just kinda happen as a natural evolution
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    I get that, but how do people learn then ? Or does that just kinda happen as a natural evolution

(3d)art school
    online courses / tutorials
    books
    mod-teams
    and the polycount forums

something like that
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    I agree with the suggestions here. Get some game ready stuff created and re-apply then!

Look at the artists at the studios you are interested in. Try to find their junior or mid-level artists. If you can create what they have in their portfolio then you should apply.

In terms of env art. The CG Student Challenge (or whatever it's called) just wrapped up. Take a look at the student work on the games side. Those guys are all probably the minimum for entry level AAA work nowadays.

http://www.cgstudentawards.com/next-gen-gaming/student-of-the-year-winners
  • DireWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chances are you'll get a canned automated rejection letter in your email about a month after applying.
    You'd be real lucky to get a rejection e-mail :) Most of the time you'll hear nothing back, except maybe an auto-response mail saying "Thank you for e-mailing/applying."

@skyline5gtr It's up to the individuals how they improve themselves. Be it montorship, tutorial, collage, courses, etc etc the studio doesn't really care. It's all about the hours you put in. Keep working, ask feedback from the right people, keep your mind open and you'll get better.

Tech side like pipeline TD are different. Studio would want you to have strong programming foundation and for the most part WILL train you because pipeline developing seriously is not something you can learn on your own.
    Benjamin86 wrote: »
    Here's an idea, has anyone known someone, or personally gotten an admin job in a games studio? It won’t be a stepping stone into the studio itself in my situation but it would be a great way to spend my last 7 months in London (besides working my ass off on my portfolio) to get some insider experience into the industry.

Any position in a game studio would be great if you ask me. The important thing is you get to know the artist. This is really valuable, they can give feedback to your work, you can watch and learn from them, and when you think you have created a decent enough piece, show them and they may even assign you an art task.

Make sure the job leaves you some spare time to improve your skill tho.
  • sziada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sziada polycounter lvl 11
    basically research, research, research and create, thats whole process to it, if you really want to do this you have to put in the hours. keep posting your stuff here and get feedback is probably your best place to start atm.
  • Benjamin86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys

A final thanks for all the opinions discussed on this. I am creating a course of action to spend a good 6 months-year perfecting my art abilities, then I'll be moving over to Canada to give a shot at a job over there on a 2 year visa.

Meanwhile I'll try for some admin/facilities type roles on the studios as I have plenty experience of that thus far.

Thanks again to everyone who added!