Home Contests & Challenges Archives Chivalry: Medieval Warfare

Chivalry UGC Questions and Answers

Replies

• Frank the Fish
    but you can check the mip-level of your texture by double-clicking on it in the asset browser and checking the LODBias number. if this is automatically getting set to a lower mip, maybe you can just set it back to 0

no sorry this does not seem to be the problem i had a look and the LOD Bias is set to 0 but it is still streaming down the textures. any ideas?
    http://i.imgur.com/fnaSOG2.png
    thanks.
  • Dylan Brady
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    no sorry this does not seem to be the problem i had a look and the LOD Bias is set to 0 but it is still streaming down the textures. any ideas?
    http://i.imgur.com/fnaSOG2.png
    thanks.

Are you by any chance running the game on low texture settings?
  • Frank the Fish
    Are you by any chance running the game on low texture settings?
    I did not think I was running the game at low settings at first because I have always played Chivalry on the highest settings. But turns out I was running custom settings. I figure that these must have been derived from the low settings and increased to look like the high quality settings. Haha I can’t believe it, I would never have thought to check this. Thanks Dylan this seems to of solved my problem.
  • Imperium101
    haha well we have put the new set of UGC items in the beta branch, so I guess thats kind of a soft announcement, but we'll have a fixed version ready to be set live very soon. but if you want to see what items were added go ahead and load up the beta

@pernach, sorry man can you tell me wether you want to see your item on a characters head or just see it in the editor? because if you have put your item into the editor just throw into a level and check it out.
    However if you want to play the game wearing it thats much harder.

Well, I wanted to check if my sword had been added, or if I should forget about it forever and move on.

How can I download the beta ?
  • Pernach
    Well, I wanted to check if my sword had been added, or if I should forget about it forever and move on.

How can I download the beta ?
    In steam library
  • Imperium101
    Pernach wrote: »
    In steam library

Thx, I checked. I guess my sword will never be added. Well, good luck to all other 3D Designers !
  • Dylan Brady
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    Thx, I checked. I guess my sword will never be added. Well, good luck to all other 3D Designers !
    Thats not necessarily true. we have plans to release more of the content on the workshop in the future.
  • Zelfit
    Offline / Send Message
    Zelfit polycounter lvl 8
    Hi. Since my sword included, is there a chance I can get a copy for myself?

EDIT: I got it already, thanks.
  • JO420
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Would it be possible to submit a version of a weapon that has the color scheme Agatha and Mason have? For example I just made a Claymore sword and I can easily do a red and blue version for each faction.

A: we had to discuss this internally I think we're going to say no. It confuses things with our rules for not having team specific weapons. Sorry.
  • JO420
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for the reply. One more question. I have been updating some of my weapons with screenshots,but I have not been able to find where the complete maps for the game are. I look in the Examplemaps folder,but despite all the maps seemingly being there. Most maps are rough block outs of the levels and not the actual levels. Are these amps in a location I am missing?
  • elwebbaro
    Offline / Send Message
    elwebbaro polycounter lvl 4
    The maps are located at: \chivalrymedievalwarfare\UDKGame\CookedPC\AOC\Levels
  • JO420
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
  • Imperium101
    Thats not necessarily true. we have plans to release more of the content on the workshop in the future.

It looks like it's true. My sword is never going to be added.
  • JO420
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Quick question about the heavy XBOW and skinning it. Is there a special process to skinning it? When I import your example in game, its one mesh along with a skeletal rig to it. Would all the moving parts have to be separate and linked to a specific bone? Or if i make it,more or less the original of the heavy Xbow and use the same bone rig,will it just work?

I have not made a bow yet, due to the possible complexity of the rigging,but is it easier then I imagine?

ANSWER: Its Fairly easy, however the process varies depending on what 3d Package you are using. In max you can use the skin wrap modifier, or in Maya you can use the copy skin weights tool. Ideally your mesh is one object with each vertex influenced by the correct bones.
  • JO420
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome thanks for the reply,also that is one sexy looking new Vanguard looking model. Look forward to seeing it in game.
  • JO420
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Hello, one more quick question. How do you guys feel about taking an existing asset I have made an retexturing it as a new workshop item? I added the grunt set which has a plain, unadorned helmet as part of the set. I was thinking of doing the same helmet,but doing a complete retexturing of it that is adorned with acid etchings to give the helmet a Mason motif to it. The model would be the same but the look of texture would be completely different . It may be the case of me trying to please everyone,because in the end I want to make hear Chiv players will like and buy, but before I proceed I figured I would be better off asking.

A: We would not integrate two textures for a single model as we want to have items that are varied in both shape and the materials. You are welcome to try a retexture and see if you get a more positive reaction from the workshop community, but again, we will not integrate both versions.
  • Pernach
    I want to know, сan I make a shield to chivalry, and if yes, what points I should consider?

A: Yes! You can make shields! You just want to make sure that while creating your new shield you are conforming to the same size as the original model to make sure it is representative of the shield hitbox.
  • JO420
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Also is the warbow mesh and skin you guys provide set up correctly ? When I compare it to the longbow and short. The mesh is rotated and unaligned to the bone set up. So I want to make a longbow. But I am hesitant because I'm afraid it won't work as it is.
  • JasonLavoie
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    I believe when you export the Longbow from your 3d package (I used max for mine) it was rotated on its side, but once in game it was correct.
  • JO420
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    @Annun thanks for the answer. I figured that would be the case. I was trying to please two sides and I figured one way or another someone would not like it.

@Jason The longbow is not what worries me,the longbow looks properly set up. The warbow however seems rotated at the wrong angle and misaligned with it's bone set up. So it's hard to know of it will work. I also use 3ds Mac too.
  • JO420
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    This is what i mean, to the left is the longbow,that looks properly set up. To the right is the warbow which doesnt seem to have a skeletal system that fits with the model.

A: The scale/rotation of the warbow is in fact correct, even though it isn't set up 'properly'. When rigging your new skin, set the angle to the same as the warbow and skinweight it in that position. Sorry for the confusion. There may be a way to transfer to skinweights from one model to the other in your 3d package.

19548292095_e34485cf8d_o.jpg
  • JasonLavoie
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Looks like the skin weighting may have been corrupted in that fbx?
  • sordelko
    Guys, can i get my set free or need to buy it? =))
    tnx.

A: If you have not yet received your item yet in game please send an email to contact@tornbanner.com with 'UGC content creator' in the heading. Include a link to your steam profile, and a link to your steam workshop item that has been implemented.
  • JO420
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    sordelko wrote: »
    Guys, can i get my set free or need to buy it? =))
    tnx.

They will give it to you,my guess today.
  • sordelko
    JO420 wrote: »
    They will give it to you,my guess today.
    Ok, tnx U! =))
  • JO420
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Any chance you guys can give the warbow model file a look to see if by some chance the weights have gone corrupt or at least confirm its as it should be?
  • Selaznog
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
    Hey guys, is this info accurate?
    https://tornbannerjira.atlassian.net/wiki/display/CHIVCOM/Shortsword

It says the upper limit is 5000 tris but your model is 1200. Mine's at 2300 right now. Should I drop it?
    Here's what it looks like
    render_01_by_julionicoletti-d9a32wb.png

A: We set a general limit for UGC items, so the 5k limit is correct, but if you're able to accomplish it in 2300 then that's awesome! So no, don't drop it!
  • Selaznog
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, another question. The blades on swords take up a lot of UV space. Is it better to have a lot of blank space but keep everything the same texture quality, or make the hilt twice as big as the sword on the UV sheet?

Typically I'm used to keeping everything the same texture density but I noticed on the reference short sword the UV shells weren't the same ratio to eachother.

A: Depending on the proportions of your object you might want to use a non-square texture, ie 1024x512 in order to best fit the shapes you need.
    I would say if you cant get it all to fit at the same textel density with minimal wasted space it is acceptable to make some of the objects bigger compared to the blade. However it usually isn't necessary if you use a non-sqaure texture
  • elwebbaro
    Offline / Send Message
    For swords I usually use non square maps, those you can fill up pretty nicely with enough texture density
  • Selaznog
    Offline / Send Message
    elwebbaro wrote: »
    For swords I usually use non square maps, those you can fill up pretty nicely with enough texture density

Thanks! Didn't know we could do nonsquare maps.
  • Selaznog
    Offline / Send Message
    The polehammer reference mesh is offset in +z by a small amount. The joint is right on the grid however. I'm guessing I should offset my mesh to match the reference right?
    EDIT: I did which seems right.

But now when I import my mesh into the engine, it's about 3 time's as big as the default one, even though I matched the size in Maya with the reference mesh.

A: make sure your units are set to centimetres and check the FBX export setting to make sure it isnt scaling it on export
  • sordelko
    Tornbanner, сan you give me free copy of my set (royal squad)?
  • JO420
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Anyone else experiencing ambiguous packages in the UDK? A lot of the stuff i have uploaded in the past doesn't load any more,so its a redo of the item or any other ideas on how to fix this issue?
  • elwebbaro
    Offline / Send Message
    You get ambiguous packages of the skins that made it into the game, because your chiv directory will have 2 copies of the files. The one from the SDK that you made, and the one shipping with the game. To fix it you just have to move the .upk files from your SDK somewhere else.
  • JO420
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    elwebbaro wrote: »
    You get ambiguous packages of the skins that made it into the game, because your chiv directory will have 2 copies of skin packages. The one from the SDK that you made, and the one shipping with the game. To fix it you just have to move the .upk files from your SDK somewhere else.

Lovely,ill give that a try,thank you!
  • JO420
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Any chance to make custom made helmets usable in game so we can preview how they look. I find there is a variance in the final look to materials when you compare to what you see within the preview of the editor and what you see in game. Any way to make this possible so the final look of helmets we make are to our liking?
  • elwebbaro
    Offline / Send Message
    I believe crushed has found a way to add modded helmets much like the weapon skins, but he told me that the process is even more cumbersome. I'm sure he'd tell you how to do it. 
    But in my opinion, the easiest and quickest way would still be to place your helmets around the different maps and environments to get a good idea on how well they hold up in different lighting conditions. Never trust the actual preview window itself, it's just a directional light without any cubemap reflections or anything, so materials never look like they would in game.