Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

HandPainted Improvment

Avenger84
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Avenger84 polycounter lvl 9
Hi guys really looking to improve my hand painted textures so any advice or tips would be good I really want to take my hand painted work up a level

tiled_Stones_zpsiucvw9qk.png

Replies

• poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    First, your grout. This gives the items scale. Right now it's way too thick and even, implying the stones are very tiny, but then the grass implies they are medium sized. Make your grout lines thinner.

Color. This is a huge one, you are basically shading with linear white to black. Taking a brown item and adding white to highlight, or black to shadow. Objects have a ton of life in the color transitions from lit to shadow and highlight, and variations from object to object. (meaning even if you find a lively tan color to highlight with, don't use it on every single stone).
  • Avenger84
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First, your grout. This gives the items scale. Right now it's way too thick and even, implying the stones are very tiny, but then the grass implies they are medium sized. Make your grout lines thinner.

Color. This is a huge one, you are basically shading with linear white to black. Taking a brown item and adding white to highlight, or black to shadow. Objects have a ton of life in the color transitions from lit to shadow and highlight, and variations from object to object. (meaning even if you find a lively tan color to highlight with, don't use it on every single stone).

good advice thank you :)
  • Kid.in.the.Dark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kid.in.the.Dark polycounter lvl 6
    My biggest concern with this is the harsh under shadow that surrounds each rock piece... it comes off very graphics cartoon like (unless that's the style you're aiming for then ignore this)... if you aren't then I'd tone down the black outline because comparing it to the harsh highlights that you have on the rock tiles it makes your texture far too noisy and unpleasant to the eye. Also the shadow under the rock tiles gives it the sensation that the rock tiles are floating above the dirt base which isn't what you're going for I'm assuming.

Generally with my own rule of thumb is that rocks have a value range that's not too extreme... Also I second what poopin said about using whites and blacks for your highlight values... always consider the environment you're painting in... if it's a grass land... have a tint of green as your rim light and have some yellow/blue for your sky and sun light...

your brightest values (highlights = yellow
    your medium values /shadow areas = blue
    and your rim light coming from the opposite direction from your key light = green

That's how I approach my hand painted textures.

Hope that helps!
  • Avenger84
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the tips I agree that it looks a bit cartoony. I actually do use blue as a shadow colour rather than black but I guess the hue I use is too dark. Thanks again :)
  • MephistonX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MephistonX polycounter lvl 9
    It kinda looks like you used the bevel and emboss tool in photoshop, try painting these bevels and surfaces yourself, that way you can change the depth and height of different tiles giving a more natural varied look
  • Avenger84
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MephistonX wrote: »
    It kinda looks like you used the bevel and emboss tool in photoshop, try painting these bevels and surfaces yourself, that way you can change the depth and height of different tiles giving a more natural varied look

Hi I didnt use any bevel or emboss all the bevels are handpainted
  • Avenger84
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok here is another practice at trying to get better with hand painted textures,The model is 380 tris

screenshot221_zps6btzh30m.png
  • Uberren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uberren polycounter lvl 11
    I'm not seeing an image with your last post.