Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Post Apocalyptic Humvee

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Damian Nachman polycounter lvl 6
Here's a little something I'm working on!

Texture Work:
?format=750w
LP Work:
?format=1500w&storage=local
HP Work so far:
?format=1500w

Let me know what you think.

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    What kind of post apocalypse is this humvee in?
    Right now , it definitely looks cool, but most of these additions on the body just seem to be for war purposes.
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    Looks good for now but like others said, it looks far to clean and put together for post apocalypse
  • clinington
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    clinington polycounter lvl 10
    Looks good. Have you seen the vehicle art in the upcoming Mad Max game (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7uWr1bJvw0)? Might be good for inspiration.
  • Damian Nachman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the posts guys!

Got some nicer GI renders for proper presentation"
    ?format=1500w
    What kind of post apocalypse is this humvee in?
    Right now , it definitely looks cool, but most of these additions on the body just seem to be for war purposes.

After watching Mad Max, I cam across this concept, and decided to go pretty close to the concept.
    latest?cb=20130607004003
    Its definitely more war-oriented, but still has some post apocalyptic vibe imo.
    Probably gets used by a well organized bandit-army, rather than some filthy survivors! ;D
    Looks good for now but like others said, it looks far to clean and put together for post apocalypse
    Sup man!
    Will give it some heavy wear during the normal overlay/texturing stage, but I rather keep the high poly fairly clean. That way I can create some interesting variations of the asset.
    Looks good. Have you seen the vehicle art in the upcoming Mad Max game (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7uWr1bJvw0)? Might be good for inspiration.
    Thanks mate, didn't even know they were working on a game.
    Will check it out!
  • clinington
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the posts guys!

After watching Mad Max, I cam across this concept, and decided to go pretty close to the concept.
    latest?cb=20130607004003

Had a feeling you were going for something like Mad Max :)
  • Skumtron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skumtron vertex
    I want to ride it through the gates of Valhalla, shiny and chrome, witness me!
  • Smoothbrain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Smoothbrain polycounter lvl 5
    This is cool! Mind if I chime in with my two cents? If nothing else it's a bump, right?:)

my first thought upon seeing this is,
    "Wow. Must be an apocalypse where all the roads are cleared and well-maintained!"

off-roading-diagram.gif

Adding the (albeit cool) 'cow catcher/ram' on the front bumper makes for a completely neutered obstacle-climbing capability. The HMMWV/ Humvee's design was for a near-90 degree approach angle, making it quite capable of navigating obstacles. With the cow catcher, this thing will now get stuck on... a sidewalk.

It IS a salvageable idea however, don't fret. Remember in the Mad Max: Fury Road movie, Furiosa's war rig had a similar feature, and it had no trouble with the whoops and dunes in the desert and the rocks?

mad-max-fury-road-cars-the-war-rig-tatra-t815-truck-imperator-furiosa-vehicles.jpg

have a look at how it's mounted- it's on two small backhoe arms. For clearance, it can be raised, and for plowing or ramming, it can be lowered. Very much like a snow plow, seen here:

file_1_1.jpg

So if you could find a way to imply that this isn't a redneck-engineered

"Hey Billy I'ma weyuld (correct Hillbilly pronunciation of 'weld') me a buncha spikes to the bumper, yee haa!"

idea, but rather a purpose-built addition to the vehicle, that'd be a great move. I can see the practicality of a battering ram/ cow catcher/ plow- clearing the roadways of debris, for example. Or defeating a gate to gain entry to an area. Or a wall, even.

On top of the grill guard you've got what looks like a waffleboard, or perforated steel plating, or a 'sand ladder' -
    _MG_0309.jpg
    Great touch, definitely adds to the aesthetic of an all-capable conquer-all-terrain vehicle. Not sure your implementation shows it as what it is, however. It looks like it's solid-mounted.

here's an explanation of the purpose of these things:
    http://expeditionportal.com/overland-journal-sand-ladder-test/

A quick reverse search of that image shows it's a unit from a Command & Conquer game- http://cnc.wikia.com/wiki/Humvee_(Project_Camacho)

I'm really impressed with how close you got to the concept. If you want to stop there, by all means just match the crazy design there, that's got its own coolness factor of course.

Good likeness of the XM312 on the side, and with a little more ref searching and polish you could totally push the detail of the side gun. https://www.google.com/search?q=xm312&rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS544US544&es_sm=122&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=9eOeVcDpMsXs-AHGwpvABA&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAg&biw=1164&bih=854

Question- why did you decide to place the mount in a manner where the driver's side door couldn't open? The B pillar between the driver front and driver rear doors is just a few inches back, why not mount it there?

For pushing this design beyond the concept, if you'd like, have a look at this video, it's a walkaround of an arguably decent 'Postapocalyptic' vehicle- [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mX-_rM4Y2Mc[/ame]

On the rear it looks like you tried to go for some kind of exhaust stacks like you see in large OTR trucks-
    peterbilt-379-for-sale.jpg
    I'm not sure why, as spare fuel seems more paramount to increase the operational range of this vehicle, presuming it's some kind of scout or spearhead vehicle.

So what about, if you want to keep those large cylinders on the back (they do balance out the nose-heavy 'plow') maybe consider switching the redundant 'exhaust' for something like this- a race pit stop quick fill fuel jug
    http://www.racereadyproducts.com/fuel-dump-cans/ims-quick-fill-fuel-dump-cans/
    0e565867_imsdc11wdbm640x480.jpg
    - these are designed to rapidly refill a tank, as in about 11 gallons in a few seconds. If you've ever filled a dry tank with a 'jerry can' or a spare gas can, you'll know even a gallon or two can take upwards of several minutes. This decision to go with a quick fill jug could help reinforce the aesthetic of 'stop for nothing, but if you do have to stop make it quick'

Also, I'm not sure why there are... three exhaust pipes.

As for the dually rear wheels- before any other gearheads cry out that it's not possible for an independent rear suspension vehicle to have dually wheels, have a look here:
    a5a7a6b1.jpg
    http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f42/irs-dually-discuss-483562/

it has been done.

it's also easily believable that whoever took over this humvee did a quick-and-dirty rear axle swap for a solid axle, and pulled the axle from a superduty pickup truck or something- adding to the aesthetic of a ramshackle beater truck humvee- beater in the sense of ugly as hell but mechanically capable.

If you're wondering what I mean by independent rear suspension- a humvee has irs/ifs for its suspension (independent rear, independent front suspension)
    have a look here-
    p29.jpg

there's debate over the pros and cons of solid vs independent axles, you can read up on the net and this article- http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/suspension-brakes/1308-frontend-feud-ifs-vs-solid-axle/

For developing the wheels a bit more, have a look at the realworld double beadlock 12 bolt wheels- http://www.trailworthyfab.com/H1-Hummer-Wheels/
    d-17515.jpg

actually, having another look at the door armor- it's not possible to open those doors! If you want to make the conceit that all crew ingress and egress out of the gunner hatch, well sure! it certainly makes sense, prioritizing armor over easy egress (though that seems a bad tradeoff, if there's a fire or something)

Another note on the armor- it makes sense that one would mount a supercharger to the engine, a 'blower'- to increase compression, "add horsepower" - to offset the extra weight of the armor plating- I know this isn't your design, but I'm just appreciating some of the thought the designer put in.

more food for thought:
    https://youtu.be/HfjcUpEP6hM?t=542

in the concept there appears to be a roll of fabric over the driver, perhaps you can imply this is camouflage netting? you'll see in the video link the possible utility for something like that in a 'postapocalypse' setting.

I'm going to guess the plumbing pipe over the rear tires are acting as somewhat of a 'tube fender', possibly on the driver's side to keep the gunner from falling into the rear wheel, on the passenger side to keep that 'smoke stack' from flopping into the rear wheels when it breaks off.

So yeah, overall, it's neat to see the thought you put into the additions, but to make this yours, yknow, maybe sprinkle a bit of critical thinking over the design, try to picture possible usage scenarios of everything you've strapped and bolted and mounted to the thing, and use that to tell a story!

Keep it up man, it's looking pretty great so far!

(Also, I partly put more effort into this crit than usual because, well, your name is Damian. My name, by the way, is Demian. So... I felt a kinship. Hehe.)
  • Damian Nachman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome feedback.

Holyshitballs!
    That's by far the best piece of feedback I have ever gotten.. EVER.
    Going over all the points you made, and will try to implement some. Mainly the detail on the side-turret, the camo netting, and coming up with a cool looking idea to raise the battering ram.

The vehicle feels super wacky to me, so I'm definitely keeping the exaggerated craziness of the concept as a higher priority over the actual functionality. That being said, a bit more believability is always good.
    Can't even being to point out how awesome your feedback is though. Currently watching though the HBO Documentary, and its fascinating.

Thank you so much man. Awesome name you got there ;D
    clinington wrote: »
    Had a feeling you were going for something like Mad Max :)

That movie is so good. definitely on everybody's mind right now.
    Skumtron wrote:
    I want to ride it through the gates of Valhalla, shiny and chrome, witness me!

God that mixup of mythology and chrome is brilliant. :)
  • Smoothbrain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was so afraid I'd pissed you off; I've been f5'ing your thread often. So relieved you weren't pissed!

I've just recently returned to the land of polygons and vertices (meaning 3d work) and I'm really trying to get the rust off. I really like how clean the presentation of your piece is and i'm tryibg to find a decently quick and clean way to post wips-

What'd you use for a render set up? This isn't loaded, trying to trip you into saying it's a preset so i can yell noob. I'm asking earnestly, it's pretty clean, and helps with the read on broad planes and the small stuff.

Also i gotta find the subscribe button on this damn thing.

Any estimates on when I should check back and see updates? There's something so gleefully carefree and kinda fun about this design, you were right on with the comment you made about keeping the energy and spirit of the concept. I'd just like to see if there's ways to delay the bullshit alarm being tripped, yknow?

-posted from my phone, not wearing my old-man glasses, sorry for the typos.
  • Damian Nachman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was so afraid I'd pissed you off; I've been f5'ing your thread often. So relieved you weren't pissed!

I've just recently returned to the land of polygons and vertices (meaning 3d work) and I'm really trying to get the rust off. I really like how clean the presentation of your piece is and i'm tryibg to find a decently quick and clean way to post wips-

What'd you use for a render set up? This isn't loaded, trying to trip you into saying it's a preset so i can yell noob. I'm asking earnestly, it's pretty clean, and helps with the read on broad planes and the small stuff.

Also i gotta find the subscribe button on this damn thing.

Any estimates on when I should check back and see updates? There's something so gleefully carefree and kinda fun about this design, you were right on with the comment you made about keeping the energy and spirit of the concept. I'd just like to see if there's ways to delay the bullshit alarm being tripped, yknow?

-posted from my phone, not wearing my old-man glasses, sorry for the typos.

I can't imagine that anybody would get pissed from such a detailed feedback!
    Welcome back to the world of vert pushing.

As for the tools, the modelling was done in 3DSMax and the rendering in Cycles.
    Will post more wip's next week as I move into the lowpoly stage.
    Thanks for subbing. don't forget to thumbs up and click the like button.

youtube_subscribe_button__2013__by_igniswind-d6369xx.png
  • Smoothbrain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha dude c'mon. You know I meant subscribing to the thread. :)

Found it. Subscribed.
  • Damian Nachman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished up the low poly and bakes of the first set. (Base vehicle only, weapons and other attachments will be on the second set.)
  • Damian Nachman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished with the low poly and bakes of the second set:

Getting ready to start the texturing phase ^^
  • Smoothbrain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm excited to see what you do with texturing!

http://www.govplanet.com/Humvees
    here are some auction humvees, for weathering reference- you can browse and gather shots of real-use, real-world weathering as I believe you should, rather than downloading a pack of 'grunge alphas' and 'weathering stencils' and slapping them all over the place willy nilly with no critical thinking nor understanding demonstrated.

Keep it up!
  • Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    The model itself is looking really nice and detailed, and I do like how you've added in some scratching and wear to it.

If you're still going for a "used" vibe I think it can still be pushed further though in terms of the form/structure being worn out besides the scratching. I hope you don't mind but I did a little color chart for you. Red circles being I'm not sure if having tape there makes sense at all beyond the world of cartoon/icon illustration. IE, what is the tape actually holding together there besides covering up a possible bullet hole? Would someone tape a bullet hole if the only thing on the other side was empty space or more metal?

oqGU75P.jpg

The blue circles generally meaning a possible area to show more damage in terms of pieces being knocked off or actually bent. IE pieces that stick out from the main body like the side mirrors have a higher chance of being knocked off or bent. Due to the thin nature of pipes those could be bent easier as well. The side skirts might have dings in them from driving down a narrow corridor or hitting a rock/curb, a couple of the spikes in the front could of been bent up/down/broken off, etc from ramming into other objects.

I'd leave things like the tape for areas where liquid or emissions might actually be leaking from like the pipes, holding together a side mirror that got torn off, or sealing a torn eletrical wire. The lights on the top could be slightly rotated so not everythings perfectly straight, maybe a couple got shot and broken in the middle of the night (light sources would be targets for firing towards. They're both a shoot this way beacon, and a military target as if the enemy can't see you they can't shoot you.)

Basically imagine if you were driving this thing in Grand Theft Auto for a few minutes during a police chase and that might help you figure out what might get damaged or bent. Then imagine you drove the Humvee back to base and had to put everything back together with a limited amount of time and resources. A door might be taken from another vehicle and welded on as the last one got knocked off or blown away in a quick escape, etc.

Anyways I hope that might help spark some further ideas.

Really great work on the modeling! Looking forward to the finished piece :D
  • Damian Nachman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Texturing work so far:
    ?format=750w
  • clinington
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice! It looks great, only thing really sticking out is the flag. I think the ripped edges could do with some more damage, looks a little unnatural as it is.
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Great work!
    Missed the wireframe of the lowpoly. You should drop it in an environment when you are done.
    Love this thing.
  • Damian Nachman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    clinington wrote: »
    Nice! It looks great, only thing really sticking out is the flag. I think the ripped edges could do with some more damage, looks a little unnatural as it is.

Thanks alot man! I Think I'll try chipping it away with alphas. I Think it might do the trick.
    kanga wrote:
    Great work!
    Missed the wireframe of the lowpoly. You should drop it in an environment when you are done.
    Love this thing.

Apperciated. Will do either that, or a nice pedestal. Great idea!