Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Gorgon Pistol

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
aaronmwolford polycounter lvl 8
Hey guys,

Started a new project. Decided to tackle the Gorgon Pistol from Gears of War. High poly complete as of now, but definitely open to C&C. Let me know!

GorgonPistol01_zpsbirmel0b.jpg

Replies

• Deforges
    Offline / Send Message
    Deforges polycounter lvl 11
    looks pretty sweet although you should have a few shots without the magazines so we can see more of the gun. You look like you have some cool details but I can't see them! A FPS view would be nice too.
  • Gazu
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
    Yeah, some shots without Magazines would be cool.
    Nice HP!
  • aaronmwolford
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys! I will render some shots without the magazines on the low poly for sure as well as an FPS view. Stay tuned.
  • aaronmwolford
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys. Newest shot of the low poly wireframe with normals and AO baked. As always C&C welcome.

p19ppdk0c21866oj717jsom8jca3_zpsntzv1cm3.jpg
  • jhoythottle
    Offline / Send Message
    jhoythottle polycounter lvl 7
    Looking good man! I wish there was a way to make the normals on the handle pop more. The cloth and straps look just a little flat. But if a hand will be covering them in first person anyway- it shouldn't matter too much. Maybe once you start texturing, you can give that area some heavier contrast and painted shadows to give it more depth. That's a tiny nit-pick though. Looks really nice.
  • Polygoblin
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    you could have saved quite a bit of geo on the recessions by just baking them in. Most will not show any change to the silhouette within any in-game view. 16k isn't too high but you want to optimize all you can. That said, bake looks good. And next time be sure to move the magazine so we can see the pistol unobstructed. besides hiding the areas you've spent most of your time working, this makes for poor composition of your wips.

can't wait to see your textures!
  • aaronmwolford
    Offline / Send Message
    Jacob: Thanks man! I'll go back and play with the AO a bit to see if I can make the contrast pop on the handle.

Polygoblin: Thanks for the feedback. I definitely will go back and get rid of some of the recessions, but I wanted to keep some that were closer to the player's view for light to bounce from. I'm thinking I can definitely get rid of the ring shapes on the front of the magazine. As far as rendering I was planning on removing the magazine in the final textured shots, but will keep that in mind going forward. Thanks again!
  • aaronmwolford
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a thought. Do ya'll think I should remove the recessions on the sides of the magazines? It would save polys, but I don't want to cripple the affect by doing so.
  • Polygoblin
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    thing about magazines is they are always out of view from the player, being under the gun and all. reload anims typically move very fast and character hands usually cover at least a third of the magazine *when* reloading so geo there tends to be wasted, especially the top areas that are hidden inside the mag well 80% of the time. So yes, focus on removing just about everything that doesn't contribute to the sil on magazines.

I agree about the recessions in areas that will be closest to the player in FPV though. Even when it doesn't contribute to the sil, the point about light bouncing better in those focal areas can be an important factor.
  • aaronmwolford
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks. Yea I tend to use that methodology as well with the magazines, however these ones are a huge part of the gun. I'll check it out in first person and make a decision from there.
  • 3dReaper
    Offline / Send Message
    3dReaper polycounter lvl 4
    The grooves on the gorgon mags are much more rounded and less chiseled.

Looks like you are missing the guard over the mags as well, and the locust symbol needs to be a bit more pronounced.

I would bake the mag grooves into the LP as well, but leaving the geo would not be that bad. Good choice for a gun, looks great!

latest?cb=20120429113441
  • Polygoblin
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    if you are still unsure, do two bake tests. one with and one without the geo. that should simplify the decision
  • aaronmwolford
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks 3D. Yea I purposefully left out the guard. Wasn't a fan of the design. I'll work on making the locust symbol more visible. Good catch on the grooves being to chiseled. I'll fix!