Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Upgrading portfolio

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Veezen polycounter lvl 9
Few days ago I decided to change design of my portfolio.

The old one isn't that bad imo, but I think it's not catchy and I waste a lot space that's why I decided to make new version. It's still a lot to do, but I think I can show you my current result. Just easy stuff (HTML + CSS and few lines of JS, nothing else).

Old:
www.veezen.pl

New:
www.veezen.pl/testing/ (WIP)

Main goals:
- try to not waste space on website
- make everything minimalistic, without using sliders etc.
- fit (width) to all kind of screen resolution
- 2 "soon" images will be for environment and sculpts

What do you think?

Replies

• DireWolf
    Not sure I like how they scale smaller with browser size. Might work great for those who likes to browse full screen I suppose which I usually don't.

I think having a fixed size (or a minimum size) where the amount per row can be changed automatically would work better. Look at Artstation for example.
  • Shrike
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    It dosnt really look like an upgrade to be honest , mainly the info page looks better

you should immediately notice that your renders are way too dark. on your own page youll instantly see the insane contrast between the landscape and the rest

Your logo icon is way too big still compared to the text, and you use one font for that one, then another grungy one for the game artist in a different style, and then your site uses a different font family again and the SOON font is again different.

https://hostr.co/file/htg5a2RSC8G9/Veezeb.png
    I used arial, the email looks bad tho. Caps Arial is hot, normal is not.

I like the current info page, but make sure your text is smaller than your logo text and get another blue that is not eye cancer : P
    Are you using weebly ?
  • Veezen
    Offline / Send Message
    Veezen polycounter lvl 9
    @Direwolf Thanks, I will try to do something with these images.
    @Shrike "Soon" images are just only placeholders which will be changed in later stage.
    About these font size, good that you mention about this, I will definitely fix it. Thanks.

Nope, everything was coded by me using HTML and CSS. I have used Weebly in past, but I decided to move on to my new domain with hosting service.
  • Veezen
    Offline / Send Message
    Veezen polycounter lvl 9
    So I fixed this problem with images, now they aligned to size of page. If we zoom by ctrl+scroll we can check how it works, it will be work great on smartphones and tablets.

There is still few things to do:
    - clean the mess in .css file
    - find out how to set proper footer (because when we zoom in, footer overlap last image)
    - try to fix problem with middle mouse click on images to open page in new window, right now it's not working
    - decrease size of image and change font to normal
  • mrgesy
    Offline / Send Message
    mrgesy polycounter lvl 7
    For some reason, when I click on any weapon in your weapons gallery, it doesn't open up an image for viewing. Look into that.
  • GrungyStudios
    Offline / Send Message
    GrungyStudios polycounter lvl 8
    ^Having the same issues, images not loading when i click
  • Veezen
    Offline / Send Message
    Veezen polycounter lvl 9
    Well, because it's not finished :) I should mention about that. I'm focused right now only on gallery functionality, and things that I wrote in last post, after that I will create all the rest.
  • [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 3
    Veezen wrote: »
    So I fixed this problem with images, now they aligned to size of page. If we zoom by ctrl+scroll we can check how it works, it will be work great on smartphones and tablets

Actually it's totally broken on smartphones. I would actually test it on multiple devices or use the debug features of Firefox or chrome.

Right now on my phone your front page's links smash together, and I can only enter the first gallery. That gallery shows images larger than my screen and I can't zoom at all, so I'm stuck looking at a vertical stripe down the middle of all your pieces.

People will definitely look at the site on mobile- it's becoming more and more important to support and test mobile views.
  • 3dReaper
    Offline / Send Message
    3dReaper polycounter lvl 4
    If I were you I would just opt for another site. Art station preferably.

Are you trying to get a job as a website designer? I am not sure if you want to waste your precious time on designing a website.
  • Veezen
    Offline / Send Message
    Veezen polycounter lvl 9
    Actually it's totally broken on smartphones. I would actually test it on multiple devices or use the debug features of Firefox or chrome.

Right now on my phone your front page's links smash together, and I can only enter the first gallery. That gallery shows images larger than my screen and I can't zoom at all, so I'm stuck looking at a vertical stripe down the middle of all your pieces.

People will definitely look at the site on mobile- it's becoming more and more important to support and test mobile views.

Hmmy, that's strange I will try do something with this but at this moment i have other things to do. I have tested it on my Lumia 640 (IE and Opera Mini) and it works fine. Few days ago I made some fixes btw, maybe it works better now. At this moment I will leave my previous one.
    @edit Well this is really strange. Just tested it agan on android phone, and it works fine. Sure, there is one problem with footer overlaping last image, but this page doesn't look "totally broken".

3dReaper wrote: »
    If I were you I would just opt for another site. Art station preferably.

Are you trying to get a job as a website designer? I am not sure if you want to waste your precious time on designing a website.

I would like to have something made by myself because I think ... it looks more professional. I have job right now as 3d artist, but ... you know ... I want to improve my skills and especially the way I presenting my works. TBH I didn't spent a lot of time on it.

@edit
    I just transfered fixes which I made few days ago through ftp, and I hope everything works OK on smartphones. Probably it will be need to press CTRL + F5, need to think how to solve this problem.

Now back to Blender