Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sketchbook and Finished Artwork

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
GabeLamas polycounter lvl 8
Hello there, Everyone! After a long abscence I am now back to posting on Polycount. I would like to kickstart this thread with some new models and artwork.

A few months ago a friend of mine and myself were doing a project for april fools. It was Nester, a fake character reveal for the upcoming game Super Smash Bros.

Concept Art of Nester

I first started drafting some clothing and coloring options.

Concept_Art_Nester_(SD_RGB).png

After that came the modeling. First came the shape and form with some matcap exploration...

Renders_WIP_Nester02_SD.png

Renders_WIP_Nester03_SD.png

Renders_WIP_Nester04_SD.png

...then came the coloring pass...

Renders_WIP_Nester06_SD.png

And here I have the final render.

Nester_Final_Render.jpg

Here are the texturemaps I used for Nester, his two props, and the turntable platform.

Nester

TextureMapSheet_Nester_SD.png

NES Zapper and Bowling Ball

TextureMapSheet_NESZapper_SD.png
TextureMapSheet_BowlingBall_SD.png

Turntable Platform

TextureMapSheet_TurntablePlatform_SD.png

This is the final product. The link is posted below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgyNoeycXg8

My one regret for this project is that I didn't get to rig it as thoroughly as I had done for some of the screenshots. Other than that I am satisfied with the model and how it developed. As always, I look forward to any comments and critiques! Thank You.

Replies

• GabeLamas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello All! Following up on this weeks post I'll be sharing my process and workflow on my most recent project I've done. It's a character called shovel Knight for the game of said character. I collaborated
    again with the same peron I worked with on the Nester project. As you can see there was no concept art needed.

Much of my progress was focused into getting the look and feel of the model. I'd personally like to thank user ionblue over at ZBrushCentral for providing his mkClay Material.
    I think it was a crucial point in providing the final texture used for ShovelKight.

Shovel_Knight_WIP_Render_01.jpg
    Shovel_Knight_WIP_Render_02.jpg

Here is the final render of Shovel Knight. I think this is the first project In which I can say I'm proud of my rigging. It wasn't by no means PERFECT, but for my purposes it got the job done. Trying to mimick some of the
    concept art was a blast. It made the compositing process THAT much more rewarding.

ShovelKnight_SD_RGB.png

For me I was going to use a shader that would have displayed a lot of shininess, but alas the client wanted it to look very clay-like. The final render was used a fake magazine cover.

http://www.operationpowerup.com/2014/06/shovel-knight.html

The Bump Map was the main driving force behind the final render in Maya. As you can see, I have TextureMap comps for the Shovel Knight Model, the Shovel, and the turntable platform.

Shovel Knight
    TextureMapSheet_SK_Knight_SD.png

Shovel
    TextureMapSheet_SK_Shovel_SD.png

Turntable Platform
    TextureMapSheet_SK_Turntable_SD.png

As per having a turntable, you can see the video clip using the link below:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PhuNKK3pyI"]ShovelKnight Turntable - YouTube[/ame]

Alas, that is my process on the Shovel Knight model. Soon I'll be uploading polygon counts and wireframe shots for both Nester and Shovel Knight so stay tuned for that. In the meantime, please share comments and critiques; they are always welcome.
  • GabeLamas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi there, everyone! It's been awhile since I've posted, but I'm back! This here is an introduction to my custom smash bros. characters
    as well as some other projects I've been working on lately and trying to get published.

Yet again this was a collab project between a friend of mine and myself. This project really reminded me of what it means to do low
    poly modeling, especially for the resolution of gaming characters of the N64/ Playstation/ Sega Dreamcast era. Getting to do the
    rigging for these characters was rewarding considering I got to do rigging and put more experience to my rigging skills, yet I
    didn't have to do much compared to other rigs I've done.

Custom Super Smash Bros

Here's the final composited image for the characters. My friend gave me some reference images so I could do the modeling and I got
    inspiration some of them. Playing with the lighting and shadow colors was fun. I liked modifying the image in post to get the lights
    and shadows to match the color scheme of the characters.

SSB64Characters_SD_RGB.png

Texturemaps for the Project

All these Texturemaps were fun to make. All the texture are higher definition than the ones used in the scene files for publishing
    purposes, except for the turntable platform.

Character Texturemaps

TextureMapSheet_SSB64Chars_SD.png

Turntable Platform Texturemaps

TextureMapSheet_SSB64CharsPlatform_SD.png

SSB64 Characters Official Turntable

...and here is the turntable vid.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naiCe5Hlry8[/ame]

Human Anatomy Studies

These are some Human sculpts that I've been wanting to get done for some time now. I made both a male and female sculpt to
    showcase some good ole' anatomy. I'm really glad that I've had the opportunity to rig these models. I love how I was able
    to explore postures with these sculpts through the rig.

Female

Female_Anatomy_Sculpt_SD_RGB.png

Male

Male_Anatomy_Sculpt_SD_RGB.png

Mechanical Car Parts

These are some mechanical parts that I've been inspired to model. I wanted to get more into hard-surfaced modeling after having to
    model, sculpt, and deal with character art. I work in a warehouse so I've come to realize there are many car parts that I could
    use as still-life sketch studies. Here is some concept art for an EGR Valve and Fuel Injector, respectively:

Concept Art for EGR Valve and Fuel Injector

ConceptArt_EGR%20Valve.png

ConceptArt_FuelInjector.png

WIP Screengrabs for EGR Valve and Fuel Injector

WIPSceengrab_EGRValve_01_.jpg

WIPSceengrab_FuelInjectors_01_.jpg

This is what I've been working on lately. Please feel free to give me your thoughts on my artwork and what I've been doing so far. Any
    comments and critiques are greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading,

-Gabe
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    What do your sculpts of the human body look like before the rigging and posing? What did you sculpt it in?
  • GabeLamas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello there, JadeEyePanda! I have some renders on what my sculpts look like with a basic "T-pose"-ish stance
    before I've Rigged and posed them. I pretty much sculpted and resurfaced the models in ZBrush. I then imported
    them into Maya for laying down UVs and Unwrapping.

Female_TPose_SD_RGB.png
    Male_TPose_SD_RGB.png

I just wanted to include some wireframe renders as well as breakdown sheets as to how my models look from a technical standpoint.
    Wireframe, Blinn Shader renders for form, and basic Color renders are displayed.

FemaleModelBreakdown_SD_RGB.png
    MaleModelBreakdown_SD_RGB.png
  • GabeLamas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is some updates regarding my scenery for some car parts. This is a Fuel Injector. There is a High Resolution model and a
    Low Poly version. Hoo boy, getting a model ready for smoothing and trying to get everything into quads is harder than it
    looks. This model showed me that I need to brush up on my low-poly modeling skills. Anyhoo, the higher poly version is optimized.
    I think that's what took up some time today. Next I will be modeling another car part. I was thinking of an oli filter, speed sensor,
    or maybe even some brake pads.

Fuel Injector WIP

WIPSceengrab_FuelInjectors_03_.jpg
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    What does your human sculpts look like IN ZBrush? I can't get a clear read with the breakdown models.

I think also your normals are broken in whatever you're renering in. Do you see how the abs on the man are getting lit from the bottom? That doesn't quite make sense relative to a top-down lighting scheme.
  • GabeLamas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry for the misunderstanding there, JadeEyePanda. I just thought you wanted a general breakdown of the model in Maya. Here are the ZBrush Renders. They each have 5 views of each male and female sculpts and both have renders of Red Wax and Skin Shaders. And yes, now that it's pointed out the lighting does look off. I inverted the Normal/ Bump Texturemap while I was editing the color/ diffuse map in Photoshop. It looked like it would fit but I guess I fooled myself into thinking I could fake underlighting along the torso muscles groups using this method.

Female Red Wax

FemaleZBRender01_RedWax_SD_RGB.png

Female Skin Shader

FemaleZBRender02_SkinShader_SD_RGB.png

Male Skin Shader

MaleZBRender01_SkinShader_SD_RGB.png

Male Red Wax

MaleZBRender02_RedWax_SD_RGB.png

On a side note here is a WIP render of my Fuel Injectors.

WIPRender_FuelInjectors_01_SD_.png
  • GabeLamas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright Everyone! Here is my new WIP for the year. Sorry for the lack of updates in January. Here are some renders for Beldum.

Beldum

WIPRender_Beldum_01_.jpg

Remember, comments and critiques are always welcome.
  • GabeLamas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've finally got around to breaking down my past models. I've included the models that I will be placing in my portfolio. Color renders and shaded renders with a wire-frame layout are in each breakdown image.

--Lightsaber Kukri--

Lightsaber_Kukri_Breakdown_SD_RGB_.jpg

--Nester--

Nester_Breakdowns_SD_RGB_.jpg

--Shovel Knight--

ShovelKnight_Breakdown_SD_RGB_.jpg

--Smash Bros Characters--

SSB64Characters_Breakdown_SD_RGB_.jpg

--T.A.R.D.I.S--

TARDIS_Breakdown_SD_RGB_.jpg

Have fun analyzing these!