Home General Discussion

Experience with Graphic Tablets (Huion)

raderb
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
raderb polycounter lvl 4
Hi guys,

I wanted to ask about two Graphic Tablets; can't decide wich to buy.
The two tablets are the Wacom Intuos Pen and the Huion 1060 Pro.

Now of course i know that if you have the money you can buy Wacom with no worries but i would prefer the Huion for it is bigger and also cheaper (in relation to the Wacom Pen & Touch Medium).

Now my question: Does anyone of you have experience with a Huion Tablet?

Thanks in advance,
raderb

Replies

• Shadownami92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shadownami92 polycounter lvl 7
    I'm currently using a Huion 1060 Pro+ (same just with an SD card reader built in) and so far I really like it. The drivers are pretty good so far for me though they do seem to be improving fast.

You need to uninstall old wacom drivers before you install new drivers into it and you will want to find a guide online on the right order to do things like plug in the tablet first time compared to when to install the drivers and whatnot.

Also having a usb mouse plugged in at the same time can cause conflicts, but I found the workaround for that is just to open up software with the mouse before switching to the pen if you have problems. Doing that and I've had it work in all of the software I have.

Once thing to note is that it doesn't seem to have any real pressure curve controls, though that isn't too big of problem if you have software like Clip Paint Studio that has it's own pressure curve customization tools in it.

The pen does require a charge at first but I've been using it for the last 2 months without having to charge it after the initial charging I did for it when I opened the box. Also the pen doesn't have an eraser end, so if you really want that then the Huion doesn't have it, personally though the software I use has hotkeys for switching to eraser which ends up being more comfortable for me.

Also the thing has a ton of hotkeys on it, so it you use those that's always useful.

Also from my experience their support seems pretty responsive on their tumblr, twitter and via e-mail.
  • raderb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raderb polycounter lvl 4
    Thanks,
    On question about the pressure sensitivity remains though.
    Is it a great problem? I read the same thing on amazon; complaints that the pressure sensitivity doesn't really work.
    Now what can I expect? No sensitivity at all or very little?

The Software I intended to use was Photoshop - so without pressure sensitivity you would always have to change the hardness of the brush? That would be a bit annoying, though I can set a hotkey for that, right?
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Raderb : not having pressure curve control does not mean not supporting pressure sensitivity (however it is very likely that there might be issues in that regard with more exotic programs).

Can't say much more about it though, as I've only had a non-Wacom chinese tablet for about a week or so (Monoprice).
  • Kraftwerk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kraftwerk polycounter lvl 19
    My go with Huion was terrible when it worked it was quite nice, but in the end the driver was a disaster, consantly ragequiting on me for no reason, if they ever manage getting their driver working maybe i give them a chance again but atm NO WAY. Also considering it had 2048 steps of preasure sensitivity it didnt feel any better then the 1024 of my Wacom Bamboo Fun which i reverted back to, after Huion didnt turn out so well.
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    The pressure sensitivity is fine, in my experience you have to use slightly more force than with wacom. For a general tablet though huion is great, I always say if you're going to do freehand illustration, wacom might be better because it has tilt which sort of picks up on the angle you hold the pen.

As a side note you might want to look into the differences between the h610 and h610 pro, because I've heard some prefer the former to the latter. The pro has sort of a textured drawing area, and the pen seems a bit wider since it is rechargable rather than battery operated. Probably all personal preference though.
  • battlecow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    battlecow polycounter lvl 12
    Bigger isn't always better.....:) a big tablet can be unconfortable.No really!

There are quite cheap second hand intuos 4/5 tablets, I still use my intuos 4 medium (A4) that I bought years ago and it still feels fantastic and it has no driver issues :), I even use the intuos pen on it, that's how much I like the tablet. The other tablet looks like a rip off without the functionality of an intuos ( no wheel, not ambidextrous, i'm left handed) and looks quite shitty from a quality standpoint (judging by the pictures). There are second hand intuos protablets on amazon for 200 euros. You need good tools that work, always.
  • raderb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raderb polycounter lvl 4
    Thanks to all for the quick replies.

I'm gonna think about it, maybe I'll give Huion a try. It is just for concepts and sculpting - it's just a hobby so i don't want to spend a lot of money.
  • Shadownami92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shadownami92 polycounter lvl 7
    My experience with my Huion has been a bit different in that it's super sensitive to the point where it even detects the pen if I have a thick sketchbook on top of my tablet.

For me the sensitivity is great and the driver's haven't crashed on my at all. I'm coming from an old Bamboo Fun that only had 512 levels of pressure so I can't compared it to 1024 levels, but I feel a noticable different that is better for me.

From the sound of things I guess Huion must be hit or miss and I got lucky, though I do know that across the board the tablet doesn't seem to work about 90% of the time in Paint Tool Sai.

In terms of the question of ambidexterous settings, the Huion tablet in mind does have a left handed mode in the driver which I currently have active and I feel like the only really cheap part on this is how jiggly the hotkey buttons on the side can be, they still work fine and are nice and clicky, just jiggly. Also the pen nib can feel a bit looser than a Wacom Pen, but it hasn't been that noticable to me.

On a plus side, the micro USB jack on mine is much much stiffer than any of the Wacom tablets I've had experience with. (Almost too stiff at times but I prefer that over a flimsy wobbly plug that breaks easy.)
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    At risk of sounding like a dbag, I think the driver problems are mostly user related, at least on the windows side. For one you have to make sure it's not plugged in while you install the drivers, otherwise windows I guess tries to install its own driver and messes it up.
  • Aabel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aabel polycounter lvl 6
    I've been dabbling with Chinese knock off tablets for about 3 years now and am going to go running back to Wacom.

They work for the most part but are inconsistent in performance across applications and don't support as many features, namely pen tilt (though not many applications support tilt).

They work, they are a great deal, but they are not as good as Wacom.
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    Yeah drivers are a pain in the ass. I love the size though. And it works just as well as a wacom. There's definitely a difference in build quality though. The pen feels very flimsy and I don't really like the feel of the surface. But considering the entire thing cost less than my wacom pen I can't really complain.
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    I have an old Wacom Intuos 3 that I still use (6x11 inch) and a Huion 610 that I bought to carry with my laptop bag. The Wacom is heavy and I wanted a lighter (and cheaper) solution for infrequent visits to clients and such.

I've had the Huion for about a year now. Getting the Huion drivers to work was a royal pain. The tablet still occasionally refuses to recognise the pen, meaning I have to close stuff down, start the driver app from the taskbar, switch it on and check it again. Not good if you've got some company exec who you're trying to impress breathing down your neck. I also have to carry a spare battery for the pen just in case. There's no battery life indicator.

So, I use the Wacom 95% of the time. I've even started taking it out instead of the Huion because of its 100% reliability.

I'd say IMO the Huion and other Chinese/Far East made tablets are good for hobbyists and occasional use - so you'll be fine with that. If you need a dependable tablet for work though, I'd stump up the cash for a Wacom.