Home Unity

Vertex Color, Baking and Other stuff

Hi! To start off, I am super new to Unity and most of its aspects. Literally, I grabbed the program last week and tried to venture into this thing with little coding and 3D optimization knowledge. All I can do is model and animate things.

My assets are made in Maya 2014. I heard importing Maya-made assets of anything is a total pain in the ass, so I was kinda wondering if someone can do a super easy breakdown of "Unity Ready" optimization for models-- rigged/animated and otherwise. I looked up a couple, but I still get really confused...

Also, I use vertex coloring for my models. Much faster for me, as unwrapping UVs and all that drives me up a wall. But the thing is, is that something I shouldn't be doing? Or moreso, is it a bigger hassle to deal with vertex colored models than it is with models with UVs? Does it matter? I did try a few imports, without baking and with (failed) baking, but it never really seemed to matter in the end... :"D

I'm also a little confused on the baking process for vertex colors specifically (believe me, I've been looking up various tutorials as we speak). Baking in general, to be honest, but that's probably something that'll click over time.

tl;dr: I'm reeeeaally new at this...

Examples of my vertex colored stuff-- these were test animations.
tumblr_nqdwwxU4wz1twaku2o4_250.giftumblr_nq8zz1YlG11twaku2o2_r3_250.gif

Replies

• particleman1010
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    particleman1010 polycounter lvl 8
    I'm not sure anyone uses un-textured models anymore. Regardless to whether or not you want to use vertex color, you should be doing UVs and textures. If for no other reason than newer 3D engines such as Unity and Unreal need the model to be UVed so they can bake lighting information.
  • Shadownami92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shadownami92 polycounter lvl 7
    I think that vertex colors is a viable solution for certain game styles. If you don't use lightmaps in Unity or Unreal I don't really see a need to UV unwrap the model anyways and both engines I believe can auto generate lightmap uvs. If you UV unwrap a model without any intent on using textures I believe you would just be needlessly adding to the vert count of the scene.

However if you are just doing vertex colors because you don't like uv unwrapping and not as a stylistic choice I think that may be limiting you as an artist in the long run. Many software suites have made uv unwrapping super easy. If you do any baking I'm pretty sure you want to uv unwrap your model anyways.

As for rigging, that can depend on the game engine on what way is best. Both Unity and Unreal have naming structures it prefers though they can be lenient in terms of naming if you don't plan on sharing animations between different rigs.

Both Unity and Unreal handle FBX files quite well, you can probably do some research on what the best export options for each engine are for FBX exports.

In terms of optimizations I think it entirely depends on what your target platform is. If I recall though for rigging models and exporting, generally you will want to bake down any animation from controllers down to the base skeleton/bones that are skinned to the mesh before export, while bones themselves are supported things like custom constraints, IK and FK controllers generally don't carry over so well. So you can use IK solvers and all those things when making the animations so long as they are controlling the skinned bones and the information is baked down into those bones' animations before export.

Generally the less bones used in a rig the better for performance.
  • Yotty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Woops, may have worded that wrong. I still stand by UV-wrapping is hell (maya's 2014 UV tools leave much to be desired), but I do certainly handpaint/UV when the style calls for it. In this case, vertex coloring is more efficient. Even if I did UV+texture, it'd be the same result, as I was going for the flat look.

Though thank you! I will look into these.
  • SanderDL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SanderDL polycounter lvl 7
    I don't think that Unity, out of the box, support using vertex colours as diffuse. You will have to make a special shader that can do that. Or you can probably find one online somewhere. Also if you want a hard edge between colours like you have in your example. You will have to split the edge there otherwise the colours will bleed into eachother.
  • Shadownami92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shadownami92 polycounter lvl 7