Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Next-Gen Red Dead inspired saloon (UE4)

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Matt_Billeci polycounter lvl 7
For a while now I have been working on a saloon interior that is inspired by the Red Dead series. I am going for a bit of a high end saloon and I still have loads of work left to do. With this project, I really wanted to dive into the PBR workflow and UE4. Probably around 60 % of the textures in here have place holder textures. I had used some of Unreal's textures just to make sure that my lighting would bake out correctly. Most of everything is UVed/Lightmap UVed. The goal is to finish the rest of the those and get to texturing and creating a more dynamically lit scene. Any comments or critiques would be much appreciated!

owEwWs0.png

Uv1CyqW.png

P4EI0xm.png

Some screenshots of just detailed lighting:

dG7AJgO.png

RbuThYh.png

Here are some shots for some of the textured props. The reason I textured these before anything else was to show off some prop studies at GDC and get feedback:

Gpx2KYl.jpg

eFynMfV.jpg

1B0XGzW.jpg

5xIAJys.png

Replies

• Matt_Billeci
    Offline / Send Message
    Update on a wall texture I made in Substance Designer. I'm going to be using this on most of the upper portions on the walls as the base. Later, I plan on breaking this guy up with some decals.

JwLEnVN.jpg

Here are some in engine shots

yIoFHIh.png

Rpz4Z96.png
  • nastobi123
    Offline / Send Message
    nastobi123 polycounter lvl 8
    looks really cool, was wondering how did you do the patterns in your cash register's side ? Zbrush or nDO ? IMO, its way too clean, I understand its an high end saloon. Is the saloon in the mid of service ? or are they closed for the rest of the night ? Its looking really nice tho. keep it up
  • Matt_Billeci
    Offline / Send Message
    @nastobi123 Thanks man. So with the cash register, I modeled out a kit of those ornaments and bashed them together, eventually leading to me baking them on in xNormal.The goal is to create this scene in mid service, so I still have a long ways to go. =)
  • nastobi123
    Offline / Send Message
    woah may I see your kit-bash? ? thats one of my plans this summer. Anyways, about your interior, I assume there would be clumsy patrons accidentally dropping a bottle of wine or something, moved chairs and stuff. How about big-ass paintings on the wall ?? :)
  • Matt_Billeci
    Offline / Send Message
    @nastobi123 so here's the kit of stuff that I used to generate the shapes in my register. I used Scott Homer's Spellbook PDF as reference, it's DEFINITELY worth checking out if you havnt yet.

Xy7MkDm.png

and yeah, man! I totally want to add those sort of details to the scene!
  • pixelpatron
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    This is looking really good, can't wait till you get on lighting. I'd suggest doing a quick lighting pass, you've got enough in there to do so, might inform you on a couple of things. Overall scene has too much brown, I'd try using a green or a red for the wallpaper to give it some color since there is so much brown wood.
  • Matt_Billeci
    Offline / Send Message
    @pixelpatron thanks for the suggestions man! I'm working on a light pass right now and you are totally right about there being too much brown. I'll try converting the wallpaper into a shade of green. I totally dig that. Cheers, dude!
  • locater16
    Offline / Send Message
    locater16 polycounter lvl 8
    The sheeny/plasticy wood all over the place is killing it a bit, place looks brand new and untouched at all, not to mention plasticky again. I can't even see any breaks or nails in the boards or etc. The floor just looks like mysteriously infinitely long plancks of fake wood.

But those props are amazing! The cash register and the lamp in particular look fantastic.
  • Matt_Billeci
    Offline / Send Message
    @locater16 thanks for the feedback man! I'll go back and fix the boards as well as making a pass to increase the roughness values of my wood.
  • locater16
    Offline / Send Message
    locater16 polycounter lvl 8
    Meant more that there aren't any signs of scuffmarks, dirt, wear, or otherwise. And only 2 planks of the texture seem to have any knots. Here's a reference:

saloon-3491-lrg.jpg

You can note that it does indeed get shiny and smooth, shinier even than yours, at times. It's the structure of the wood, or in the case of rendering a normal map, that breaks it up and makes it rough. You can also see the sheer amount of nails needed, that every plank ends up with knots and discoloration along the way and etc.
  • Matt_Billeci
    Offline / Send Message
    locater16 wrote: »
    Meant more that there aren't any signs of scuffmarks, dirt, wear, or otherwise. And only 2 planks of the texture seem to have any knots. Here's a reference:

saloon-3491-lrg.jpg

You can note that it does indeed get shiny and smooth, shinier even than yours, at times. It's the structure of the wood, or in the case of rendering a normal map, that breaks it up and makes it rough. You can also see the sheer amount of nails needed, that every plank ends up with knots and discoloration along the way and etc.

Yeah, I totally get what what youre saying. Thanks for the feedback, man. I dig that ref photo too!
  • beefaroni
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Lighting looks good. It's awesome to see good lighting this early on.

Three quick things I would focus on.

1. Floorboard nails like the other guy mentioned
    2. Work on wood texture a bit. It looks like fake wood, especially in the bar area.
  • Scrambled3D
  • Matt_Billeci
    Offline / Send Message
    @beefaroni thanks for the feedback Chris! You guys are right about the wood. I'll go back and rework them.
  • Matt_Billeci
    Offline / Send Message
    I made some adjustments to the lighting and I adjusted the wall texture to be more of a greyish green. Next I'm going to start getting to the floor and other wood textures you guys suggested to fix.

j7YeCqN.jpg

Uf423L2.jpg

bY29Dgl.jpg
  • beefaroni
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Quick suggestion.

Your lamps are beautiful, but the emissive blows all the details away. Maybe have some that aren't lit?
  • nickcomeau
    Offline / Send Message
    nickcomeau polycounter lvl 4
    The wooden pillars on the sides and behind the bar are very shiny with this new light, I would tone that down, as well as lessening the amount of exposure that the camera sees with the lights. I like the suggestion to have some that are out or even just flickering at the moment to add some variety.

My overall comment for the scene is that it is very clean. Maybe add some dust in the corners or on some of the lamps, etc. It'll make it feel much more realistic.

Great work so far ^_^
  • leleuxart
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    Your lights are really bright, and besides the extra bloom, they're blowing out everything around them. I'd tone them down and then place smaller, weaker lights around the scene to fill in the darker shadows that you might get, or try increasing the bounces if you're using static lighting. If you're not already, you can also use cubemap actors to fill in the dark areas.
  • Matt_Billeci
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the feedback everyone! I essentially re did the lighting, I turned down the bloom a bunch through my camera settings. Aside from that, I also updated my wood textures. I separated the planks, added some nails and varied up the roughness as well. And I added some new meshes to the scene. Next I plan to add textures to the pillars and add textures to the rest of the architecture (walls, ceilings, etc.) Cheers!

QIiNZN8.jpg

JsfkoYh.jpg
  • nastobi123
    Offline / Send Message
    looks really nice. Its coming along.
  • Matt_Billeci
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry for the lack of updates! I have been extremely busy with college finals, graduation and the ceremonies/preparation that go along with it....Now that all the chaos is over, here's an update that I have been working on for the saloon. I reworked the lighting entirely and still have a ton to do.

nnayt9J.jpg
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    really good new lighting :) seemed like night time before.
  • beefaroni
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Great job on the new lighting, especially around the bar area.

Have you tired placing some of UE4s base characters around the scene? A few of the proportions feel a bit off. The door next to the bar, and the chair closest to he camera.

Also, I may suggest changing the lighting outside to like just hitting sunset where you get the nice warm lighting from the sun about to go down. I really love how the warm light plays with the wood and gold in the bar area, but I lose that as soon as my eye moves anywhere else. I think having a warm tone overall would would great. It wouldn't be as realistic but this is art :D
  • nickcomeau
    Offline / Send Message
    nickcomeau polycounter lvl 4
    i really like the new lighting. Great work :) the lighting above the bar may be a bit strong right now though I think
  • Deathstick
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    Looks like it's coming along nicely, keep it up! :)
  • fab-camp
    Offline / Send Message
    fab-camp polycounter lvl 6
    lighting is way better now. keep on!
  • Matt_Billeci
    Offline / Send Message
    After taking some time off personal art, I decided to hop back in the saloon for another go at it. This scene took me a while but taught me nearly entire pipeline for making game art, as well as a ton of software, and helped me land my first job in the industry. There's a lot more I could probably do with this, and the scene could probably benefit from some additional prop population. Maybe one day I'll revisit this, but I became so invested in this for such a long period of time that I think I'll gain piece of mind from starting on something new.

• LaurentiuN
    Offline / Send Message
    LaurentiuN interpolator
    looks really nice mate, great job, now add some characters there for some poker :smile: